Jordanian Military, Security Observers Expect Gaza Conflict to 'Inevitability' Expand

Jordan Foreign Minister Ayman al-Safadi at the 19th IISS Manama Dialogue (Reuters)
Jordan Foreign Minister Ayman al-Safadi at the 19th IISS Manama Dialogue (Reuters)
TT

Jordanian Military, Security Observers Expect Gaza Conflict to 'Inevitability' Expand

Jordan Foreign Minister Ayman al-Safadi at the 19th IISS Manama Dialogue (Reuters)
Jordan Foreign Minister Ayman al-Safadi at the 19th IISS Manama Dialogue (Reuters)

Jordan Foreign Minister Ayman al-Safadi asserted that Arab forces will not be deployed in Gaza after the end of the war.

Several reports discussed proposals regarding the fate of Gaza after the Israeli aggression, including the deployment of Arab forces to establish stability and the Palestinian Authority (PA) managing the Strip.

However, the Foreign Minister said during the 19th IISS Manama Dialogue that after discussing this issue with "almost all our brethren, there'll be no Arab troops going to Gaza. None. We're not going to be seen as the enemy."

"How could anybody talk about the future of Gaza when we do not know what kind of Gaza will be left once this aggression ends?"

The White House's National Security Council coordinator for the Middle East, Brett McGurk, and EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell attended the security summit.

An informed political source in Amman told Asharq Al-Awsat that Jordan sends pre-emptive stances to test the future of Gaza, according to Israeli plans to impose a new administration after eliminating Hamas.

He said such positions portray Jordan's rejection of the Israeli scenarios about reoccupying parts of the Strip, displacing all residents of northern Gaza, and rejecting any proposals related to the deployment of Arab forces in Gaza after the end of the war.

Jordan fears the expansion of the humanitarian catastrophe and siege in the Strip. Military and security observers believe it would inevitably lead to an increase in the conflict and a deterioration of the security situation in the West Bank.

In light of mounting popular pressure and anticipation of the parliamentary review of the agreements between Amman and Tel Aviv, Safadi announced on Thursday the cessation of talks on the energy-for-water deal with Israel.

During a televised interview, the Minister said Jordan won't sign a deal to provide energy to Israel in water exchange, which was planned to be ratified last month.

"We [Jordan] signed the peace agreement in 1994 as part of a wider Arab effort to establish a two-state solution. That has not been achieved. Instead, Israel has not upheld its part of the agreement. So the peace deal will have to remain on the back burner, gathering dust for now," he said.

Jordanian political observers informed Asharq Al-Awsat of their estimates that Israel plans to impose a policy of displacing Gazans through the expansion of force and the continued targeting of civilians in preparation for the occupation of parts of the enclave.

The Israeli plan aims to prevent Benjamin Netanyahu's government from confronting the public after stopping the war on Gaza.

Meanwhile, the Foreign Ministry in Amman is witnessing several meetings with Western officials to address the escalatory Jordanian positions, especially after talking about "putting all possibilities" in confronting the Israeli aggression on Gaza and undermining opportunities for resuming peace efforts in the region.

Western officials are concerned about freezing the peace agreement Jordan concluded with Israel in 1994.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.