RSF Commander Affirms Commitment to IGAD Decisions for Sudan Peace

The Rapid Support Forces (RSF) commander, Mohammed Hamdan "Hemedti" Dagalo and President Yoweri Museveni (Hemedti X account)
The Rapid Support Forces (RSF) commander, Mohammed Hamdan "Hemedti" Dagalo and President Yoweri Museveni (Hemedti X account)
TT

RSF Commander Affirms Commitment to IGAD Decisions for Sudan Peace

The Rapid Support Forces (RSF) commander, Mohammed Hamdan "Hemedti" Dagalo and President Yoweri Museveni (Hemedti X account)
The Rapid Support Forces (RSF) commander, Mohammed Hamdan "Hemedti" Dagalo and President Yoweri Museveni (Hemedti X account)

The Rapid Support Forces (RSF) commander, Mohammed Hamdan "Hemedti" Dagalo, announced his readiness to meet with Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) commander Abdel Fattah al-Burhan at any place or time determined by the Intergovernmental Authority for Development (IGAD).

Following an invitation from the IGAD presidency, the RSF prepared for a meeting between the two officials without specifying the place and time.

Conflicting reports discussed the upcoming meeting, with some saying it would be held on Thursday in Djibouti or Entebbe, Uganda, while others suggested it would be postponed or even potentially canceled.

On Wednesday, the RSF spokesman, Al-Fatih Qureshi, confirmed to Asharq Al-Awsat that arrangements were underway, with IGAD's primary concern being peace in the Horn of Africa.

- Hemedti in Uganda

Hemedti arrived in Uganda and held talks with President Yoweri Museveni. The latter shared images of their meeting on his X account, saying he was thoroughly briefed on the situation in Sudan.

During their discussion, Hemedti provided a comprehensive account of the origins of the ongoing conflict in Sudan, attributing it to remnants of the former regime, who received support from certain elements within the armed forces.

He also outlined his vision for negotiation, war cessation, and establishing a just Sudanese state.

President Museveni expressed his unwavering support for the Sudanese people and pledged to bolster efforts to achieve peace and stability within Sudan.

Museveni asserted to Hemedti that he would harness all his capabilities and relationships to help the Sudanese overcome this challenging period.

Hemedti emphasized his commitment to the resolutions arising from the recent IGAD Presidents' Summit held in Djibouti.

- RSF conditions to meet Burhan

Qureshi confirmed to Asharq Al-Awsat that the RSF Commander was ready to meet with the Army Commander at any place or time determined by IGAD, but he stipulated that Burhan must come to the meeting in his capacity as Commander of the Sudanese Army and not in any other role.

Qureshi reiterated the RSF's dedication to the outcomes of the IGAD summit on Sudan, held in Djibouti earlier this month.

Hemedti will only meet Burhan as commander of the Sudanese army, and the meeting will be held without preconditions, said the spokesman, adding that Burhan also agreed to the meeting without any preconditions.

- Foreign Ministry confirms the postponement

For its part, the Foreign Ministry said the meeting between Burhan and Hemedti was postponed till January after the latter could not reach Djibouti on time, citing "technical reasons."

The ministry said in a statement that it was informed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of Djibouti, the current chair country of the Inter-Governmental Authority on Development (IGAD), that Dagalo was unable to attend the meeting scheduled for Thursday due to technical reasons.

There would be coordination again to hold the meeting next January, added the statement.

It noted that Burhan, out of his keenness to end the suffering of the Sudanese people caused by the "rebel militia," was prepared to leave Wednesday evening for the IGAD-proposed meeting.

The ministry further expressed regret over "the RSF's procrastination and its unwillingness to stop the destruction of Sudan and harming the people."



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.