Macron Pledges Air Defense as 13 Killed in Russia, Ukraine Strikes

Firefighters work at the site of a shopping mall hit by Russian drone strikes in Kryvyi Rih, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Dnipropetrovsk region, Ukraine August 21, 2026. Head of the Dnipropetrovsk Regional Military Administration Oleksandr Hanzha via Telegram/Handout via REUTERS
Firefighters work at the site of a shopping mall hit by Russian drone strikes in Kryvyi Rih, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Dnipropetrovsk region, Ukraine August 21, 2026. Head of the Dnipropetrovsk Regional Military Administration Oleksandr Hanzha via Telegram/Handout via REUTERS
TT

Macron Pledges Air Defense as 13 Killed in Russia, Ukraine Strikes

Firefighters work at the site of a shopping mall hit by Russian drone strikes in Kryvyi Rih, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Dnipropetrovsk region, Ukraine August 21, 2026. Head of the Dnipropetrovsk Regional Military Administration Oleksandr Hanzha via Telegram/Handout via REUTERS
Firefighters work at the site of a shopping mall hit by Russian drone strikes in Kryvyi Rih, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Dnipropetrovsk region, Ukraine August 21, 2026. Head of the Dnipropetrovsk Regional Military Administration Oleksandr Hanzha via Telegram/Handout via REUTERS

France on Saturday promised to deliver new interceptor missiles to Ukraine amid a surge in Russian strikes that have pushed civilian deaths in the four-and-a-half-year war to their highest since the first months of Moscow's invasion. 

At least 13 people were killed in strikes overnight and through Saturday -- seven in Ukraine, four in Russia and two in Russia-annexed Crimea. 

The latest deadly attacks come as rescuers in the eastern Ukrainian city of Kryvyi Rig were sifting through the rubble of a part-destroyed shopping center, where 16 were killed a day earlier in a Russian drone attack. 

Ukraine's allies in the Coalition of the Willing -- an initiative led by France and Britain -- will meet on Monday to look at how to ramp up pressure on Moscow to halt its invasion. 

Diplomacy has stalled with the United States, which had brokered several rounds of direct talks between Kyiv and Moscow, but which is now distracted by its war on Iran and frustrated the conflict has not been as easy to solve as President Donald Trump once touted. 

Announcing the new missile interceptors, French President Emmanuel Macron wrote on X: "It is crucial to provide Ukraine with all the necessary means to defend its skies and thwart this aggression." 

Russia has pounded Ukraine -- the capital Kyiv especially -- with ballistic missile attacks in recent months. 

The hard-to-intercept super-fast weapons reach their target within minutes, making it virtually impossible for locals in Kyiv to reach an underground shelter in time. 

Among the deadly attacks on Saturday was a Ukrainian drone strike on a house in southern Russia, killing two children and wounding their parents, the head of the Krasnodar region said. 

"This morning, civilian infrastructure and residential buildings in the Yeysk district came under a drone attack," Governor Veniamin Kondratyev said. 

"As a result of yet another vile and cynical strike ... two children were killed, and two adults are in the hospital," he added. 

Russia fired a ballistic missile towards Kyiv in the middle of the day -- while the German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul was visiting for talks with his Ukrainian counterpart and President Volodymyr Zelensky. 

Two were killed and several wounded in the Boryspil district, on the eastern outskirts of the city. 

At least four were killed in a series of strikes on the frontline region of Zaporizhzhia, Ukrainian officials said. 

- 'Cynical' mall strike - 

Ukraine has for weeks faced a critical shortage of advanced missile interceptors -- chief among them, US-made Patriots. 

Kyiv's own weapons are not able to shoot down the high-arching ballistic missiles that Russia has been firing in their dozens. 

In Zelensky's home city of Kryvyi Rig, three people were still missing after Russian drones smashed into a busy shopping center on Friday afternoon, the regional governor said. 

Sixteen people have been confirmed killed and more than 100 wounded. 

The strike set the mall ablaze and sent blood-covered victims running for the streets, only for a second drone to fly in around half an hour later -- a double-tap attack blasted by Zelensky as "cynical and despicable". 

Mourners placed flowers and letters on the grass outside the mall in a makeshift memorial on Saturday. 

An AFP reporter saw machinery piling up twisted and charred metal. 

Supermarket shelves stacked with products blackened from the fire were stacked up beneath a cratered ceiling and behind blown-out windows. 

The strikes marked the latest escalation in the four-and-a-half-year conflict. 

The United Nations reported that the civilian death toll so far this year had risen to its highest level since the first months of the war. 



Egypt Tries to Revive US-Iran Negotiations

 Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Egypt Tries to Revive US-Iran Negotiations

 Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)

The top diplomats for Egypt and Iran discussed efforts to bring Tehran and Washington back to the negotiating table to settle the war, Egypt's foreign ministry said on Saturday.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and Egyptian counterpart Badr Abdelatty also discussed the Iranian-Omani talks on the management of the Strait of Hormuz, the ministry said.

Araghchi briefed Egypt's foreign minister about “Iran’s view of ongoing developments, the course of negotiations and their challenges,” the ministry said, without elaborating.

There was no immediate statement from Araghchi.


Putin Says Ukraine Opened ‘Pandora’s Box’ with Strikes on Economic Targets

 Russian President Vladimir Putin gives an interview to journalist Pavel Zarubin in Moscow, Russia, August 22, 2026. (Sputnik/Mikhail Metzel/Pool via Reuters)
Russian President Vladimir Putin gives an interview to journalist Pavel Zarubin in Moscow, Russia, August 22, 2026. (Sputnik/Mikhail Metzel/Pool via Reuters)
TT

Putin Says Ukraine Opened ‘Pandora’s Box’ with Strikes on Economic Targets

 Russian President Vladimir Putin gives an interview to journalist Pavel Zarubin in Moscow, Russia, August 22, 2026. (Sputnik/Mikhail Metzel/Pool via Reuters)
Russian President Vladimir Putin gives an interview to journalist Pavel Zarubin in Moscow, Russia, August 22, 2026. (Sputnik/Mikhail Metzel/Pool via Reuters)

Russian President Vladimir Putin said in comments published on Saturday that Kyiv had opened "Pandora's box" with its strikes on Russian economic targets, saying that Russia would hit back at Ukraine's "most sensitive economic sectors".

Ukraine has this summer escalated a campaign of drone strikes targeting Russian economic infrastructure, including oil refineries and online retailers' warehouses, seeking to ‌destroy infrastructure it ‌says is central to Russia's ‌war ⁠effort.

Russia has responded ⁠with strikes against Ukrainian economic infrastructure, including Ukrainian grain exports via the Black Sea.

"The Kyiv regime set out to damage our economy. What did it do? It opened this Pandora’s box itself. Well then, expect a response targeting your ⁠most sensitive economic sectors," Putin said ‌in comments to ‌a Russian state television journalist.

He said that the strikes, ‌which have jeopardized Ukraine's agricultural exports, would ‌not cause global food shortages, because Russia would be able to replace Ukrainian exports, even as Kyiv has targeted Russian grain export infrastructure.

"We do face ‌challenges regarding the shipment of our goods, but we will resolve these issues. ⁠Consequently, ⁠there will be no shortage on the global market," Putin said.

Russia and Ukraine had previously adhered to a Turkish-brokered deal to protect grain exports on the Black Sea. But Russia exited the deal in 2023.

The Russian leader also restated his position that Moscow is open to peace talks, but only on the basis of "realities on the ground", rather than what he called "exotic" proposals that he said had been made by Ukraine via intermediaries.


Iran Condemns US Plans to Announce New Sanctions

Iranian people walk past an anti-US mural in Tehran, Iran, 17 August 2026. (EPA)
Iranian people walk past an anti-US mural in Tehran, Iran, 17 August 2026. (EPA)
TT

Iran Condemns US Plans to Announce New Sanctions

Iranian people walk past an anti-US mural in Tehran, Iran, 17 August 2026. (EPA)
Iranian people walk past an anti-US mural in Tehran, Iran, 17 August 2026. (EPA)

Iran on Saturday denounced US plans to announce new sanctions that could put further strain on the country’s economy and have an impact on its most important trading partners including China.

After nearly six months of war since the US and Israel launched airstrikes against Iran on February 28, the sides are not firing at each other but also showing no sign of pursuing peace talks.

Oil shipments are at a virtual standstill in the Strait of Hormuz, with Tehran threatening to strike any unauthorized oil tankers that try to transit the vital waterway, and Iran's economy is already under immense pressure from sanctions.

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent is due to hold a press conference at 2 p.m. EDT (1800 GMT) on Monday after threatening "the toughest sanctions in history" on Iran.

Bessent has also urged cooperation with Washington by China, which buys more than 80% of Iran's shipped oil, according to 2025 data from ‌analytics firm Kpler. ‌Beijing has urged diplomacy.

Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesperson, Esmaeil Baghaei, said on Saturday the imminent US announcement of ‌new ⁠economic sanctions was an "assertion ⁠of extraterritorial sovereignty over every independent member state of the United Nations."

"Such secondary sanctions find no foundation in international law," he said in a post on X.

The chief of staff of Iran's armed forces, Major General Ali Abdollahi, promised on Friday that Iran would respond to enemy threats militarily with "crushing, punishing and devastating responses.”

US President Donald Trump, who has warned of economic consequences against any country that provides "any type of lifeline to Iran," said on Friday that Washington was observing "what happens" in the conflict.

"They would love to make a deal, but they're not ready to make the right deal, in my opinion," Trump said of Iran.

HORMUZ TRAFFIC HALTED

While the US has effectively blockaded Iranian vessels in their ports, the Strait of ⁠Hormuz remained bottled up with thousands of seafarers stranded on hundreds of vessels.

Only four commodity ships ‌sailed along the strait on Thursday, none of them large crude carriers or liquefied ‌natural gas tankers, ship-tracking data showed.

However, Iran has granted permission for a number of Iraqi oil tankers to pass through the Strait following repeated requests from ‌Baghdad, Iran’s state news agency IRNA reported on Saturday.

IRNA said obtaining special permission for Iraqi tankers was one of Baghdad’s main requests ‌during a visit to Iraq by Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf.

US Energy Secretary Chris Wright said the US military helped move a seven-day average of 8 million barrels a day of oil through the strait. That's down from more than 20 million per day before the war or about one of every five barrels consumed worldwide.

US attacks have severely diminished Iran's economy and devastated its navy and air force, but Tehran maintains enough missile and drone capability ‌to impede oil tanker traffic and attack regional rivals.

Abdollahi, the armed forces chief of staff, sought to underline Iran's missile capabilities during a visit to an underground plant manufacturing ballistic missiles that was reported ⁠by state television on Saturday.

"This ⁠plant has been able, much better than in the past, to produce equipment superior both in capacities and quality and in quantity," he said.

Trump, meanwhile, has yet to achieve objectives he set at the start of the war such as dismantling Iran's nuclear program - the state of which remains uncertain given that UN inspectors have been shut out since 2025 - and creating conditions for Iranians to overthrow their clerical rulers.

Thousands have been killed, mainly in Iran, where 168 Iranian school children were killed on the first day of the war. The US has reported more than 750 military personnel wounded and 18 killed.

While Iran remains defiant, President Masoud Pezeshkian has also called for a diplomatic solution.

"It would be better to end the war today, when we are powerful and have dignity, and the whole world acknowledges our victory and emphasizes that America, contrary to all regulations, attacked our schools, hospitals, and infrastructure and is hated in the world," the ISNA news agency quoted him as saying on Friday.