Seven Migrants Dead, 50 Rescued off Libya

FILE - Migrants are brought to shore after being intercepted by the Libyan coast guard on the Mediterranean Sea, in Garaboli Libya, on Oct. 18, 2021. (AP Photo/Yousef Murad, File)
FILE - Migrants are brought to shore after being intercepted by the Libyan coast guard on the Mediterranean Sea, in Garaboli Libya, on Oct. 18, 2021. (AP Photo/Yousef Murad, File)
TT

Seven Migrants Dead, 50 Rescued off Libya

FILE - Migrants are brought to shore after being intercepted by the Libyan coast guard on the Mediterranean Sea, in Garaboli Libya, on Oct. 18, 2021. (AP Photo/Yousef Murad, File)
FILE - Migrants are brought to shore after being intercepted by the Libyan coast guard on the Mediterranean Sea, in Garaboli Libya, on Oct. 18, 2021. (AP Photo/Yousef Murad, File)

An Italian rescue charity said on Monday it pulled 50 people to safety from a double-deck wooden boat in international waters off Libya, and recovered seven bodies.

Emergency said it spotted the "overcrowded wooden boat" in the early hours and began the rescue operation.

"Halfway through the rescue, our team noticed nine people lying on the deck," Jonathan Nani La Terra, the mission leader on board Emergency's Life Support search and rescue vessel, said in a statement.

The nine "had been moved there by other survivors who had recovered them from the hold where they had spent the entire journey", he said.

"Nothing could be done for seven of them. Two are in a critical condition due to suffocation," he said.

The migrants, who hail from Somalia and Egypt, said the boat had set off from Zuwara in Libya early on Sunday.

The International Organization for Migration said last week that the number of known migrant deaths in the central Mediterranean has increased drastically, even as migrant numbers fall because of harsher European policies.

This was partly due to a bout of severe weather in January and journeys growing longer with migrant boats departing further away from European shores.

Some 17,800 migrants have arrived in Italy so far this year, compared to 39,116 during the same period in 2025, according to interior ministry data.

 

 

 

 



Iraqi Kurdistan Prime Minister Condemns Iranian Drone Attack Targeting His Office

Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani
Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani
TT

Iraqi Kurdistan Prime Minister Condemns Iranian Drone Attack Targeting His Office

Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani
Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani

The office of Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani and the headquarters of the region’s local intelligence director were targeted on Monday by two explosive-laden drones.

Barzani described the attack on his personal office as “a dangerous escalation and a direct threat to the security and stability of the region.”

“Based on information and investigations conducted by the Kurdistan Region’s Counter-Terrorism Directorate, it has been established that my personal office and the residence of the head of the Parastin Agency were targeted today by Iranian drones,” Barzani said.

“I strongly condemn these reckless and unacceptable attacks and affirm that they constitute a dangerous escalation and a direct threat to the security and stability of the region. Such attacks will not deter us from continuing to carry out our duties and protect our citizens,” he added.


Drones from Iran Attack PM’s Office in Iraqi Kurdistan

The attacks happened with Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones. Reuters file photo
The attacks happened with Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones. Reuters file photo
TT

Drones from Iran Attack PM’s Office in Iraqi Kurdistan

The attacks happened with Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones. Reuters file photo
The attacks happened with Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones. Reuters file photo

Two drones launched from inside Iran attacked the office of the Kurdistan Regional Government's prime minister in ⁠Iraq and the home of the autonomous region's intelligence chief overnight, authorities said Monday.

"Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones were launched from across the Iranian border toward the private office of the Kurdistan region prime minister and the residence of the Parastin Agency director," the regional Counter-Terrorism Directorate said.

“Fortunately, no casualties were reported,” it added.


King of Jordan to Visit China from August 18

Jordan's King Abdullah II ibn Al-Hussein speaks during a news conference in Berlin, Germany, March 15, 2022. REUTERS/Hannibal Hanschke
Jordan's King Abdullah II ibn Al-Hussein speaks during a news conference in Berlin, Germany, March 15, 2022. REUTERS/Hannibal Hanschke
TT

King of Jordan to Visit China from August 18

Jordan's King Abdullah II ibn Al-Hussein speaks during a news conference in Berlin, Germany, March 15, 2022. REUTERS/Hannibal Hanschke
Jordan's King Abdullah II ibn Al-Hussein speaks during a news conference in Berlin, Germany, March 15, 2022. REUTERS/Hannibal Hanschke

Jordan’s King Abdullah II will visit China from Tuesday for talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping, Beijing announced on Monday.

The trip, at the invitation of Xi, will take place from August 18 to 24, Beijing's foreign ministry said in a statement.

The leaders will "exchange views on bilateral relations and international and regional issues of common concern,” Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Lin Jian said.

"China is willing to work with Jordan to take this visit as an opportunity to jointly enhance political mutual trust, expand mutually beneficial cooperation... and make positive contributions to regional peace, stability and development," he added.

During his visit to China -- his ninth since he took the throne in 1999 -- the Jordanian king will also visit Shanghai and Shenzhen.

King Abdullah II's visit to China will map out the next decade of strategic cooperation with Xi, according to Chinese Ambassador to Amman Guo Wei.

Guo told the Jordan News Agency (Petra) that the upcoming summit marks a key milestone as Jordan and China approach the 50th anniversary of diplomatic relations next year.

Economic cooperation between Amman and Beijing expanded rapidly, according to the ambassador. China became Jordan’s top trading partner in 2025, with bilateral trade surging over 25 percent to exceed $6.7 billion. Jordan's exports to China jumped 80 percent in the first five months of this year alone, reaching nearly $300 million.

Chinese investments in Jordan now exceed $3 billion, supporting major sectors such as engineering, textiles, steel, ceramics, energy, logistics, and e-commerce, while employing thousands of Jordanians.

Beyond economic ties, cultural and educational exchanges continue to grow. Over 600 Jordanian students are currently learning Chinese across seven institutions, while around 500 Chinese students study in Jordan.

Chinese culture is also gaining strong traction across Jordan, with tea, culinary, and poetry events reaching local schools and communities.