In Spain's Ceuta, Hundreds of Migrants Stage Protest and Demand Asylum

TOPSHOT - Migrants pose for a picture while being escorted to the Ceuta-Morocco border in the Spanish North African enclave of Ceuta on August 1, 2026. (Photo by Henry NICHOLLS / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Migrants pose for a picture while being escorted to the Ceuta-Morocco border in the Spanish North African enclave of Ceuta on August 1, 2026. (Photo by Henry NICHOLLS / AFP)
TT

In Spain's Ceuta, Hundreds of Migrants Stage Protest and Demand Asylum

TOPSHOT - Migrants pose for a picture while being escorted to the Ceuta-Morocco border in the Spanish North African enclave of Ceuta on August 1, 2026. (Photo by Henry NICHOLLS / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Migrants pose for a picture while being escorted to the Ceuta-Morocco border in the Spanish North African enclave of Ceuta on August 1, 2026. (Photo by Henry NICHOLLS / AFP)

Hundreds of migrants ‌who recently entered Spain's North African enclave of Ceuta staged a protest on a popular urban beach on Sunday, urging Spanish authorities to grant them asylum instead of sending them back to Morocco.

They were among the estimated 5,000 to 8,000 who remain in Ceuta after the mass border crossing two weeks ago that saw over 72,000 people surge into the tiny territory of about 80,000. The vast majority returned voluntarily in the following days.

With the city's resources overstretched, most migrants were living in precarious conditions on El Trampolin beach or the city's outskirts while awaiting a chance to journey on to continental Europe.

"We're sleeping next to the sea, with cold and bad smells. We're suffering a lot," said Ayoub Elarroud from Morocco's Tetouan, adding that police were blocking migrants from going to the city center.

The protesters held up ‌Spanish flags and ‌banners reading "We don't want to go back to Morocco" and "We are also ‌human", ⁠while chanting slogans such ⁠as "We're tired" or "We need a solution". On the rocky shores behind them, some migrants washed their clothes while others fished with makeshift bamboo rods.

Earlier this week, Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska said migrants who had entered irregularly would not be allowed to stay in the enclave, travel to mainland Spain or obtain legal status, except in rare cases involving extreme vulnerability.

HEALTH SERVICES UNDER PRESSURE

The head of Ceuta's medical board, Enrique Roviralta, told Onda Cero radio that the city's limited healthcare workers were exhausted and criticized what he described as ⁠a slow response by the central government.

Roviralta added that diseases such as ‌infectious diarrhea and scabies were breaking out, and violence-related injuries such ‌as broken noses or stab wounds were rising.

On Sunday, Health Minister Monica Garcia rejected suggestions that local health ‌services had "collapsed", but acknowledged they were under pressure.

"To associate migration with illness is unjust and xenophobic," ‌she told reporters in Ceuta, adding there was a moderate risk of epidemic outbreaks for migrants and a low one for residents.

Most of the Moroccan migrants interviewed by Reuters said they were driven by poor working conditions in their country, despite many holding higher qualifications.

Mohammed Ouanzar, a 39-year-old automation specialist from Fez, said average monthly salaries of ‌3,000 dirham ($324) made it impossible for him to buy a home or start a family.

"Once I reached Spanish soil, I felt like I ⁠was born again," he ⁠said. "I'd rather die than return."

Hicham Chikir, 25, said most people were eager to work in Europe. "If anyone is bad, the police can send them back," he added.

REFUGEES EXHAUSTED

Emmanuel, a 30-year-old electrician who fled conflict-ridden northeastern Nigeria, said he decided to embark on a perilous four-month journey across Niger, Algeria and Morocco because his children had stopped going to school over fears of being kidnapped.

"I'm fighting for a better life for them," he said, adding that he would take any job he was offered.

Mohammad Ismail Hossain, 34, left Bangladesh over two years ago following the 2024 mass uprising. He traversed India, Pakistan, Iraq, Syria, Egypt, Libya and Algeria - mostly on foot - and saw many companions die of thirst in the desert.

Ousmane from southern Senegal said he was seeking asylum because he suffered persecution over his sexual orientation but had yet to obtain a reply from the local NGOs he had contacted.

"The worst thing is waiting all day with nothing to do, checking my emails constantly" he said.



Somalia Federal Troops and Armed Opposition Clash in Baidoa City

Civilians gather at a street following clashes between Somalia's federal troops and armed opposition groups, in Baidoa, Somalia August 17, 2026. REUTERS/Stringer
Civilians gather at a street following clashes between Somalia's federal troops and armed opposition groups, in Baidoa, Somalia August 17, 2026. REUTERS/Stringer
TT

Somalia Federal Troops and Armed Opposition Clash in Baidoa City

Civilians gather at a street following clashes between Somalia's federal troops and armed opposition groups, in Baidoa, Somalia August 17, 2026. REUTERS/Stringer
Civilians gather at a street following clashes between Somalia's federal troops and armed opposition groups, in Baidoa, Somalia August 17, 2026. REUTERS/Stringer

Somalia's federal troops and armed opposition groups clashed in heavy fighting in Baidoa city center on Monday, a local resident and an army officer told Reuters.

The administrative capital of South West state, Baidoa is home to international peacekeepers and humanitarian agencies. It is one of Somalia's largest cities ‌with a population ‌of over a million people.

Fresh fighting ‌in ⁠the city could ⁠compound a dire humanitarian crisis in the area.

Baidoa hosts hundreds of thousands of displaced people and one in four children at displacement sites there are severely malnourished, according to a July survey by Medecins Sans Frontieres.

"Militias loyal to the ⁠former Baidoa president entered Baidoa from two ‌sides, challenging two battalions ‌of federal military. Fighting has intensified now," Farah Nur, ‌a shopkeeper in the city, told Reuters.

Federal troops ‌have been in charge of the city since March when they seized control, which prompted South West state leader Abdiaziz Hassan Mohamed Laftagareen to resign.

Nur told Reuters ‌federal forces were using heavy weapons and that he had seen at ⁠least two ⁠civilians killed in their houses by stray bullets and that several others who were injured were being taken to hospital.

Hassan Mohamed, Laftagareen's spokesperson, said in a post on Facebook that their troops had captured Baidoa and asked federal forces to surrender. His claim could not be independently verified.

"The armed militias attacked Baidoa this morning, we are pushing them back....there are casualties as stray bullets enter houses," Captain Osman Abdullahi, a Somalia federal military officer, told Reuters.


Rain Brings Respite as Belgium Wrestles Massive Wildfire

Belgian firefighters work in a forest affected by a wildfire in Waimes, Belgium, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
Belgian firefighters work in a forest affected by a wildfire in Waimes, Belgium, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Rain Brings Respite as Belgium Wrestles Massive Wildfire

Belgian firefighters work in a forest affected by a wildfire in Waimes, Belgium, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
Belgian firefighters work in a forest affected by a wildfire in Waimes, Belgium, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)

Much-needed rain brought some respite Monday to firefighters on their fourth day battling Belgium's worst wildfire in a century, which has scorched vast expanses of nature reserve on the German border.

Europe has been swept by weeks of devastating wildfires fueled by dry conditions and a historically hot summer that has already contributed to the deaths of thousands of people.

France, Greece, Portugal and Spain were also battling major fires over the weekend.

In Belgium, currently the continent's most urgent fire front, around 500 firefighters and emergency crews have mobilized to contain the blaze, which broke out Friday for reasons still unknown in the High Fens park, an area of boggy peatlands, pine forests and hiking trails.

Water-bombing aircraft and farmers' tractors have joined forces to help tame the fire, which as of Sunday had spread to 3,000 hectares (7,500 acres) -- an area half the size of Manhattan.

But Tony Hosmans, a crisis management spokesman, told reporters Monday the blaze was no longer advancing towards the German border -- after creeping nearer over the weekend, prompting an evacuation order in the border town of Monschau.

The rain falling Monday on the area -- with more forecast on and off throughout the week -- was a welcome development.

"The wind is favorable and the current rainfall is helping to contain the spread" of the fire, said Hosmans.

"At present, the fire is contained wherever intervention is possible," he said -- although he cautioned it had not yet been brought under control, with an aerial reconnaissance mission due to deliver a fuller picture later in the day.

The blaze broke out in an area that was ravaged by massive fires in 1911, during a similar period of heatwaves and drought.

It is the country's largest wildfire since.

A huge area at the border has been blanketed by a thick plume of yellowish smoke, with fumes detected as far as eastern France, where authorities issued an air-pollution alert.

The smoke hazard has triggered the evacuation of two Belgian villages, whose residents were still under instruction to stay away.

- 'Happening to us' -

On-site operations have been made much harder by the fens' terrain -- a patchwork of heath, peat bogs and raised wooden boardwalks where heavy vehicles risk sinking into the ground, and firefighters struggle to tackle the fire at close range.

They have been counting heavily on aerial assistance to bring the situation under control, with two water-bombing aircraft from Sweden and two Dutch military Chinook helicopters backing up two Belgian helicopters on site.

Local farmers have also poured in to help battle the blaze, with a ballet of tractors pulling in tankers of water drawn from a nearby lake.

"We've provided drinks and some meals," Annick Dodemont, who runs one of many local businesses supporting the firefighting operation, told AFP.

"We can't go up there ourselves, so we help however we can," said the 41-year-old.

Like much of Europe, Belgium has experienced a new spell of intense heat and drought in recent days.

Temperatures reached as high as 37C in some parts of the country on Friday, creating conditions conducive to wildfire outbreaks.

"It's pretty shocking," Dodemont said from her restaurant in Eupen. "You always think it happens somewhere else. Well, not anymore. It's happening to us."


Taiwan's President: Record Defense Spending an Investment in Peace

A Taiwanese military member fires ammunition aboard an armoured vehicle during a drill as part of the annual Han Kuang military exercises in Taipei, Taiwan, August 13, 2026. REUTERS/Ann Wang
A Taiwanese military member fires ammunition aboard an armoured vehicle during a drill as part of the annual Han Kuang military exercises in Taipei, Taiwan, August 13, 2026. REUTERS/Ann Wang
TT

Taiwan's President: Record Defense Spending an Investment in Peace

A Taiwanese military member fires ammunition aboard an armoured vehicle during a drill as part of the annual Han Kuang military exercises in Taipei, Taiwan, August 13, 2026. REUTERS/Ann Wang
A Taiwanese military member fires ammunition aboard an armoured vehicle during a drill as part of the annual Han Kuang military exercises in Taipei, Taiwan, August 13, 2026. REUTERS/Ann Wang

Taiwan is determined to strengthen its defenses and plans record defense spending next year, President Lai Ching-te said on Monday, describing his government's military budget proposal as an investment in peace.

Taiwan's cabinet will unveil next year's budget on Thursday, including a breakdown of where defense spending will go, but Lai confirmed media reports that 2027's overall defense budget would exceed T$1 trillion ($31.40 billion) for the first time.

His announcement comes as China, which views democratically governed Taiwan as its own territory, has ramped up military ⁠and political pressure over ⁠the past few years to assert its claims, which Taipei strongly rejects.

But Taiwan also faces calls from Washington to spend more on its own defense, mirroring US pressure on Europe, something Lai has enthusiastically embraced.

Addressing a meeting about next year's budget, Lai said defense spending in 2027 would reach T$1.1225 trillion - exceeding 3% of gross domestic product, according to a transcript of the remarks released by his office.

According to Reuters, he said ⁠this "demonstrates Taiwan's determination to strengthen its self-defense capabilities".

"Investing in defense is investing in peace; we will continue to build a more solid defense force to maintain peace and stability in the Taiwan Strait and the region," Lai added.

Taiwan's government has made military modernization a key policy platform and has repeatedly pledged to spend more on its defenses, including developing made-in-Taiwan submarines, given the rising threat from China.

China's military operates almost daily in the waters and skies around Taiwan, and Beijing has also been honing new tactics, such as coastguard "law enforcement" patrols off Taiwan's east coast in the Pacific Ocean.

William Chung, an assistant research fellow at Taiwan Defense ⁠Ministry think-tank the ⁠Institute for National Defense and Security Research, said China's east coast activities were not only aimed at exerting psychological pressure, but also combat training and intelligence gathering.

"If actual hostilities break out across the Taiwan Strait, the entire eastern maritime area of Taiwan will be Taiwan's most critical outlet to the outside world," he told a forum in Taipei earlier on Monday.

Taiwan finished its annual Han Kuang military drills last week, simulating a range of battle scenarios including how to break a potential Chinese maritime blockade.

China's Defense Ministry called the drills a "wasteful charade" that "stoked war panic".

Lai also faces a challenge from Taiwan's opposition-dominated parliament, which only passed this year's budget late on Friday after months of delays.

The two main opposition parties say they will not write blank checks for the government.