Libya Border Guards Rescue Migrants In Desert

Migrants from sub-Saharan African countries were found in an uninhabited area near the Tunisia-Libya border where they say they were dumped by authorities
Mahmud Turkia - AFP
Migrants from sub-Saharan African countries were found in an uninhabited area near the Tunisia-Libya border where they say they were dumped by authorities Mahmud Turkia - AFP
TT

Libya Border Guards Rescue Migrants In Desert

Migrants from sub-Saharan African countries were found in an uninhabited area near the Tunisia-Libya border where they say they were dumped by authorities
Mahmud Turkia - AFP
Migrants from sub-Saharan African countries were found in an uninhabited area near the Tunisia-Libya border where they say they were dumped by authorities Mahmud Turkia - AFP

Libyan border guards have rescued dozens of migrants in the desert, an officer said Sunday.

An AFP team at the Libyan-Tunisian border saw migrants who were visibly exhausted and dehydrated, sitting or lying on the sand and using shrubs to try and shield themselves from the scorching summer heat that topped 40 degrees Celsius (104 Fahrenheit).

The group were in an uninhabited area close to Al-Assah, a town near the Tunisia-Libya border, nearly 150 kilometres (93 miles) west of Tripoli.

"The number of migrants keep rising every day," said Mohamad Abou Snenah of the border patrol unit, telling AFP they have rescued "50 to 70 migrants".

"We offer them medical attention, first aid, considering the journey they have made through the desert."

At a reception center, AFP correspondents saw a group of women and children, including toddlers, lying on mattresses and eating yogurt.

The port of Sfax is a departure point for many migrants from impoverished and violence-torn countries seeking a better life in Europe by making a perilous Mediterranean crossing, often in makeshift boats.

In Libya, human traffickers have long profited from the chaos since the 2011 overthrow of strongman Moamer Kadhafi, and the country has faced accusations over migrant abuse.

Tunisian rights groups said on Friday that between 100 and 150 migrants, including women and children, were still stuck on the border with Libya.

The Tunisian Red Crescent said it has provided shelter to more than 600 migrants who had been taken after July 3 to the militarized zone of Ras Jedir north of Al-Assah on the Mediterranean coast.



Israel Says It Has Serious Concerns with Hamas Disarmament Deal

Mourners carry flag-draped body bags containing the remains of Palestinians killed in Israeli strikes during the war with Hamas and recently recovered from the rubble, during a mass funeral in Gaza City on August 20, 2026. (AFP)
Mourners carry flag-draped body bags containing the remains of Palestinians killed in Israeli strikes during the war with Hamas and recently recovered from the rubble, during a mass funeral in Gaza City on August 20, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Israel Says It Has Serious Concerns with Hamas Disarmament Deal

Mourners carry flag-draped body bags containing the remains of Palestinians killed in Israeli strikes during the war with Hamas and recently recovered from the rubble, during a mass funeral in Gaza City on August 20, 2026. (AFP)
Mourners carry flag-draped body bags containing the remains of Palestinians killed in Israeli strikes during the war with Hamas and recently recovered from the rubble, during a mass funeral in Gaza City on August 20, 2026. (AFP)

Israel has shared “serious security concerns” with the White House regarding the proposed disarmament deal with Hamas, an Israeli official said as Israeli strikes overnight and into Sunday evening killed at least 17 people, including children, in Gaza.

The remarks by Doron Spielman, spokesperson for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office, were some of the first public comments since US President Donald Trump announced the agreement.

Spielman told The Associated Press that Israel's intelligence assessment is that Hamas remains committed to rebuilding its military rather than genuinely demilitarizing. He said the Israeli military would not withdraw from Gaza — where it controls more than 60% of the territory — before Hamas disarms.

“Our assessment is that if we redeploy before Hamas is truly disarmed, it will quickly expand its presence throughout Gaza, rebuild its terrorist infrastructure, once again threaten Israeli communities, and seek to carry out another Oct. 7-style attack,” he said, referring to the Hamas attack on Israel in 2023 that triggered the war in the Gaza Strip.

“Disarming means physically giving up the weapons. Nothing less,” Spielman said.

His comments come days after Hamas said that it would begin disarming as part of the US-brokered ceasefire signed nine months ago to end the nearly three-year-long conflict. It marks a potential breakthrough in ending the conflict, but many hurdles, conditions and long timelines remain.

Hamas says it's agreed to disarm but the process has obstacles

Trump’s 20-point ceasefire plan calls on the militant group to surrender its weapons and destroy its vast network of tunnels. It also envisions Israeli forces withdrawing from Gaza, the arrival of a new technocratic Palestinian government, deployment of an international security force and the rebuilding of the battered Palestinian enclave.

Hamas disarming has been a sticking point and has deadlocked negotiations for months. In announcing the deal on social media on Thursday, Trump said it would be carried out in “carefully structured phases.”

A copy of the agreement obtained and verified by the AP said that all weapons held by the Hamas-run police will be transferred to the US-backed Palestinian technocratic committee, known as the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza, upon its arrival in the enclave. It’s not clear when that would happen since it is contingent on other steps.

A process to decommission and store heavy weapons and to dismantle military production sites and tunnels will begin after the arrival of the Palestinian committee and the deployment of international forces. The process will be linked to a phased Israeli withdrawal, according to the agreement.

The areas Israel controls in Gaza have been mostly destroyed and depopulated. Most of the territory’s 2 million Palestinians are in the other part, where hundreds of thousands live in squalid tent camps and destroyed neighborhoods.

Israel appears unlikely to pull back significant forces or make other concessions ahead of its October elections. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu faces a tough reelection battle, with his far-right coalition partners urging him to keep up the pressure on Hamas and leave forces in Gaza, and opponents accusing him of failing to prevent the Oct. 7, 2023, attack.

Hamas-led fighters attacked Israeli communities then, killing around 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and taking 251 others hostage. Israel responded with a punishing military offensive that has killed more than 73,000 people, according to the Gaza Health Ministry.

The ministry, part of the Hamas-run government, maintains detailed records viewed as generally reliable by UN agencies and international organizations. It does not distinguish between civilians and fighters but says women and children make up around half of all fatalities.

Israel warns that Hamas is rearming

While Spielman said Israel greatly appreciates Trump’s commitment to its security and to finding a durable resolution, the government's position on disarmament is based on detailed intelligence saying that Hamas continues to rearm, recruit fighters, and rebuild its military capabilities.

The White House did not provide additional comments on Sunday, when asked specifically about Israel’s assessment that Hamas remains committed to rebuilding its military.

US officials, who briefed reporters on the disarmament agreement last week, said that Israel had been consulted at every step of the negotiations and was not being asked to do anything more than what it had committed to as part of the ceasefire and hostage release agreement signed last October.

It's unclear what exactly Israel conveyed to the White House. Two people with knowledge of the deal told the AP that Israel had communicated its issues with it to former British Prime Minister Tony Blair, who's part of the Trump-led Board of Peace. One of them said that among the points Israel wanted was freedom to conduct military operations in Gaza. They spoke anonymously because they were not authorized to speak to the media.

According to another person familiar with the deal, the Israelis raised two other issues: that Qatar and Türkiye not be involved in verifying the stages of the agreement, and that Hamas’ weapons be destroyed after confiscation. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media.

Israel continues to strike Gaza

Since the ceasefire was signed last October, Israel has continued striking Gaza, saying it’s targeting Hamas and its infrastructure.

Local Gaza hospitals said at least 17 were killed in the latest Israeli strikes, including children. A strike on a residential apartment in southern Gaza killed three family members, including their 4-year-old child, according to Nasser hospital, where the bodies arrived.

The Israeli military said the strikes had targeted militant operatives.


Israel’s Deadly Gaza Strikes Cast Doubt on Ceasefire Progress Days After Kushner Visit

The Israeli army demolishes buildings east of Deir al-Balah, central Gaza Strip, Saturday, Aug. 22, 2026. (AP)
The Israeli army demolishes buildings east of Deir al-Balah, central Gaza Strip, Saturday, Aug. 22, 2026. (AP)
TT

Israel’s Deadly Gaza Strikes Cast Doubt on Ceasefire Progress Days After Kushner Visit

The Israeli army demolishes buildings east of Deir al-Balah, central Gaza Strip, Saturday, Aug. 22, 2026. (AP)
The Israeli army demolishes buildings east of Deir al-Balah, central Gaza Strip, Saturday, Aug. 22, 2026. (AP)

Deadly airstrikes in Gaza on Wednesday cast more doubt on whether new US efforts can advance a tenuous ceasefire in the Palestinian territory.

Just two days after US negotiators reportedly asked Israel to draw down attacks in the Gaza Strip, at least 10 people were killed Wednesday in two strikes, according to local hospitals and the Palestinian Red Crescent. Israeli troops also crossed the ceasefire line in southern Gaza and detained a Hamas police colonel at dawn Wednesday, two witnesses and a Hamas official said.

Israel's military said one of the strikes on Wednesday, in the area of Nuseirat refugee camp, struck a Hamas commander who had participated in the Hamas-led attack in southern Israel on Oct. 7, 2023, in which 1,200 people, mostly civilians, were killed and 251 abducted.

A second strike in the Tuffah area of Gaza City struck four Hamas militants gathering in a police station, the military said, claiming they were planning to carry out attacks against Israeli troops.

Israel's military said a strike the day before targeted a meeting of four Hamas commanders and additional militants.

The commanders killed included Mohammad Hamdi Ahmad Al-Masri, Mohammad Attar and Mohammad Fathi Hussein Nasser, all accused of carrying out terrorist attacks against Israeli troops, and Samed Samir Harb Abu Habal, who infiltrated Israeli territory during the Oct. 7, 2023, Hamas attack, according to a statement from Israel's military.

The Hamas-run Interior Ministry said the Wednesday Gaza City strike on the police station killed eight police officers and a 13-year-old girl. Two officers were women, it said. One person was killed in Nuseirat. On Tuesday evening, an Israeli strike on a busy seaside cafe killed seven Palestinians, including a child, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry.

Jared Kushner, a US negotiator and President Donald Trump's son-in-law, held a marathon meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday, in which he asked Israel's leader to draw down attacks on Gaza, a person familiar with the meeting said. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to brief journalists.

Also on Wednesday, Israel's military said it had completed reviews of 150 incidents of troop conduct during the war in Gaza and would launch criminal investigations into the 2024 killings of a 5-year-old girl and her family, as well as of 15 Palestinian paramedics in 2025.

At least 17 killed in Israeli strikes

The deadly strikes in Gaza on Tuesday and Wednesday exacted more casualties even as a ceasefire that’s been in place since October has significantly diminished the fighting in the tiny enclave where more than 2 million Palestinians live. Since the ceasefire, Israeli strikes have killed at least 1,273 people, according to health officials in Gaza.

The nearly three-year Israel-Hamas war has killed more than 73,400 Palestinians, according to Gaza's Health Ministry. The ministry, part of the Hamas-run government, maintains detailed records viewed as generally reliable by UN agencies and international organizations. It doesn't distinguish between civilians and fighters, but says women and children make up around half of the toll.

In the early hours of Wednesday, at least 15 Israeli troops entered the Muwasi coastal area, west of the city of Khan Younis, two residents and a Hamas official said.

Accompanied by armed men, the troops stormed the tent of Sabri Abdel-All, a colonel for the Hamas-led Blue Police in Khan Younis. They also detained another resident identified as Nashat Ezzat Zaarab, they said.

The two residents and the Hamas official spoke on condition of anonymity for their safety.

Latest ceasefire negotiations offer few concrete commitments

On the diplomatic front, the ceasefire also appears stalled. Trump's initial ceasefire plan laid out a broad vision for ending Hamas’ rule in Gaza and rebuilding the territory, much of which was reduced to rubble during the war.

But since last fall, major sticking points have emerged on the conditions of Hamas' disarmament and Israel's withdrawal — and which should come first.

Earlier this month, Trump announced that Hamas had agreed to disarm. But Hamas said it would begin to disarm if Israel halts strikes and withdraws, adding that laying down its heavy weapons would come later and be contingent on the creation of a Palestinian state — something Israel’s government rejects.

Netanyahu also pushed back on the deal, saying Israel won't withdraw from its current lines in Gaza until Hamas has completely disarmed.

After Wednesday's strikes, Hamas spokesperson Hazem Qassem lashed out at the Board of Peace — the body Trump established to oversee the ceasefire — saying it has provided a "cover” for Israel to escalate its attacks in Gaza instead of pressuring it to abide by the ceasefire agreement.


Israel Conducts Fresh Strike in Syria After US Criticism

Fences are seen on the ceasefire line between Israel and Syria in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, March 25, 2019. (Reuters)
Fences are seen on the ceasefire line between Israel and Syria in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, March 25, 2019. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Conducts Fresh Strike in Syria After US Criticism

Fences are seen on the ceasefire line between Israel and Syria in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, March 25, 2019. (Reuters)
Fences are seen on the ceasefire line between Israel and Syria in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, March 25, 2019. (Reuters)

Israel carried out a fresh strike in Syria on Saturday and lambasted US envoy Tom Barrack for criticizing an earlier attack on an air base in the northwest, which Israel has accused Türkiye of seeking to use. 

Barrack on Tuesday slammed Israel's attack on the disused military air base that day as an "unnecessary escalation that does not advance regional stability". 

On Friday, in an interview with influencer Mario Nawfal, Barrack said the strike may have been intended to provoke a conflict with Türkiye, prompting Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz to hit back on Saturday, calling the remarks "full of inaccuracies". 

Since the December 2024 overthrow of longtime ruler Bashar al-Assad, Israel has carried out hundreds of strikes in Syria and has sent troops into a UN-patrolled buffer zone that for decades had separated Israeli and Syrian forces in the Golan Heights. 

Katz wrote on X on Saturday that Israel had passed on "intelligence information to the authorized parties in the United States" before the strike on Tuesday. 

He added that Barrack's comments were "full of inaccuracies and positions that contradict the stance of US President (Donald) Trump himself regarding the Golan Heights", after Barrack called the territory "occupied". 

Israel captured most of the Golan Heights from Syria in the 1967 Arab-Israeli War and later annexed the areas under its control, in a move only recognized by the United States and, this month, also Colombia. 

- 'Flagrant violation' - 

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, commenting on the Tuesday strike, said Türkiye, an ally of the new authorities in Damascus, had been looking to establish a military presence on the air base. 

Ankara has denied any visit to the site. 

Netanyahu and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan have traded barbs since the incident, and Ankara announced it was seeking an Interpol red notice for Netanyahu, accusing him of "genocide" linked to the interception of a Gaza-bound aid flotilla. 

Netanyahu's office called Erdogan an "antisemitic dictator" while Erdogan's office called the remarks "outrageous ravings" and accused Netanyahu's government of "seeking to evade accountability". 

Also on Saturday, Syrian state television said a man was wounded when an "Israeli occupation drone" targeted a vehicle in the village of Beit Jinn, located southwest of Damascus near the Israeli-annexed Golan Heights, with the foreign ministry calling it a "flagrant violation" of its sovereignty. 

Israel's military acknowledged the strike, saying that its forces "fired in southern Syria toward a terrorist who advanced terror attacks in the final stages of preparation", without identifying the target. 

Israel has carried out repeated incursions into Syrian territory and has vowed to keep troops in a so-called "security zone" in southern Syria, where it seeks a broader demilitarized area. 

This week Israeli army chief Lieutenant General Eyal Zamir told troops in southern Syria that "we are monitoring the changes on the Syrian front. We will not allow hostile forces to establish themselves on our borders."