NATO Allies Seek to Win over Trump after Iran Ire

NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte speaks during a media conference at the International Media Center ahead of the NATO Summit in Ankara, Türkiye, Monday, July 6, 2026. (AP Photo/Hussein Malla)
NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte speaks during a media conference at the International Media Center ahead of the NATO Summit in Ankara, Türkiye, Monday, July 6, 2026. (AP Photo/Hussein Malla)
TT

NATO Allies Seek to Win over Trump after Iran Ire

NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte speaks during a media conference at the International Media Center ahead of the NATO Summit in Ankara, Türkiye, Monday, July 6, 2026. (AP Photo/Hussein Malla)
NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte speaks during a media conference at the International Media Center ahead of the NATO Summit in Ankara, Türkiye, Monday, July 6, 2026. (AP Photo/Hussein Malla)

NATO allies will showcase surging defense spending at a summit in Türkiye’s capital Ankara on Tuesday as they hope to placate US President Donald Trump after his fury over Europe's response to the war with Iran.

The two-day gathering at Türkiye’s sprawling presidential palace comes a year after NATO members pledged to ramp up security-related spending to five percent of GDP under pressure from the US leader, said AFP.

NATO chief Mark Rutte insists European countries are "delivering" on their promise by bolstering military budgets and moving to take more responsibility for the defense of their continent in the face of Russia.

"Just one year later, we already see transformational progress," Rutte told journalists in Ankara on the eve of the summit.

Trump departed Washington for the key summit late Monday, travelling with Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth in tow.

In a bid to impress the US leader, NATO has lined up a series of headline-grabbing figures.

"This is showtime," a senior European diplomat said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

At an industry forum on Tuesday ahead of the main summit, leaders are set to unveil new arms deals worth tens of billions to show Trump they're delivering on their words.

Underscoring that push, Canada announced on Monday that it had selected Germany's Thyssenkrupp Marine Systems to build its new fleet of submarines, a multi-billion-dollar program Ottawa framed as part of a broader effort to deepen defense ties with European NATO allies.

But Trump -- still smarting after European countries imposed restrictions on US forces using bases to attack Iran -- has spent the run-up to the summit slamming allies for not moving fast enough for his liking.

"Ridiculous for the U.S.A. to continue along this one-sided path when the relationship is not reciprocal. They were not there for us!!!" Trump wrote on Truth Social last week.

- 'Real shift' -

European leaders are aiming at least to avoid a bust-up with the mercurial US leader that could deal a further blow to NATO's credibility after Trump repeatedly cast doubt on the US commitment to protecting its allies.

Diplomats are banking on Trump's good relationship with Turkish leader Recep Tayyip Erdogan, and an unstinting charm offensive by NATO chief Rutte, to keep his mood in check.

But with Trump having had fallings out with a string of other leaders -- most recently Italy's Giorgia Meloni -- there are plenty irritants that could ignite his anger.

Seeking to show willingness on Iran, European allies spearheaded by France and Britain have put together a potential naval mission to help in the Strait of Hormuz and countries have shifted vessels closer to the region to be ready.

But the situation remains volatile and the Europeans want clarity on how a fragile US deal with Iran is panning out before sending in their navies.

While they'll be hoping that Trump strikes a conciliatory tone, European leaders have begun to come to terms with the reality that the US is inexorably pulling back from their alliance.

Washington has been clear it wants its allies to take the lead on the conventional defense of the continent and recently announced it was cutting back the assets it makes available to NATO commanders.

European nations will look to prove they're ready to play a greater role while also trying to keep Trump, and the vast might of the US military, as engaged as possible.

"All of this is evidence of a real shift in mindset," Rutte said. "This is NATO 3.0. A stronger Europe in a stronger NATO."

- 'Strong decisions' -

Beyond taking greater responsibility for their own defense, European countries have also taken over the support of Ukraine almost entirely as Trump has wound back US aid.

President Volodymyr Zelensky -- who will attend the leaders dinner on Tuesday -- will score a commitment from his European backers at NATO to keep at least 70 billion euros ($80 billion) of military aid flowing to Kyiv each year in both 2026 and 2027.

Zelensky -- who is set to hold talks with Trump at the Ankara summit -- urged the alliance to take "strong decisions" on boosting Ukraine's air defenses after a devastating Russian blitz killed nearly 30 people.

The Ukrainian leader will look to convince Trump -- who held a phone call with Russia's Vladimir Putin ahead of the gathering -- that Kyiv is turning the tide in the war and that he should pressure Moscow back into serious peace negotiations.



Türkiye Issues 'Genocide' Warrant for Israel's Netanyahu

FILED - 16 March 2023, Berlin: FILE PHOTO - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a press conference. Photo: Kay Nietfeld/dpa
FILED - 16 March 2023, Berlin: FILE PHOTO - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a press conference. Photo: Kay Nietfeld/dpa
TT

Türkiye Issues 'Genocide' Warrant for Israel's Netanyahu

FILED - 16 March 2023, Berlin: FILE PHOTO - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a press conference. Photo: Kay Nietfeld/dpa
FILED - 16 March 2023, Berlin: FILE PHOTO - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a press conference. Photo: Kay Nietfeld/dpa

Türkiye has sought an international arrest warrant for Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu accusing him of "genocide" linked to Israel's interception of an aid flotilla for Gaza, the justice minister announced Friday.

Türkiye has become a virulent critic of Israel's war in Gaza, sparked by the Hamas October 7, 2023 attacks on Israel. President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has frequently accused Netanyahu of "genocide".

Israel's interception of the flotilla carrying some 430 activists in May sparked an international outcry. France, Italy and Australia have also launched judicial proceedings.

Türkiye's Justice Minister Akin Gurlek said on X that his ministry had asked the interior ministry to issue interpol red notice alerts for Netanyahu and another Israeli, named as Afek Moskovitch.

"As part of the judicial proceedings concerning the attack in international waters on the Flotilla activists (...) and in accordance with the arrest warrants issued on July 14, 2026, against Benjamin Netanyahu and Afek Moskovitch for 'genocide,' the ministry of justice has requested that the ministry of the interior issue red notices for their international arrest," the minister stated.

Netanyahu and Moskovitch are being prosecuted for "crimes against humanity, genocide, aggravated deprivation of liberty, 'intentional assault and battery,' torture, destruction of property, aggravated looting, and hijacking of transport vehicles," the ministry said.

About 50 vessels were in the Global Sumud Flotilla that left Türkiye in May heading for the besieged Palestinian territory. The activists were detained in the Mediterranean by the Israeli military and then taken to an Israeli prison before being expelled.

Israel's far right National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir caused his own outcry by releasing a video showing himself taunting some of flotilla activists who were on their knees with their hands tied behind their backs.


Myanmar Military Strike Kills 14 People at a Buddhist Monastery

Police stand guard as they wait for protests against coup in Yangon, Myanmar February 4, 2021. REUTERS/Stringer
Police stand guard as they wait for protests against coup in Yangon, Myanmar February 4, 2021. REUTERS/Stringer
TT

Myanmar Military Strike Kills 14 People at a Buddhist Monastery

Police stand guard as they wait for protests against coup in Yangon, Myanmar February 4, 2021. REUTERS/Stringer
Police stand guard as they wait for protests against coup in Yangon, Myanmar February 4, 2021. REUTERS/Stringer

An airstrike Friday by Myanmar’s military on a Buddhist monastery in Myanmar’s central Sagaing region killed 14 people who were taking part in a week-long meditation retreat, an opposition group and a resident said.

The attack is the latest in a series of frequent and deadly aerial strikes targeting armed pro-democracy forces and ethnic armed groups in the country. The strikes often cause civilian casualties.

The attack occurred Friday at 9 a.m. in Swel Le Oh village in Myaung township, about 75 kilometers (45 miles) west of Mandalay, the country’s second-largest city, according to Nway Oo, a spokesperson for the Civil Defence and Security Organization of Myaung Township, or CDSOM.

Nway Oo said 14 people, including three women, were killed and 20 others were wounded when a jet fighter dropped a bomb in the compound of the village’s monastery.

A villager who spoke on condition of anonymity also confirmed the death toll to The Associated Press. The villager said the jet fighter dropped two bombs 15 minutes apart, with the second bomb damaging a house near the monastery where more than 100 people were on a week-long retreat during Buddhist Lent.

The villager, who lost a relative in the airstrike, said that people fled to a nearby community after burying bodies of the victims.

Associated Press


Iran Vows 'Devastating' Response to US Threat to Cut off its Economic Lifelines

US and Iran flags are seen in this illustration taken June 18, 2025. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
US and Iran flags are seen in this illustration taken June 18, 2025. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
TT

Iran Vows 'Devastating' Response to US Threat to Cut off its Economic Lifelines

US and Iran flags are seen in this illustration taken June 18, 2025. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
US and Iran flags are seen in this illustration taken June 18, 2025. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo

Iran said on Friday that its response to any new US threats would be "devastating" after Washington pledged to impose the toughest financial penalties in history with the aim of toppling the Iranian leadership.

Washington prepared for sanctions that US Treasury chief Scott Bessent said he would detail on Monday. President Donald Trump earlier warned of economic consequences against any country that provided "any type of lifeline to Iran."

The chief of staff of Iran's Armed Forces, Major General Ali Abdollahi, said the Islamic Republic's reaction would be broad and decisive.

"With preparedness across land, sea, air, air defense and cyberspace, Iran's armed forces will respond to the enemy's new threats with crushing, punishing and devastating responses," Abdollahi was quoted as saying by Iranian media.

The US and Iran have twice announced ceasefire deals, in April and June, aiming to restore the free flow of ships through Hormuz on a path towards ending the nearly six-month-old conflict, but both quickly crumbled.

Bessent told CNBC he would "talk about exactly what we're going to do" on Iran at a press conference on Monday.

"We are going to collapse this regime. It is time for our allies and the rest of the world to make a decision," he said, describing a naval blockade reimposed on Iran in July and the "toughest sanctions in history" as a "one-two punch".

Iran has weathered near-continuous economic sanctions for nearly 50 years, since the Islamic Revolution of 1979, but its people are suffering high inflation, a weakening currency and energy shortages along with damaged infrastructure.

Some Iranians interviewed by Reuters have said more economic punishment could increase hardship, weaken the clerical establishment and prompt unrest, although there has been no sign of that since a deadly crackdown on protests in January.

Before Bessent spoke, Iran's foreign ministry said US sanctions would not "create even the slightest hesitation in Iranians’ determination to safeguard Iran’s independence, dignity and national sovereignty."