Death Toll from China Storms Rises to 17, Hundreds Injured

File photo: An aerial drone photo taken on 16 June 2024 shows an area affected by torrential rains in Tieshan Township of Zhenghe County, Nanping City, China's Fujian Province, 16 June 2024. (Xinhua/EPA)
File photo: An aerial drone photo taken on 16 June 2024 shows an area affected by torrential rains in Tieshan Township of Zhenghe County, Nanping City, China's Fujian Province, 16 June 2024. (Xinhua/EPA)
TT

Death Toll from China Storms Rises to 17, Hundreds Injured

File photo: An aerial drone photo taken on 16 June 2024 shows an area affected by torrential rains in Tieshan Township of Zhenghe County, Nanping City, China's Fujian Province, 16 June 2024. (Xinhua/EPA)
File photo: An aerial drone photo taken on 16 June 2024 shows an area affected by torrential rains in Tieshan Township of Zhenghe County, Nanping City, China's Fujian Province, 16 June 2024. (Xinhua/EPA)

The death toll from devastating storms in parts of China rose to 17 on Tuesday, with hundreds more injured and tens of thousands evacuated, state media reported, as President Xi Jinping urged "all out" rescue efforts. 

Dramatic video shared by state broadcaster CCTV showed a torrent of muddy water rushing past the crumbled concrete walls of a reservoir dam that had burst in the southern region of Guangxi, the worst-hit area. 

Rescue workers wearing life vests searched for missing people in inflatable boats, state media footage showed, while authorities erected emergency shelters to house those displaced. 

Intense rain and severe flooding from Typhoon Maysak killed at least six people in Guangxi, where authorities raised the flood control emergency response to its highest level in the regional capital, Nanning. 

At least 130,000 people were evacuated, but 11 are still missing, regional officials told a news conference, adding that the rain has damaged nearly 13,000 acres of agricultural land. 

CCTV said 40 rivers and waterways in Guangxi were overflowing. 

Videos of villagers knee-deep in floodwater frantically trying to catch snakes swimming in a flooded Guangxi town went viral on social media, with a related hashtag racking up more than 180 million views. 

Around 800 to 900 snakes escaped on Monday morning after a breeding farm was washed away, Wu Zhi, the head of a local village committee, told state-owned media Red Star News. 

- 'Intense winds' - 

Thunderstorms and gale-force winds killed another 11 people and injured 331 in the central province of Hubei, and tornadoes were reported elsewhere late on Monday, state news agency Xinhua said. 

One person is missing in Hubei, Xinhua said, adding that 4,800 houses were damaged and 22 more had collapsed. 

A man surnamed Wang told local media that his brother-in-law, surnamed Zhang, had been "sucked out" of his home in Hubei's Huanggang city by the strong winds, and was found unconscious outside his apartment complex, breathing only faintly. 

"Wall cabinets, sofas, coffee tables, dining tables and chairs vanished in an instant. It was as if the entire building had been hollowed out," Wang told the Xiaoxiang Morning Herald. 

Xi said on Tuesday that rescuers should "go all out" in organizing emergency operations, CCTV reported. 

Natural disasters are common across China, particularly in the summer when some regions experience intense rainfall while others bake in scorching heat. 

Parts of Guangxi's coastal and eastern regions, as well as southwestern Guangdong, will continue to be hit by heavy rain on Wednesday, Minister of Water Resources Li Guoying said on Tuesday. 

Flood peaks "exceeding the warning water level" by more than six meters (20 feet) are expected at the Guigang Hydrological Station in Guangxi on Tuesday evening, Li said. 

"Due to the impact of persistent heavy rainfall and the prolonged passage of floodwaters at high levels, the safety of reservoirs and embankments in the affected areas faces a severe test," he said. 

- Landslide - 

Separately, a landslide in China's northwestern Gansu province killed at least five people on Tuesday, Xinhua said. 

State broadcaster CCTV reported that rescue teams had located 31 people trapped by the landslide in a village near Gansu's Longnan city, including an unspecified number of dead victims. Two people were still reported missing. 

Authorities have set aside 30 million yuan ($4.4 million) in reconstruction funds following the landslide. 

Scientists warn the intensity and frequency of global extreme weather events will increase as the planet continues to heat up because of fossil fuel emissions. 

China is the world's biggest emitter of greenhouse gases, but it is also a global renewable energy powerhouse that aims to make its massive economy carbon-neutral by 2060. 

At least 22 people were killed in China in May after heavy rains lashed its central and southern regions, with some places "hit by record-breaking rainfall", state media reported. 



Türkiye Issues 'Genocide' Warrant for Israel's Netanyahu

FILED - 16 March 2023, Berlin: FILE PHOTO - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a press conference. Photo: Kay Nietfeld/dpa
FILED - 16 March 2023, Berlin: FILE PHOTO - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a press conference. Photo: Kay Nietfeld/dpa
TT

Türkiye Issues 'Genocide' Warrant for Israel's Netanyahu

FILED - 16 March 2023, Berlin: FILE PHOTO - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a press conference. Photo: Kay Nietfeld/dpa
FILED - 16 March 2023, Berlin: FILE PHOTO - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a press conference. Photo: Kay Nietfeld/dpa

Türkiye has sought an international arrest warrant for Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu accusing him of "genocide" linked to Israel's interception of an aid flotilla for Gaza, the justice minister announced Friday.

Türkiye has become a virulent critic of Israel's war in Gaza, sparked by the Hamas October 7, 2023 attacks on Israel. President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has frequently accused Netanyahu of "genocide".

Israel's interception of the flotilla carrying some 430 activists in May sparked an international outcry. France, Italy and Australia have also launched judicial proceedings.

Türkiye's Justice Minister Akin Gurlek said on X that his ministry had asked the interior ministry to issue interpol red notice alerts for Netanyahu and another Israeli, named as Afek Moskovitch.

"As part of the judicial proceedings concerning the attack in international waters on the Flotilla activists (...) and in accordance with the arrest warrants issued on July 14, 2026, against Benjamin Netanyahu and Afek Moskovitch for 'genocide,' the ministry of justice has requested that the ministry of the interior issue red notices for their international arrest," the minister stated.

Netanyahu and Moskovitch are being prosecuted for "crimes against humanity, genocide, aggravated deprivation of liberty, 'intentional assault and battery,' torture, destruction of property, aggravated looting, and hijacking of transport vehicles," the ministry said.

About 50 vessels were in the Global Sumud Flotilla that left Türkiye in May heading for the besieged Palestinian territory. The activists were detained in the Mediterranean by the Israeli military and then taken to an Israeli prison before being expelled.

Israel's far right National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir caused his own outcry by releasing a video showing himself taunting some of flotilla activists who were on their knees with their hands tied behind their backs.


Myanmar Military Strike Kills 14 People at a Buddhist Monastery

Police stand guard as they wait for protests against coup in Yangon, Myanmar February 4, 2021. REUTERS/Stringer
Police stand guard as they wait for protests against coup in Yangon, Myanmar February 4, 2021. REUTERS/Stringer
TT

Myanmar Military Strike Kills 14 People at a Buddhist Monastery

Police stand guard as they wait for protests against coup in Yangon, Myanmar February 4, 2021. REUTERS/Stringer
Police stand guard as they wait for protests against coup in Yangon, Myanmar February 4, 2021. REUTERS/Stringer

An airstrike Friday by Myanmar’s military on a Buddhist monastery in Myanmar’s central Sagaing region killed 14 people who were taking part in a week-long meditation retreat, an opposition group and a resident said.

The attack is the latest in a series of frequent and deadly aerial strikes targeting armed pro-democracy forces and ethnic armed groups in the country. The strikes often cause civilian casualties.

The attack occurred Friday at 9 a.m. in Swel Le Oh village in Myaung township, about 75 kilometers (45 miles) west of Mandalay, the country’s second-largest city, according to Nway Oo, a spokesperson for the Civil Defence and Security Organization of Myaung Township, or CDSOM.

Nway Oo said 14 people, including three women, were killed and 20 others were wounded when a jet fighter dropped a bomb in the compound of the village’s monastery.

A villager who spoke on condition of anonymity also confirmed the death toll to The Associated Press. The villager said the jet fighter dropped two bombs 15 minutes apart, with the second bomb damaging a house near the monastery where more than 100 people were on a week-long retreat during Buddhist Lent.

The villager, who lost a relative in the airstrike, said that people fled to a nearby community after burying bodies of the victims.

Associated Press


Iran Vows 'Devastating' Response to US Threat to Cut off its Economic Lifelines

US and Iran flags are seen in this illustration taken June 18, 2025. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
US and Iran flags are seen in this illustration taken June 18, 2025. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
TT

Iran Vows 'Devastating' Response to US Threat to Cut off its Economic Lifelines

US and Iran flags are seen in this illustration taken June 18, 2025. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
US and Iran flags are seen in this illustration taken June 18, 2025. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo

Iran said on Friday that its response to any new US threats would be "devastating" after Washington pledged to impose the toughest financial penalties in history with the aim of toppling the Iranian leadership.

Washington prepared for sanctions that US Treasury chief Scott Bessent said he would detail on Monday. President Donald Trump earlier warned of economic consequences against any country that provided "any type of lifeline to Iran."

The chief of staff of Iran's Armed Forces, Major General Ali Abdollahi, said the Islamic Republic's reaction would be broad and decisive.

"With preparedness across land, sea, air, air defense and cyberspace, Iran's armed forces will respond to the enemy's new threats with crushing, punishing and devastating responses," Abdollahi was quoted as saying by Iranian media.

The US and Iran have twice announced ceasefire deals, in April and June, aiming to restore the free flow of ships through Hormuz on a path towards ending the nearly six-month-old conflict, but both quickly crumbled.

Bessent told CNBC he would "talk about exactly what we're going to do" on Iran at a press conference on Monday.

"We are going to collapse this regime. It is time for our allies and the rest of the world to make a decision," he said, describing a naval blockade reimposed on Iran in July and the "toughest sanctions in history" as a "one-two punch".

Iran has weathered near-continuous economic sanctions for nearly 50 years, since the Islamic Revolution of 1979, but its people are suffering high inflation, a weakening currency and energy shortages along with damaged infrastructure.

Some Iranians interviewed by Reuters have said more economic punishment could increase hardship, weaken the clerical establishment and prompt unrest, although there has been no sign of that since a deadly crackdown on protests in January.

Before Bessent spoke, Iran's foreign ministry said US sanctions would not "create even the slightest hesitation in Iranians’ determination to safeguard Iran’s independence, dignity and national sovereignty."