Dozens Killed, Injured in Attack Targeting Iran's Allies in Syria

An Israeli attack in Syria (Syrian Observatory for Human Rights)
An Israeli attack in Syria (Syrian Observatory for Human Rights)
TT

Dozens Killed, Injured in Attack Targeting Iran's Allies in Syria

An Israeli attack in Syria (Syrian Observatory for Human Rights)
An Israeli attack in Syria (Syrian Observatory for Human Rights)

A military training site of an armed faction active in Syria came under attack by an "unknown source," killing nine members and wounding dozens of different nationalities, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR).

The incident unfolded a few hours after a group calling itself the "Islamic Resistance in Iraq" claimed responsibility for an attack on the Harir base in Erbil, situated in Iraq's Kurdistan region.

The Harir base hosts US forces as part of the mission of the International Coalition to Combat ISIS.

The Observatory said raids, which targeted the Syrian-Iraqi border area in al-Bukamal, targeted training sites, noting that several sites were comprehensively targeted at the same time.

SOHR suggested that Israel may be behind the recent attack on al-Bukamal on the Iraqi-Syrian border.

The US forces did not claim responsibility for the operation, as in previous similar operations.

Meanwhile, Hezbollah announced the death of four of its members, as some news reports claimed they were killed along with others following a US raid on the Syrian-Iraqi border.

Various news websites reported that the four Hezbollah members were killed on the Syrian-Iraqi border as a result of air strikes presumably conducted by unidentified aircraft, suspected to be of US origin.

Two members of an Iraqi faction told the Associated Press that three air strikes on eastern Syria, near a strategic border crossing with Iraq, resulted in the deaths of six Iran-backed fighters.

Furthermore, field sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that several Iraqi fighters may have been injured during the attack at a joint operational base for Iraqi and Lebanese groups.

Iraqi armed groups are active in that region, including the Hezbollah Brigades and the Harakat al-Nujaba, which have been carrying out attacks against several US bases in Iraq and Syria for months.

- Al-Harir once again

AP reported that the raids came hours after the Islamic Resistance in Iraq announced an attack on the al-Harir military facility in Erbil in northern Iraq.

The US did not comment on the attack, although it announced that similar raids were planned against sites of Iranian-backed groups after an escalation in attacks over the past two months.

Iraqi factions claimed responsibility for targeting the US "Kharab al-Jir" base in northeastern Syria.

The Islamic Resistance in Iraq said they bombed the base with a missile salvo in retaliation for Israeli military activities in the Gaza Strip since Oct. 7.

The group announced last Thursday that it had bombed "two Israeli targets inside Iraqi and Syrian territory in two separate operations."

Since the escalation of militia attacks in Iraq, US forces resorted to quick response by targeting sites related to planning or implementing the attacks to deter these groups.

Sources believe the US administration no longer links this issue with the Iraqi government due to the political complications that the Prime Minister faces with the ruling coalition that includes a range of political forces linked to Iran.

According to information obtained by Asharq Al-Awsat from US diplomats and Iraqi officials last month, the US forces will move to "direct and rapid response" to the factions' attacks after neglecting the "political considerations" it had placed on the government of Prime Minister Mohammad Shia al-Sudani aiming to "maintain stability."

- Israeli attack

The Syrian Ministry of Defense announced on Saturday that Israel targeted several points in south Aleppo.

The statement stated that Israel carried out "an aerial aggression from the direction of the Mediterranean towards the west of Latakia, targeting several points south of the city of Aleppo."

It quoted a military source as saying the Israeli attack resulted in some material losses, but the Observatory reported that the bombing of the Aleppo International Airport area killed one person and injured seven others.

SOHR said the Israeli missiles targeted farms between the villages of al-Dhahabia and Sheikh Saeed in the al-Nairab Military Airport area, which contains warehouses and headquarters for Iranian militias.

A missile also fell in the area of Aleppo International Airport and al-Nairab Military Airport without causing damage to the airport. Six explosions sounded in the area.

Two members of a group affiliated with the "Front for the Liberation of the Golan," working with the Lebanese Hezbollah, were killed in an Israeli ground bombardment on Friday, targeting the Qurs al-Nafal Hill Company in the Quneitra countryside.

It came in response to the firing of two missiles toward the occupied Syrian Golan from inside Syrian territory.

The Observatory indicated that the Front launched two missiles from Syrian territory towards the occupied Golan, coinciding with a significant alert by regime forces and militias adjacent to the occupied Golan in the countryside of Daraa and Quneitra.

Israel responded by bombing sites in Syria, targeting Qars al-Nafal hill and the vicinity of Hadar in the Quneitra countryside.

"Following the report regarding sirens sounding in northern Israel, a short while ago two launches that were identified crossing from Syria fell in an open area," the army said, according to Agence France Presse.

The Israeli army confirmed to AFP that the projectiles were rockets but did not say exactly where they fell.

Israel occupied parts of the Golan in the June 1967 war and announced its annexation to its territory in 1981, in a move unrecognized by the UN.

On Thursday, Israeli bombing targeted areas in Damascus and southern Syria, according to the Syrian Ministry of Defense and official media.

Israel rarely comments on individual strikes targeting Syria, but it has repeatedly said it will not allow archenemy Iran, which backs President Bashar al-Assad's government, to expand its presence there.

Israel launched hundreds of airstrikes on its northern neighbor since Syria's civil war began in 2011, primarily targeting Iran-backed forces, including Hezbollah fighters as well as Syrian army positions.

Israel intensified its attacks since the start of the war between it and Hamas in Oct. 7 in light of escalating tensions in the Middle East.



How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)

As Hamas moves to strike armed gangs operating in areas of the Gaza Strip under Israeli army control, the groups are responding with defiance, stepping up efforts to recruit young men and expand their ranks.

Videos posted on social media show training exercises and other activities, signaling that the gangs remain active despite pressure from Hamas security services.

Platforms affiliated with Hamas security say some members have recently turned themselves in following mediation by families, clans and community leaders. The gangs have not responded to those statements. Instead, they occasionally broadcast footage announcing new recruits.

Among the most prominent was Hamza Mahra, a Hamas activist who appeared weeks ago in a video released by the Shawqi Abu Nasira gang, which operates north of Khan Younis and east of Deir al-Balah.

Mahra’s appearance has raised questions about how these groups recruit members inside the enclave.

Field sources and others within the security apparatus of a Palestinian armed faction in Gaza told Asharq Al-Awsat that Mahra’s case may be an exception. They described him as a Hamas activist with no major role, despite his grandfather being among the founders of Hamas in Jabalia.

His decision to join the gang was driven by personal reasons linked to a family dispute, they said, not by organizational considerations.

The sources said the gangs exploit severe economic hardship, luring some young men with money, cigarettes and other incentives. Some recruits were heavily indebted and fled to gang-controlled areas to avoid repaying creditors.

Others joined in search of narcotic pills, the sources said, noting that some had previously been detained by Hamas-run security forces on similar charges. Economic hardship and the need for cigarettes and drugs were among the main drivers of recruitment, they added, saying the gangs, with Israeli backing, provide such supplies.

Resentment toward Hamas has also played a role, particularly among those previously arrested on criminal or security grounds and subjected to what the sources described as limited torture during interrogations under established procedures.

According to the sources, some founders or current leaders of the gangs previously served in the Palestinian Authority security services.

They cited Shawqi Abu Nasira, a senior police officer; Hussam al-Astal, an officer in the Preventive Security Service; and Rami Helles and Ashraf al-Mansi, both former officers in the Palestinian Presidential Guard.

These figures, the sources said, approach young men in need and at times succeed in recruiting them by promising help in settling debts and providing cigarettes. They also tell recruits that joining will secure them a future role in security forces that would later govern Gaza.

The sources described the case of a young man who surrendered to Gaza security services last week. He said he had been pressured after a phone call with a woman who threatened to publish the recording unless he joined one of the gangs.

He later received assurances from another contact that he would help repay some of his debts and ultimately agreed to enlist.

During questioning, he said the leader of the gang he joined east of Gaza City repeatedly assured recruits they would be “part of the structure of any Palestinian security force that will rule the sector.”

The young man told investigators he was unconvinced by those assurances, as were dozens of others in the same group.

Investigations of several individuals who surrendered, along with field data, indicate the gangs have carried out armed missions on behalf of the Israeli army, including locating tunnels. That has led to ambushes by Palestinian factions.

In the past week, clashes in the Zaytoun neighborhood south of Gaza City and near al-Masdar east of Deir al-Balah left gang members dead and wounded.

Some investigations also found that the gangs recruited young men previously involved in looting humanitarian aid.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.