Trump, Iran's President Sign Deal to End Mideast War

17 June 2026, France, Paris: US President Donald Trump arrives at the Palace of Versailles to attend an event marking the 250th anniversary of US independence. Photo: Julien Mattia/Le Pictorium via ZUMA Press/dpa
17 June 2026, France, Paris: US President Donald Trump arrives at the Palace of Versailles to attend an event marking the 250th anniversary of US independence. Photo: Julien Mattia/Le Pictorium via ZUMA Press/dpa
TT

Trump, Iran's President Sign Deal to End Mideast War

17 June 2026, France, Paris: US President Donald Trump arrives at the Palace of Versailles to attend an event marking the 250th anniversary of US independence. Photo: Julien Mattia/Le Pictorium via ZUMA Press/dpa
17 June 2026, France, Paris: US President Donald Trump arrives at the Palace of Versailles to attend an event marking the 250th anniversary of US independence. Photo: Julien Mattia/Le Pictorium via ZUMA Press/dpa

US President Donald Trump and Iran's president signed a deal Wednesday meant to end the Middle East war, with Tehran agreeing to dilute its enriched uranium in return for large-scale economic relief.

Trump put his signature to the memorandum of understanding during a candlelit dinner at the Palace of Versailles following a G7 summit, as host French President Emmanuel Macron and other guests applauded, a video posted by a Trump aide showed, AFP reported.

"Just signed it," Trump told reporters as he emerged from the palace.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei, quoted by the state news agency IRNA, said the document "was finalized with the signatures of the presidents."

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif of Pakistan, which mediated the agreement, said on X that it "shall enter into force with immediate effect."

The deal aims to draw a line under the war launched February 28 by the United States and Israel, prompting Iran to counterattack with missile and drone salvos across the region -- and effectively shutting down the Strait of Hormuz, a crucial waterway for the world economy. The US responded by blocking shipping to and from Iranian ports.

"As a first step, Islamic Republic of Iran will instantly reopen the Strait of Hormuz and the United States of America will immediately lift the naval blockade," Sharif wrote.

Under the text, Washington also commits to immediately waive oil sanctions crippling Iran's economy.

And once a final agreement is reached on the Iranina republic's nuclear program, the United States will also facilitate the release of a $300 billion reconstruction fund supported by regional nations, the deal says.

The agreement had earlier been slated for signatures by Iran's chief negotiator and parliament speaker, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, and US Vice President JD Vance. Iran said an in-person ceremony was no longer needed.

But Sharif said an official ceremony will take place Friday in Switzerland and technical talks will commence.

- 'Great victory' -

Iran insisted the deal represented a US "failure."

"People will see it and judge," Ghalibaf said on state television late Wednesday, after the text was released by both sides.

Highlighting the global impact of any deal, China said Wednesday that its top diplomat had impressed on Tehran that it was "key" for all sides to "genuinely implement" their commitments.

But Trump's decision to pull the plug on the war, in which 13 US service members were killed and vast amounts of US ammunition stockpiles were used up, has unsettled some of his own allies at home.

The agreement is only a temporary arrangement meant to give time for starting detailed negotiations on the far more complex issue of long-term control over Iran's nuclear power ambitions, which Washington has long suspected of harboring a secret bomb-making program.

Trump said earlier Wednesday that he was prepared to "bomb the hell" out of Iran if they violated the agreement.

But US Senator Bill Cassidy from Trump's own Republican Party was scathing.

"Iran's nuclear ambitions were not curbed, and they have learned that threatening the Strait of Hormuz works," he said. "Sanctions will be lifted, and the bombing has stopped. This is the worst foreign policy blunder in decades."

The head of the pro-Tehran Lebanese Shiite movement Hezbollah, Naim Qassem, on Wednesday described the deal as a "great victory" for Iran.

He thanked Tehran for insisting that the truce cover Lebanon, which was drawn into the conflict when Hezbollah fired rockets at Israel on March 2 in support of Iran.

- Negotiations to begin -

A two-month negotiating period now begins, with the much-anticipated reopening of the Strait of Hormuz as the first step.

Under the terms of the deal released by US officials, Iran will dilute its enriched uranium stocks, possibly by "down-blending on site under the supervision of the IAEA" -- the UN's nuclear watchdog.

This would lead to more far-reaching economic assistance for Iran.

But a US official said Washington would not be required to contribute financially.

Oil prices have tumbled in recent days as optimism grew of a lasting Middle East peace agreement, but reversed course on Wednesday.

Prices briefly jumped five percent as uncertainty spread about the signing, before stabilizing later in the day.

- Lebanese front -

While violence declined in Lebanon following the announcement of the deal, Israeli strikes on the south have killed at least five people since then, according to state media, which also reported Israeli raids on south Lebanon on Wednesday.

Israel's army said five soldiers were wounded on Wednesday, one of them severely, "as a result of an explosive drone impact in southern Lebanon", the first such announcement since the US-Iran deal.

The Israeli military also said its air force intercepted "several rockets" launched toward soldiers operating in south Lebanon, without reporting casualties.



Russia Summons Japan Ambassador Over Disputed Islands Row

 In this pool photograph distributed by the Russian state agency Sputnik, Russia's President Vladimir Putin interacts with local residents on Iturup island, one of four islands in the contested chain known as the Kuril Islands in Russia and the Northern Territories in Japan, on August 13, 2026. (Gavriil Grigorov / Pool / AFP)
In this pool photograph distributed by the Russian state agency Sputnik, Russia's President Vladimir Putin interacts with local residents on Iturup island, one of four islands in the contested chain known as the Kuril Islands in Russia and the Northern Territories in Japan, on August 13, 2026. (Gavriil Grigorov / Pool / AFP)
TT

Russia Summons Japan Ambassador Over Disputed Islands Row

 In this pool photograph distributed by the Russian state agency Sputnik, Russia's President Vladimir Putin interacts with local residents on Iturup island, one of four islands in the contested chain known as the Kuril Islands in Russia and the Northern Territories in Japan, on August 13, 2026. (Gavriil Grigorov / Pool / AFP)
In this pool photograph distributed by the Russian state agency Sputnik, Russia's President Vladimir Putin interacts with local residents on Iturup island, one of four islands in the contested chain known as the Kuril Islands in Russia and the Northern Territories in Japan, on August 13, 2026. (Gavriil Grigorov / Pool / AFP)

Japan's ambassador to Moscow was expected Tuesday to respond to Russia's summons over a row about disputed islands visited by President Vladimir Putin for the first time last week.

Bilateral relations have long been dogged by the Kuril islands, known in Japan as the Northern Territories and seized in 1945 by the Soviet Union which then expelled the Japanese population.

Putin, 73, visited the territories last Thursday, prompting Japan to summon Russia's ambassador in protest.

It was the first trip there by a Russian president since Dmitry Medvedev in 2010, who served as head of state from 2008-12 while Putin was prime minister.

Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi said the islands "are an inherent part of Japan's territory, both historically and under international law."

Moscow said Monday it had summoned the Japanese envoy, Akira Muto, with Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov saying that Tokyo had "crossed the line of decency".

Muto did not immediately accede to the summons however.

"We were told either that he was not in Moscow or that he was unwell. We did not quite understand the situation," Lavrov said.

Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova later told state news agency TASS that after Lavrov's comments the ambassador had "suddenly started feeling better" and would attend on Tuesday.

Japanese public broadcaster NHK reported that Muto did not initially respond out of concern that Russia would unilaterally dominate the discussions, making a balanced exchange difficult.

However, Tokyo decided to reply to the summons after internal deliberations, NHK said citing unnamed sources.

Ties between Japan and Russia have worsened since the full-scale conflict in Ukraine began in 2022.

Japan has joined other G7 countries in sanctioning Russia and giving money and non-lethal defense aid to Kyiv, which like Washington recognizes Japanese sovereignty over the disputed islands.

Japan indirectly supports Ukraine's air defense by exporting domestically produced Patriot interceptor missiles to the United States, helping replenish US stockpiles that have been reduced by military aid to Kyiv.

Analysts said that Putin's visit to the Kurils could have been aimed at warning Japan off deepening support to Ukraine, potentially by supplying Patriot missiles directly, and cooperation with NATO.

While Japan has eased restrictions on defense exports in recent years, it remains unable to supply lethal military equipment directly to a country at war, including Ukraine.


Russia Downs 180 Drones in Moscow Region Overnight

Pedestrians walk past a destroyed DIY and construction materials mall "Galaktika" following an overnight attack, which local Russian-installed officials called Ukrainian drone strikes, in Donetsk, Russian-controlled Ukraine, on August 16, 2026, amid the ongoing Russian-Ukrainian conflict. (Photo by AFP)
Pedestrians walk past a destroyed DIY and construction materials mall "Galaktika" following an overnight attack, which local Russian-installed officials called Ukrainian drone strikes, in Donetsk, Russian-controlled Ukraine, on August 16, 2026, amid the ongoing Russian-Ukrainian conflict. (Photo by AFP)
TT

Russia Downs 180 Drones in Moscow Region Overnight

Pedestrians walk past a destroyed DIY and construction materials mall "Galaktika" following an overnight attack, which local Russian-installed officials called Ukrainian drone strikes, in Donetsk, Russian-controlled Ukraine, on August 16, 2026, amid the ongoing Russian-Ukrainian conflict. (Photo by AFP)
Pedestrians walk past a destroyed DIY and construction materials mall "Galaktika" following an overnight attack, which local Russian-installed officials called Ukrainian drone strikes, in Donetsk, Russian-controlled Ukraine, on August 16, 2026, amid the ongoing Russian-Ukrainian conflict. (Photo by AFP)

Russia downed 180 drones in the Moscow region overnight, the capital's mayor, Sergei Sobyanin, said on the Telegram messaging app early on Tuesday, in one of the biggest Ukrainian air ‌attacks on ‌the Russian capital.

Drones ‌hit ⁠a warehouse of ⁠Russian e-commerce company Wildberries and other facilities near Moscow, regional governor Andrei Vorobyov said separately, adding that at least three ⁠people, including a 10-year-old ‌girl, were ‌injured in the region, reported Reuters.

Wildberries, a ‌frequent target of ‌Kyiv's attacks following Russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022, said in a statement that the ‌warehouse experienced minor damage after drone debris hit ⁠one ⁠of its walls.

Overall, 620 drones were heading for the region surrounding the Russian capital between Monday evening and 5 a.m. (0200 GMT), according to Sobyanin, and Moscow was temporarily restricting flights at its airports.


UKMTO: Vessel Struck by Unknown Projectile in Strait of Hormuz, Crew Casualty Reported

Archive photo of ships crossing the Strait of Hormuz (AFP)
Archive photo of ships crossing the Strait of Hormuz (AFP)
TT

UKMTO: Vessel Struck by Unknown Projectile in Strait of Hormuz, Crew Casualty Reported

Archive photo of ships crossing the Strait of Hormuz (AFP)
Archive photo of ships crossing the Strait of Hormuz (AFP)

The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) received a report on Tuesday that a vessel was struck ‌by an ‌unknown projectile ‌while ⁠transiting outbound in the ⁠Strait of Hormuz, causing engine room damage and a crew casualty, with the ⁠remaining crew being ‌assisted ‌by the Omani Coast ‌Guard, Reuters said.

No environmental impact ‌has been reported and authorities are investigating, UKMTO said.

The incident ‌comes as shipping through the Strait of ⁠Hormuz remains ⁠severely disrupted, with vessel crossings still in the single digits, down from more than 130 a day before the war.