WFP Official Assassinated in Southern Taiz, Presidential Council Vows to Pursue Perpetrators

The head of the Presidential Leadership Council, Rashad al-Alimi (Saba)
The head of the Presidential Leadership Council, Rashad al-Alimi (Saba)
TT

WFP Official Assassinated in Southern Taiz, Presidential Council Vows to Pursue Perpetrators

The head of the Presidential Leadership Council, Rashad al-Alimi (Saba)
The head of the Presidential Leadership Council, Rashad al-Alimi (Saba)

A UN World Food Programme (WFP) staff member was shot and killed by unknown gunmen in southwest Yemen on Friday afternoon in Turbah, Taiz.

Moayad Hameidi was killed and died shortly after being transferred to the hospital.

Al-Qaeda terrorists still have five UN employees kidnapped since the beginning of last year, while the Houthi militia is detaining two others.

Two medical sources at Khalifa Hospital in Turbah told Asharq Al-Awsat that Hameidi, a Jordanian national, died after being shot in the head and neck when he finished eating lunch in a restaurant in the city.

In a message to Asharq Al-Awsat, a spokeswoman for the WFP said the organization was "deeply saddened to confirm that a staff member was shot and killed by unknown gunmen."

Talal, a resident in Taiz, told Asharq Al-Awsat that a gunman riding a motorcycle shot Hameidi when he was leaving the famous al-Shaibani restaurant in al-Turbah, where offices of many relief organizations are located.

An official in the governorate leadership told Asharq Al-Awsat that they launched an extensive security campaign to enhance security in al-Turbah and pursue and arrest those involved in the crime.

A local official described the crime as a systematic targeting of the governorate after the international organizations returned to it, opened their headquarters, and changed the image that was formed after the assassination of the coordinator of the International Committee of the Red Cross several years ago.

- Relief concerns

Relief workers fear that the incident will lead to the closure of the WFP offices, which will affect the aid that tens of thousands of Yemenis need.

Bassam, a worker in a relief organization in Taiz, told Asharq Al-Awsat that the UN is facing a considerable deficit in financing the humanitarian response plan.

In cooperation with the government, the organization overcame many obstacles this year and moved towards expanding its activities in the Taiz governorate.

- Presidential Council vows

The head of the Presidential Leadership Council, Rashad al-Alimi, announced the elements involved in carrying out the armed attack that resulted in the death of the UN employee, according to Saba news agency.

The agency said that Alimi made a phone call to Taiz governor Nabil Shamsan who informed him of the preliminary information that indicated the identification of the perpetrator of the criminal attack.

He announced that legal measures had been taken to bring the attacker to trial.

Alimi expressed his sincere condolences to the family of the UN employee and his colleagues.

He reiterated the state's commitment to ensuring all procedures for enforcing justice, securing the staff of relief agencies in the liberated governorates, and facilitating the access of their venerable humanitarian interventions to all those who deserve it across the country.

- Emergency meeting

Earlier, the Security Committee in Taiz Governorate, headed by Shamsan, held an emergency meeting to follow up on the incident's repercussions and confirmed it was tracking down the perpetrators.



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.