Turkish Forces Kill 11 YPG Members in Northern Syria

Leading members of SDF were killed in a vehicle targeted by a Turkish drone in Tell Rifaat. (Twitter) 
Leading members of SDF were killed in a vehicle targeted by a Turkish drone in Tell Rifaat. (Twitter) 
TT

Turkish Forces Kill 11 YPG Members in Northern Syria

Leading members of SDF were killed in a vehicle targeted by a Turkish drone in Tell Rifaat. (Twitter) 
Leading members of SDF were killed in a vehicle targeted by a Turkish drone in Tell Rifaat. (Twitter) 

Turkish intelligence forces have neutralized 11 from the People’s Protection Units (YPG), the largest component of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), in an operation conducted in Manbij, Aleppo’s eastern countryside.

Turkish security sources said Monday that the intelligence members determined the sites from where attacks were launched against the Operation Euphrates Shield area that is controlled by the Turkish forces and the factions known as Ankara-pro Syrian National Army in Aleppo.

The intelligence further determined the locations from where “terrorists” sneak to carry out terrorist attacks in the region.

Anadolu Agency quoted sources as saying that the MIT closely monitored the shelters of terrorists in Manbij and conducted simultaneous operations in cooperation with the Turkish Armed Forces, killing 11 terrorists from the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) and its extensions and destroying a terrorists’ compound.

Türkiye considers the YPG an extension of the Kurdistan Workers' Party in Syria.

Ankara escalated land and aerial shelling in the past three weeks against the sites ruled by SDF and the Syrian army in northern Syria in retaliation for two SDF offensives on a military base in Kaljibrin in Aleppo’s northern countryside ad a police station in Kilis.

The Turkish Ministry of National Defense announced 69 SDF members dead in response to the two offensives.

The escalation mainly focused on Manbij and Tell Rifaat which Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced last year as the focus of a new Turkish operation that targets the SDF-ruled locations in order to resume the establishment of safe zones for Syrian refugees.

Erdogan reiterated talks about the military operation months before the presidential and parliamentary elections held in Türkiye in May. Yet it faced objections from the US, Russia, and several parties involved in the Syrian crisis.

The Turkish intelligence eradicated via drones several leaders from the YPG through recent operations in northern Syria.

Moreover, the intelligence revealed on Friday the killing of Abdul Rahman Chadarchi (Jadarji), a member of the PKK, which is designated as a terrorist organization, in an operation conducted in Al-Qamishly.

Meanwhile, Russian Military Police conducted on Monday a one-sided patrol without the Turkish forces in the eastern countryside of Kobani, eastern Aleppo.

A joint patrol was scheduled between the Russian and Turkish forces. However, the Turkish military vehicles did not show up at the border gate near the village of Gharib, 20 km east of Kobani, due to the Eid holiday.

Four Russian military vehicles passed through the scheduled patrol route alone, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

Moreover, Russian forces conducted a military patrol comprising four military armored vehicles in the eastern and western countryside of Al-Dirbasiya, where the patrol set off from Al-Qamishly Airport in northern Al-Hasakah countryside and checked military checkpoints where the Syrian army is stationed near the Turkish borders.

The Russian forces continued to conduct one-sided patrols during the past three months which witnessed a Turkish escalation in the SDF and Syrian forces areas.



Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
TT

Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)

Lebanon said an Israeli strike on the country's largest Palestinian refugee camp killed two people on Friday, with Israel's army saying it had targeted the Palestinian group Hamas. 

The official National News Agency said "an Israeli drone" targeted a neighborhood of the Ain al-Hilweh camp, which is located on the outskirts of the southern city of Sidon. 

Lebanon's health ministry said two people were killed in the raid. The NNA had earlier reported one dead and an unspecified number of wounded. 

An AFP correspondent saw smoke rising from a building in the densely populated camp as ambulances headed to the scene. 

The Israeli army said in a statement that its forces "struck a Hamas command center from which terrorists operated", calling activity there "a violation of the ceasefire understandings between Israel and Lebanon" and a threat to Israel. 

The Israeli military "is operating against the entrenchment" of the Palestinian group in Lebanon and will "continue to act decisively against Hamas terrorists wherever they operate", it added. 

Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to halt more than a year of hostilities with Hezbollah. 

Israel has also struck targets belonging to Hezbollah's Palestinian ally Hamas, including in a raid on Ain al-Hilweh last November that killed 13 people. 

The UN rights office had said 11 children were killed in that strike, which Israel said targeted a Hamas training compound, though the group denied it had military installations in Palestinian camps in Lebanon. 

In October 2023, Hezbollah began launching rockets at Israel in support of Hamas at the outset of the Gaza war, triggering hostilities that culminated in two months of all-out war between Israel and the Iran-backed Lebanese group. 

On Sunday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country's east killed four people, as Israel said it targeted operatives from Palestinian group Islamic Jihad. 


UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.