France’s Le Pen Faces Crunch Verdict Before Presidential Vote

 President of Rassemblement National parliamentary group Marine Le Pen poses poses ahead of a television interview entitled "Le Grand Entretien" broadcast on French news channel LCI, in Boulogne-Billancourt, southern of Paris on July 1, 2026. (AFP)
President of Rassemblement National parliamentary group Marine Le Pen poses poses ahead of a television interview entitled "Le Grand Entretien" broadcast on French news channel LCI, in Boulogne-Billancourt, southern of Paris on July 1, 2026. (AFP)
TT

France’s Le Pen Faces Crunch Verdict Before Presidential Vote

 President of Rassemblement National parliamentary group Marine Le Pen poses poses ahead of a television interview entitled "Le Grand Entretien" broadcast on French news channel LCI, in Boulogne-Billancourt, southern of Paris on July 1, 2026. (AFP)
President of Rassemblement National parliamentary group Marine Le Pen poses poses ahead of a television interview entitled "Le Grand Entretien" broadcast on French news channel LCI, in Boulogne-Billancourt, southern of Paris on July 1, 2026. (AFP)

France's far-right chief Marine Le Pen faces a key ruling next week that will determine if she can run in the 2027 presidential elections, in what is seen as her best chance at the top job.

A lower court handed the 57-year-old politician a five-year ban from public office last year and a two-year sentence over a fake jobs scam at the European Parliament, dashing her ambition to head the EU state.

If the appeals court on July 7 upholds last year's bombshell ruling, the three-time presidential candidate from the National Rally (RN) party will be banned from vying to replace outgoing centrist President Emmanuel Macron.

Le Pen came third in the 2012 polls, then twice made the runoffs against Macron in 2017 and 2022.

She has said she will decide whether to compete next year after the appeal court ruling, which also includes a shorter ban from public office and some form of house arrest.

"I'm not scared," she said this week in the run-up to the verdict.

"If I can run, I will -- as long as I can campaign."

Le Pen has suggested that her lieutenant, 30-year-old RN party leader Jordan Bardella, could stand instead if she has to step down.

- 'Witch hunt' -

The first trial found Le Pen -- along with 24 former European lawmakers, assistants and accountants as well as the anti-immigration party itself -- guilty of operating a system from 2004 to 2016 to use European parliament funds to employ RN staff in France.

The lower court also sentenced Le Pen to four years in jail, with two suspended.

Le Pen claimed her party was the victim of a "witch hunt" and some supporters sent the judges death threats.

The presidential candidate, the party and 11 others appealed.

During the appeal trial, she denied that the RN had any system to embezzle European Parliament funds and has said her party acted in "complete good faith".

But prosecutors allege she "professionalized" a way to divert EU funds first introduced haphazardly by her father Jean-Marie Le Pen after she took over its leadership from him in 2011.

They have demanded the court maintain a five-year ban and sought a four-year term, with three years suspended, for Le Pen over the embezzlement of what the EU institution says were several million euros.

- 'Need to be free' -

If Le Pen is handed a ban from office of several years, she will not be able to run for president in time for the first round on April 18 next year.

Similarly, if she is condemned to serve a one-year term on house arrest with an ankle tag, crippling her ability to campaign, she will likely decide to hand over to Bardella.

"When you're a presidential candidate, you need to be completely free to move around," she said on Wednesday in an interview on the LCI television channel.

"I can't depend on a magistrate to allow me to go to a rally."

Opinion polls in recent months have largely suggested the far right will lead in the first round of next year's vote, but are divided on the outcome of the second round.

An opinion poll in late May suggested Le Pen could win the runoffs next year if she is allowed to compete.

The Harris Interactive Toluna survey of more than 1,700 registered voters projected her winning, against hard-left leader Jean-Luc Melenchon as well as centrist former prime ministers Gabriel Attal and Edouard Philippe.

Other polls have however suggested Philippe -- who is also courting right-wing voters -- could emerge victorious in a runoff against the far right.



Trump Says Iran Cannot Have a Nuclear Weapon

President Donald Trump boards Air Force One at Morristown Airport, Sunday, Aug. 16, 2026, in Morristown, N.J. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)
President Donald Trump boards Air Force One at Morristown Airport, Sunday, Aug. 16, 2026, in Morristown, N.J. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)
TT

Trump Says Iran Cannot Have a Nuclear Weapon

President Donald Trump boards Air Force One at Morristown Airport, Sunday, Aug. 16, 2026, in Morristown, N.J. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)
President Donald Trump boards Air Force One at Morristown Airport, Sunday, Aug. 16, 2026, in Morristown, N.J. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)

US President Donald Trump reiterated on Monday that Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon amid a lack ⁠of progress in diplomatic ⁠efforts to resolve the Middle East conflict.

"The ⁠number one Goal is, and always will be, that Iran cannot have, in any way, shape, or form, ⁠a Nuclear ⁠Weapon," Trump said in a post on Truth Social.

His comment came as the 60-day negotiating period to find a peace deal between the US and Iran was expiring, with no word of an extension and both sides seemingly as far apart as they were two months ago.

Iran said Monday it is working to finalize a joint statement with Oman on a plan to manage the transit of ships through the Strait of Hormuz.

Fully reopening the waterway to commercial shipping has been a key demand of the United States, but it remains unclear whether the deal will meet Washington's criteria.


Iran Working to Finalize Hormuz Agreement with Oman

FILE PHOTO: Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 10, 2026. REUTERS/Stringer/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 10, 2026. REUTERS/Stringer/File Photo
TT

Iran Working to Finalize Hormuz Agreement with Oman

FILE PHOTO: Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 10, 2026. REUTERS/Stringer/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 10, 2026. REUTERS/Stringer/File Photo

Iran said Monday it has reached an agreement with Oman over a plan for ships to transit the Strait of Hormuz, which runs between the two countries, and the sides are now working to finalize details for a joint statement.

Iranian Foreign Affairs spokesperson Esmail Baghaei told reporters in Tehran that “an understanding has been reached regarding the map of the transit route.”

He did not elaborate, but details that have previously emerged suggest the deal would reopen the strait with ships entering through a route close to Iran and exiting through a route close to Oman. Ships would transit without paying fees or tolls during the interim period.

The US has sought an acceptable deal on opening the strait before ending its blockade of Iranian ports and it was not clear whether this would meet Washington’s expectations.

Iran effectively closed the strait — through which roughly one-fifth of the world’s traded oil supplies passed before the war — after Israel and the US attacked the country on Feb. 28.

Baghaei conceded the talks with Oman have gone slowly, “but we had planned, and still plan, to finalize the understanding in the form of a package: the map plus a joint statement.”

His comments came as a 60-day deadline for finding an agreement to end the war expired, with no signs of a deal between the US and Iran.


Residents Jeer French PM on Visit to Fire-Hit Region

France's Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu arrives for a meeting with officials at Technowest in Merignac, on the outskirts of Bordeaux, south-western France on August 17, 2026 following the giant wildfire. (AFP)
France's Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu arrives for a meeting with officials at Technowest in Merignac, on the outskirts of Bordeaux, south-western France on August 17, 2026 following the giant wildfire. (AFP)
TT

Residents Jeer French PM on Visit to Fire-Hit Region

France's Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu arrives for a meeting with officials at Technowest in Merignac, on the outskirts of Bordeaux, south-western France on August 17, 2026 following the giant wildfire. (AFP)
France's Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu arrives for a meeting with officials at Technowest in Merignac, on the outskirts of Bordeaux, south-western France on August 17, 2026 following the giant wildfire. (AFP)

Dozens of residents on Monday jeered the French prime minister as he arrived in a region hit by wildfires earlier this summer, in a show of anger over the government's handling of the worst such crisis in France in decades.

Some 200 people dressed in black gathered in front of the town hall in Le Porge in southwestern France, where 183 homes burned down when wildfires swept through the Gironde region in late July and early August, at one point even threatening the city of Bordeaux.

They jeered, whistled and shouted anti-government slogans as the tinted-window car with a flashing light carrying Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu approached for a meeting with the mayor of Le Porge, Martial Zaninetti, an AFP correspondent said.

"Where is he? Where is he?" the crowd shouted.

"It would have been the least he could do" for the prime minister to meet the residents, said Tony Veiga, a 65-year-old pensioner. "It really amounts to treating us as if we don't matter."

Lecornu's office said he had spoken with affected residents and farmers.

"We have absolutely nothing to hide regarding how fire protection operations have been conducted over the past few weeks," Lecornu said as he met local officials in the nearby town of Merignac after leaving Le Porge.

He had already visited Le Porge on Sunday afternoon to tour the municipality with the mayor -- a trip that had not been announced and took place without press cameras.

There is anger in the region among some residents who allege authorities prioritized fighting fires in the upscale Cap-Ferret peninsula -- where many affluent Parisians take holidays -- over protecting homes of local residents.

"He doesn't want to meet us; it's a shame. We had things we wanted to say," said Ludivine Daurignac, organizer of a group of affected residents who plan to file complaints and get "truth, transparency, and justice".

"We were met by lines of riot police blocking our access," she said.

Having burned through 42,000 hectares, the fire was brought under control on August 1.

It was the largest such fire in France by surface area since 1949, with the flames coming within 15 kilometers (10 miles) of the Bordeaux metropolitan area and forcing the evacuation of more than 220,000 residents and tourists.