Advisor to RSF Leader Denies Plans for New Government in Darfur

 A screenshot from a video of the Rapid Support Forces in Darfur (X)
A screenshot from a video of the Rapid Support Forces in Darfur (X)
TT
20

Advisor to RSF Leader Denies Plans for New Government in Darfur

 A screenshot from a video of the Rapid Support Forces in Darfur (X)
A screenshot from a video of the Rapid Support Forces in Darfur (X)

Haroun Medikhar, advisor to the leader of Sudan’s Rapid Support Forces (RSF), denied on Monday any intention of establishing a parallel government in Darfur after the RSF gained control of several strategic areas in the region.

“We do not declare a government; the government is declared by the people,” Medikhar told Arab World Press (AWP).

“It is the people who are now organizing themselves and forming their popular government to manage their local affairs until there is peace in the country,” he explained.

“Our vision is for people to manage their local affairs through popular administration until life returns to normal,” added Medikhar, emphasizing that security will be stable in the areas controlled by the RSF.

Over the past two weeks, the RSF seized control of the cities of Nyala, the capital of South Darfur state, and Zalingei, the capital of Central Darfur state.

They have also taken control of one of the military headquarters in El Geneina, the capital of West Darfur state.

“The war is ongoing from both sides, not just by the RSF alone,” said Medikhar in response to a question about the reasons behind the continued RSF targeting of locations and attempts to expand control on the ground, despite ongoing negotiations with the Sudanese army in the Saudi city of Jeddah.

Medikhar expressed his belief that there are entities with influence over the army’s decisions “who are not interested in negotiations.”

The RSF have perceived a lack of seriousness from the army delegation, explained Medikhar.

“Islamists are in control of decisions within the Sudanese armed forces,” he said.

Medikhar reiterated that the RSF strongly desires reaching a ceasefire, emphasizing that their delegation has not left Jeddah, where negotiations with the army are taking place.

It is noteworthy that negotiations between the RSF and the Sudanese army have resumed with the sponsorship of Saudi Arabia and the US after a months-long hiatus.

 

 



Beirut Airport Security Moves to Curb Hezbollah’s Influence

A plane takes off from Beirut airport on October 7, 2024 (Reuters).
A plane takes off from Beirut airport on October 7, 2024 (Reuters).
TT
20

Beirut Airport Security Moves to Curb Hezbollah’s Influence

A plane takes off from Beirut airport on October 7, 2024 (Reuters).
A plane takes off from Beirut airport on October 7, 2024 (Reuters).

Lebanese authorities have begun curbing Hezbollah’s influence at Beirut’s Rafik Hariri International Airport by revoking the security clearances of numerous airport workers affiliated with the group.

The airport security apparatus has refused to renew these permits, significantly limiting Hezbollah’s reach within the facility.

According to an informed airport source, over 30 employees have been notified that their security clearances have expired and will not be renewed. Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, the source explained that the decision affected not only baggage handlers assisting passengers but also those loading and unloading aircraft, as well as personnel in baggage inspection and lost-and-found departments.

“The decision came as a shock to those affected, especially since many had worked at the airport for years with unrestricted movement,” the source said.

This move aims to enhance airport security and reduce Hezbollah’s influence to the lowest possible level. The source described the dismissed employees as “the party’s eyes and ears inside the airport, providing a constant flow of intelligence on the movement of travelers.”

The source also revealed that Hezbollah had previously exerted pressure to secure employment and access permits for its loyalists, ensuring that only individuals approved by the group could receive such authorizations.

“This is how Hezbollah expanded its control over the airport for decades,” the source added.

The crackdown follows Lebanon’s recent ban on Iranian civilian aircraft landing at Rafik Hariri International Airport, alongside stricter baggage inspections for passengers arriving from Iraq or those transiting through a third country from Iran. These measures were introduced after authorities discovered undeclared cash, suspected to be Iranian funds intended for Hezbollah.

The restrictions sparked protests from Hezbollah supporters, who staged week-long demonstrations in February, blocking airport access roads and causing disruptions to flight schedules.

The effort to limit Hezbollah’s reach extends beyond civilian workers. A senior security official told Asharq Al-Awsat that the purge will also affect security personnel within airport divisions, including customs officers, Internal Security Forces (ISF) personnel, and General Security officers.

“Many individuals are suspected of facilitating Hezbollah’s activities, whether out of political loyalty or financial incentives,” the official said.

The official described the ongoing changes as a “major security shake-up” aimed at replacing those under suspicion. The restructuring depends on internal reshuffles within Lebanon’s security agencies.

“The newly appointed security chiefs now have a clear picture of the situation. Upcoming personnel rotations will certainly include units operating at the airport,” the official confirmed.