Erdogan Renews Rejection of Withdrawing Turkish Forces from Northern Syria

A Syrian family in Sanliurfa, eastern Türkiye (AFP)
A Syrian family in Sanliurfa, eastern Türkiye (AFP)
TT

Erdogan Renews Rejection of Withdrawing Turkish Forces from Northern Syria

A Syrian family in Sanliurfa, eastern Türkiye (AFP)
A Syrian family in Sanliurfa, eastern Türkiye (AFP)

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has renewed his refusal to withdraw his forces from northern Syria because this would constitute a "security weakness."

Erdogan reiterated on Tuesday that plans are underway to organize the return of over a million Syrian refugees to the safe zones that Türkiye had established in Syria.

During an interview with TRT Television, Erdogan said it was not possible to withdraw Turkish forces from northern Syria because it would threaten the security of the borders.

"We have already supported the safe and voluntary return of refugees from the beginning. So far, nearly 560,000 refugees have returned to areas cleared of terrorism. This number will increase as terrorist organizations are wiped out in Syria."

The issue of Syrian refugees and the withdrawal of Turkish forces from Syria became a top priority in Türkiye ahead of the runoff vote after Erdogan could not win the presidential race in the first round.

He will face the leader of the main opposition CHP, Kemal Kilicdaroglu.

Kilicdaroglu stated that Türkiye would immediately deport 10 million refugees and immigrants if he won the polls. He then adopted a less harsh rhetoric before the first round of the elections, saying the Syrians would be returned to their country within two years through negotiations with the Syrian government, EU, and UN to ensure their voluntary and safe return.

Erdogan criticized the Turkish opposition for announcing that it would withdraw forces from Syria if it won the elections and would establish full and normal relations with Damascus.

During an electoral event in Istanbul, he said that the opposition wants to pull out from the security corridors that Türkiye set up to protect its borders from terrorist organizations, Kurdish People's Defense Units (YPG), which are the largest components of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF).

The Turkish President said that there are no obstacles to meeting Bashar Assad if he succeeds in combating terrorist organizations on Turkey's borders.

Erdogan added in an interview with CNN last Friday that he had a good relationship with the Assad family, and the two families used to meet in the past, but certain developments unfolded, which led to the deterioration of the relationship.

"We have more than 900 kilometers of border, and there is a constant terror threat from those borders on our country," he said. "The only reason we have a military presence on the border is the fight against terrorism. That's the sole reason."

"(Through) my friendship with President [Vladimir] Putin, we thought we could open a door, specifically in our fight against terrorism in the northern part of Syria, which requires close cooperation and solidarity," he said.

He pointed out that the issue of the return of refugees is on the agenda of the ongoing quad talks between Türkiye, Russia, Iran, and Syria and achieved positive indications.

The President noted that Türkiye continues to build houses, with the support of civil organizations and neighboring countries, to create suitable conditions for the return of refugees.

Erdogan stressed that Türkiye aims to secure the return of about a million refugees, and perhaps more in the first stage, through new house construction projects.

After Sunday's second round of the presidential elections, Türkiye will establish a road map for the refugees' return.

On Monday, Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu ruled out the return of all displaced Syrians to their country, even if Ankara normalizes relations with Damascus, citing Türkiye's need for manpower in certain sectors, especially the agricultural and industrial sectors.

Cavusoglu said it wouldn't be accurate to claim that Türkiye will return all Syrians to the country.

Furthermore, Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu announced that Türkiye hosted 3,381,429 Syrian refugees under temporary protection.

Soylu added in a television interview that 70 percent of the Syrians want to return to their country if the appropriate conditions and infrastructure are available, adding that houses are being built with the support of international donors, especially Qatar.

He denied escalating crimes involving Syrians, stressing that Syrians are "disciplined."

Soylu indicated that authorities only granted Syrian Turkmen citizenship after reviewing their poor conditions.



Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.