WFP Official Assassinated in Southern Taiz, Presidential Council Vows to Pursue Perpetrators

The head of the Presidential Leadership Council, Rashad al-Alimi (Saba)
The head of the Presidential Leadership Council, Rashad al-Alimi (Saba)
TT

WFP Official Assassinated in Southern Taiz, Presidential Council Vows to Pursue Perpetrators

The head of the Presidential Leadership Council, Rashad al-Alimi (Saba)
The head of the Presidential Leadership Council, Rashad al-Alimi (Saba)

A UN World Food Programme (WFP) staff member was shot and killed by unknown gunmen in southwest Yemen on Friday afternoon in Turbah, Taiz.

Moayad Hameidi was killed and died shortly after being transferred to the hospital.

Al-Qaeda terrorists still have five UN employees kidnapped since the beginning of last year, while the Houthi militia is detaining two others.

Two medical sources at Khalifa Hospital in Turbah told Asharq Al-Awsat that Hameidi, a Jordanian national, died after being shot in the head and neck when he finished eating lunch in a restaurant in the city.

In a message to Asharq Al-Awsat, a spokeswoman for the WFP said the organization was "deeply saddened to confirm that a staff member was shot and killed by unknown gunmen."

Talal, a resident in Taiz, told Asharq Al-Awsat that a gunman riding a motorcycle shot Hameidi when he was leaving the famous al-Shaibani restaurant in al-Turbah, where offices of many relief organizations are located.

An official in the governorate leadership told Asharq Al-Awsat that they launched an extensive security campaign to enhance security in al-Turbah and pursue and arrest those involved in the crime.

A local official described the crime as a systematic targeting of the governorate after the international organizations returned to it, opened their headquarters, and changed the image that was formed after the assassination of the coordinator of the International Committee of the Red Cross several years ago.

- Relief concerns

Relief workers fear that the incident will lead to the closure of the WFP offices, which will affect the aid that tens of thousands of Yemenis need.

Bassam, a worker in a relief organization in Taiz, told Asharq Al-Awsat that the UN is facing a considerable deficit in financing the humanitarian response plan.

In cooperation with the government, the organization overcame many obstacles this year and moved towards expanding its activities in the Taiz governorate.

- Presidential Council vows

The head of the Presidential Leadership Council, Rashad al-Alimi, announced the elements involved in carrying out the armed attack that resulted in the death of the UN employee, according to Saba news agency.

The agency said that Alimi made a phone call to Taiz governor Nabil Shamsan who informed him of the preliminary information that indicated the identification of the perpetrator of the criminal attack.

He announced that legal measures had been taken to bring the attacker to trial.

Alimi expressed his sincere condolences to the family of the UN employee and his colleagues.

He reiterated the state's commitment to ensuring all procedures for enforcing justice, securing the staff of relief agencies in the liberated governorates, and facilitating the access of their venerable humanitarian interventions to all those who deserve it across the country.

- Emergency meeting

Earlier, the Security Committee in Taiz Governorate, headed by Shamsan, held an emergency meeting to follow up on the incident's repercussions and confirmed it was tracking down the perpetrators.



Lebanon Says One Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
TT

Lebanon Says One Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)

An Israeli strike on Lebanon's largest Palestinian refugee camp killed one person on Friday, state media reported, with the Israeli army saying it had targeted the Palestinian group Hamas.

The official National News Agency said "an Israeli drone" targeted a neighborhood of the Ain al-Hilweh camp, which is located on the outskirts of the southern city of Sidon.

It reported that one person was killed and an unspecified number wounded.

An AFP correspondent saw smoke rising from a building in the densely populated camp as ambulances headed to the scene.

The Israeli army said in a statement that its forces "struck a Hamas command center from which terrorists operated".

Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to halt more than a year of hostilities with Hezbollah.

Israel has also struck targets belonging to Hezbollah's Palestinian ally Hamas, including in a raid on Ain al-Hilweh last November that killed 13 people.

The UN rights office had said 11 children were killed in that strike, which Israel said targeted a Hamas training compound, though the group denied it had military installations in Palestinian camps in Lebanon.

In October 2023, Hezbollah began launching rockets at Israel in support of Hamas at the outset of the Gaza war, triggering months of exchanges that culminated in two months of all-out war in Lebanon.

On Sunday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country's east killed four people, as Israel said it targeted operatives from Palestinian group Islamic Jihad.


UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.