Iran Supreme Leader Vows Revenge for Father’s Killing

Vessels at the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, July 9, 2026. (Reuters)
Vessels at the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, July 9, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Iran Supreme Leader Vows Revenge for Father’s Killing

Vessels at the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, July 9, 2026. (Reuters)
Vessels at the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, July 9, 2026. (Reuters)

Iran's supreme leader on Saturday vowed revenge for the US-Israeli killing of his father and predecessor, hours after President Donald Trump warned against any attempt to assassinate him. 

Both sides dialed up the rhetoric after exchanges of fire this week rocked an interim agreement aimed at ending their war, which broke out in late February with massive US-Israeli strikes. 

Trump has declared their ceasefire over, while mediators have been trying to salvage diplomacy, with Iranian media reporting that a delegation from Qatar travelled to Iran on Friday. 

"Vengeance is the will of our nation and must inevitably be carried out," Mojtaba Khamenei said in a written message. 

He became Iran's supreme leader after his father Ali Khamenei's killing in late February by US-Israeli strikes, but has not been in public since before the war. 

"This matter depends neither on my personal existence nor on that of other officials. Whether we are present or not, it will come to pass," he wrote in his first message since his father's funeral this week. 

He said Iran had compiled a list of individuals to be targeted. 

Hours earlier Trump had posted on his Truth Social platform that any attempt to assassinate him would lead the United States to "completely decimate" Iran. 

"1000 Missiles are Locked and Loaded and aimed at the Islamic Republic of Iran, with thousands of more to immediately follow, should the Iranian Government act on its threat, pronounced in many corners of the Globe, to assassinate, or attempt to assassinate, the sitting President of the United States of America, in this case, ME!" Trump wrote. 

"Orders have already been given, and the US Military is ready, willing, and able, for a one-year period of time, subject to extension, to completely decimate and destroy all areas of Iran." 

With both nations stepping up their threats, mediators have been working to bring diplomacy back on track. Iran's Tasnim news agency reported on Friday that a Qatari delegation was visiting Iran to "try to reinforce Qatar's role as a mediator". 

Trump has said talks with Iran will continue but has labelled them "a waste of time". 

Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi meanwhile insisted Tehran had stuck to its end of the bargain after the two sides signed a memorandum of understanding last month. 

Tehran "has so far kept its word", he said. "Reality check: There can only be mutual compliance." 

- Hormuz deadline - 

US and Iranian delegations have held one round of direct talks in Switzerland since the signing of their memorandum of understanding, as well as indirect negotiations in Qatar, but there has been no sign of diplomatic progress since. 

A key roadblock to a final deal is the future of the Strait of Hormuz, which Iran closed to commercial shipping during the war in retaliation for US-Israeli strikes. 

The waterway is a key conduit for oil and gas exports out of Gulf countries, and its closure has heavily impacted the world economy. 

Iran insists on controlling the passage of ships and has announced plans to charge fees, saying there will be no return to the free navigation of the pre-war era, which Washington has rejected. 

Under customary international law, states are not generally permitted to charge tolls on straits used for international navigation. 

Araghchi on Saturday arrived in Oman, which sits on the other side of Hormuz, for talks on administering the strait. 

News outlets Axios and Politico reported that Washington has given Tehran until Saturday to stop firing on commercial ships transiting Hormuz and acknowledge the waterway is open. 

This week's exchange of strikes was sparked after Iran was accused of targeting three vessels it said had deviated from its approved route. 

The attacks prompted Washington to launch a heavy round of bombing in Iran, hitting around 90 targets across the country, according to the US military. 

The US strikes killed 17 people, Tehran's health ministry said Saturday, and injured 115 more. They also triggered a wave of reprisals by Iran against countries in the Gulf that host American military bases. 

- 'Hard-earned peace' - 

Despite being one of the Gulf nations targeted during the war, Qatar has spearheaded efforts to get diplomacy back on track. 

Aside from the Qatari delegation visiting Iran, Qatar's emir on Friday held a call with Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif of Pakistan, which has also been mediating, according to Sharif's office. 

The Pakistani leader said he had also spoken with Iran's President Masoud Pezeshkian, urging him to safeguard the "hard-earned peace" in the region. 

But Iran's chief negotiator in talks with Washington, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, struck a defiant tone. 

"Ending the war is a priority for the countries of the world, but everyone must know that this confrontation will never end with Iran's surrender," Iran's ISNA news agency quoted him as saying. 

Iranians, he said, were "fully prepared to defend ourselves". 



UK, Canada, Australia Slam Israel Ending Probe into Aid Worker Killings

15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Gaza: Tents sheltering displaced Palestinians crowd the beach, as the coastline has become a refuge for thousands displaced from different parts of the Gaza Strip by the war. (dpa)
15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Gaza: Tents sheltering displaced Palestinians crowd the beach, as the coastline has become a refuge for thousands displaced from different parts of the Gaza Strip by the war. (dpa)
TT

UK, Canada, Australia Slam Israel Ending Probe into Aid Worker Killings

15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Gaza: Tents sheltering displaced Palestinians crowd the beach, as the coastline has become a refuge for thousands displaced from different parts of the Gaza Strip by the war. (dpa)
15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Gaza: Tents sheltering displaced Palestinians crowd the beach, as the coastline has become a refuge for thousands displaced from different parts of the Gaza Strip by the war. (dpa)

Britain, Canada, and Australia on Friday condemned as "shameful" Israel's decision to close an investigation into the death of seven aid workers killed in Gaza in 2024.

The World Central Kitchen employees -- three Britons, a dual US-Canadian national, a Pole, an Australian, and a Palestinian -- died in a drone strike on their vehicle convoy after overseeing the unloading of a food aid shipment.

Israel's military called the incident a "tragic mistake".

"In the more than two years since, we have been pressing for Israel to swiftly and thoroughly consider the case and hold those responsible to account," the three nations said in a joint statement.

"The announcement by the Israeli army on 19 August 2026 that it would not pursue criminal investigations into this strike, without further explanation, is shameful," it said.

The incident in April 2024 sparked global outrage and renewed calls to ensure the safety of aid workers in Gaza.

"Announcing this decision on World Humanitarian Day, while the world honored the courage and sacrifice of humanitarians, was particularly egregious," the joint statement added.

The Israeli military acknowledged a series of errors at various levels of command, but a preliminary investigation concluded on Wednesday that there was no "reasonable suspicion of criminal misconduct".

The US-based World Central Kitchen condemned the decision calling it "inconsistent with the full truth and deeply offensive".

It demanded an independent commission to investigate the airstrikes "because the Israeli army cannot credibly investigate its own conduct".

On Thursday, Australia expressed outrage at the closure of the investigation and summoned Israel's ambassador to the country.


Türkiye to Seek Interpol Notice for Netanyahu in Gaza Flotilla Case

16 March 2023, Berlin: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a press conference. Photo: Kay Nietfeld/dpa
16 March 2023, Berlin: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a press conference. Photo: Kay Nietfeld/dpa
TT

Türkiye to Seek Interpol Notice for Netanyahu in Gaza Flotilla Case

16 March 2023, Berlin: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a press conference. Photo: Kay Nietfeld/dpa
16 March 2023, Berlin: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a press conference. Photo: Kay Nietfeld/dpa

Türkiye said on Friday it would seek an Interpol red notice for the arrest of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as part of a domestic criminal case linked to an attack on activists seeking to deliver humanitarian aid to Gaza. 

NATO member Türkiye has been one of the fiercest critics of Israel's assault on Gaza and has previously issued domestic arrest warrants for Netanyahu over the war there. It has repeatedly called for international measures against Israel ‌over what Ankara calls ‌its violations of human rights and international law. Israel ‌denies ⁠those charges.  

In May, ⁠Israeli forces opened fire on at least two vessels from the Global Sumud Flotilla sailing towards Gaza as it was making a renewed attempt to deliver aid to the enclave after earlier missions were intercepted by Israel in international waters. 

In a post on X, Turkish Justice Minister Akin Gurlek said arrest warrants had been issued for Netanyahu and another suspect on charges that included genocide, crimes against humanity ⁠and torture as part of a case against 35 ‌people over the Israeli interception in international ‌waters. 

"In line with the arrest warrants issued against Benjamin Netanyahu ... our justice ministry has requested ‌that the interior ministry issue (Interpol) red notices for them so that they may ‌be sought internationally," Gurlek said. 

Türkiye will use all available legal mechanisms to ensure Israel is held accountable for its crimes in Gaza, he added. 

A red notice is a request to police forces worldwide to locate and provisionally arrest a person pending extradition. 

Interpol ‌reviews requests submitted by member states before deciding whether to issue red notices. 

Asked about Gurlek's statement, Netanyahu's ⁠office said: "(Turkish ⁠President Tayyip) Erdogan's pathetic attempt to intimidate the leaders and soldiers of Israel, the only true democracy in the Middle East, will go nowhere."  

Türkiye and Israel also traded barbs this week over Syria, where Israel carried out airstrikes on an air base it said Turkish troops could be deployed to, drawing condemnation from Ankara and criticism from the United States.  

Syria has said there were no plans to deploy Turkish troops to the base. 

Ankara has said Israeli rhetoric against Türkiye and its actions in Syria are fueled by the approach of a parliamentary election in Israel in October. 


Myanmar Military Strike Kills 14 People at a Buddhist Monastery

Police stand guard as they wait for protests against coup in Yangon, Myanmar February 4, 2021. REUTERS/Stringer
Police stand guard as they wait for protests against coup in Yangon, Myanmar February 4, 2021. REUTERS/Stringer
TT

Myanmar Military Strike Kills 14 People at a Buddhist Monastery

Police stand guard as they wait for protests against coup in Yangon, Myanmar February 4, 2021. REUTERS/Stringer
Police stand guard as they wait for protests against coup in Yangon, Myanmar February 4, 2021. REUTERS/Stringer

An airstrike Friday by Myanmar’s military on a Buddhist monastery in Myanmar’s central Sagaing region killed 14 people who were taking part in a week-long meditation retreat, an opposition group and a resident said.

The attack is the latest in a series of frequent and deadly aerial strikes targeting armed pro-democracy forces and ethnic armed groups in the country. The strikes often cause civilian casualties.

The attack occurred Friday at 9 a.m. in Swel Le Oh village in Myaung township, about 75 kilometers (45 miles) west of Mandalay, the country’s second-largest city, according to Nway Oo, a spokesperson for the Civil Defence and Security Organization of Myaung Township, or CDSOM.

Nway Oo said 14 people, including three women, were killed and 20 others were wounded when a jet fighter dropped a bomb in the compound of the village’s monastery.

A villager who spoke on condition of anonymity also confirmed the death toll to The Associated Press. The villager said the jet fighter dropped two bombs 15 minutes apart, with the second bomb damaging a house near the monastery where more than 100 people were on a week-long retreat during Buddhist Lent.

The villager, who lost a relative in the airstrike, said that people fled to a nearby community after burying bodies of the victims.

Associated Press