Tensions over Refugee Crisis Boil over into Clash between Lebanese, Syrians

In this photo released on Aug. 9, 2023, by the Lebanese Army official website, the Lebanese Army lines up a group of Syrians accused of illegally crossing into Lebanon from Syria by way of smugglers in the town of Shadra, northern Lebanon's Akkar province. (Lebanese Army Website via AP)
In this photo released on Aug. 9, 2023, by the Lebanese Army official website, the Lebanese Army lines up a group of Syrians accused of illegally crossing into Lebanon from Syria by way of smugglers in the town of Shadra, northern Lebanon's Akkar province. (Lebanese Army Website via AP)
TT

Tensions over Refugee Crisis Boil over into Clash between Lebanese, Syrians

In this photo released on Aug. 9, 2023, by the Lebanese Army official website, the Lebanese Army lines up a group of Syrians accused of illegally crossing into Lebanon from Syria by way of smugglers in the town of Shadra, northern Lebanon's Akkar province. (Lebanese Army Website via AP)
In this photo released on Aug. 9, 2023, by the Lebanese Army official website, the Lebanese Army lines up a group of Syrians accused of illegally crossing into Lebanon from Syria by way of smugglers in the town of Shadra, northern Lebanon's Akkar province. (Lebanese Army Website via AP)

The tensions over the Syrian refugee crisis in Lebanon boiled over on Thursday into a clash between Lebanese and Syrians in the Mount Lebanon and northern regions.

Security forces and the army were quick to contain the clashes to prevent the tensions from taking violent turns in the future.

Syrians have come under increasing criticism in Lebanon in wake of the new flow of refugees who are escaping the economic crisis in their homeland. Lebanon itself is languishing under its own unprecedented economic crisis that many believe is being compounded by the refugees.

Moreover, the growing number of refugees has sparked warnings by Lebanese politicians that they pose an “existential threat” to Lebanon.

The government has since taken action. On Thursday, it shut over a hundred illegal businesses run by Syrians in the eastern Bekaa region.

The Lebanese believe that the Syrians are competition against them in the job market and are a burden on state services that are already lacking since the crisis erupted four years ago. Lebanon is hosting over 2 million Syrians, including 1.5 refugees, say authorities.

On Thursday, the tensions developed into clashes between the Lebanese and Syrians.

In the Dora area in Mount Lebanon – home to 2,000 Syrian refugees and workers – a dispute broke out near the Mar Maroun church. Soon after, announcements were made on loudspeakers for the local residents to gather and demand the ouster of the refugees and Syrian workers to leave the area.

Sources from the region told Asharq Al-Awsat that the tensions in the area had been simmering since Wednesday in wake of a traffic accident between a Syrian youth and Lebanese woman.

A Lebanese man had intervened to resolve the dispute, prompting the Syrian to verbally attack him. He then called on his fellow Syrian workers in the area to the scene.

Soon after, Lebanese residents of the area gathered around a tailor factory where the Syrians work, forcing the workers to remain in their homes. An army patrol soon made the Syrians leave the building.

The sources said the tensions still persist, with the Lebanese refusing to allow the Syrians to remain in the area. There are no guarantees that such an incident will not happen again even though the army was quick to intervene and contain the situation.

In the North, media reports spoke of a dispute that had erupted in the Beddawi Palestinian refugee camp between a group of Syrian youths and another comprised of Lebanese and Palestinians over insults that were traded between them. The attacks soon turned violent, leaving two people wounded.

Security fears

The army and security forces’ quick action to contain clashes does not appear to be stopping the unrest from happening.

Security sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that the fears will remain since the roots of the problem are still there.

The sheer number of Syrians makes it inevitable that they will interact with the Lebanese and cause more problems, noting that some of the Syrians already have criminal records, which only deepen the tensions.

From the Lebanese perspective, they feel that the Syrians are competing against them for job opportunities, and they are benefiting from state services without paying any taxes.

Incitement

The Progressive Socialist Party’s (PSP) Democratic Gathering parliamentary bloc said: “Due to official negligence, populist stances and discrimination, the Syrian refugee crisis has turned into a dangerous reality.”

It called for an end to “all acts of incitement to avoid their repercussions on internal security” and an end to the “odd political exploitation of the situation” by some parties who proposed the “export of the refugees.”

In a statement, the bloc urged the government to convene “immediately” and “adopt and implement a clear policy through carrying out a comprehensive survey of Syrians in Lebanon, making the distinction between workers and refugees.”

It must determine the means of cooperation with relevant international agencies and grant the army and security forces the necessary support to carry out their duties in this regard.

“Back in 2011, the Democratic Gathering and PSP were the first to call on the state to deal with the refugees in a systematic manner and set up camps so that any repercussions would be contained in those camps alone,” it continued.

“The populists themselves, however, rejected the proposal because they believed that the camps would pave the way for the naturalization of the refugees. Now they are using the same excuse.”

“The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees must carry out its duties in full towards in the Syrian refugees and provide the necessary funding to support them equally with the Lebanese host,” it demanded.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.