Lebanon's Hariri Tribunal Officially Closes, Leaving 3 Cases Unresolved

The Special Tribunal for Lebanon officially closed on Sunday. (STL)
The Special Tribunal for Lebanon officially closed on Sunday. (STL)
TT

Lebanon's Hariri Tribunal Officially Closes, Leaving 3 Cases Unresolved

The Special Tribunal for Lebanon officially closed on Sunday. (STL)
The Special Tribunal for Lebanon officially closed on Sunday. (STL)

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has closed an international tribunal that was created to investigate the 2005 assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri, the UN chief's spokesperson said Sunday.

Over the years, the Special Tribunal for Lebanon held in absentia proceedings and found three members of the Hezbollah party guilty in connection with Hariri's death in a massive Feb. 14, 2005 truck bombing.

The tribunal based in The Hague, Netherlands, sentenced the three — Salim Jamil Ayyash, Hassan Habib Merhi and Hussein Hassan Oneissi - to five concurrent sentences of life imprisonment.

Judges said evidence linked phones to the alleged mastermind of the bombing, Hezbollah commander Mustafa Badreddine, who was indicted by the court but is believed to have been killed in the Damascus area in May 2016.

The STL, however, leaves behind three unresolved cases: The assassination of former Secretary General of the Lebanese Communist Party George Hawi and the attempted assassinations for former minister Elias al-Murr and current MP Marwan Hamadeh.

At the beginning of 2023, Guterres extended the panel's mandate until Dec. 31 “for the limited purpose of completion of the non-judicial residual functions” and “for the orderly closure of the Special Tribunal.” The secretary-general noted Sunday that those tasks had been accomplished and the tribunal shut down, Guterres said.

Guterres had tasked Mohammed Ali al-Lajmeh, aide to the former STL prosecutor, to manage a team tasked with organizing the archive of the tribunal at the UN headquarters in New York.

Al-Lajmeh told Asharq Al-Awsat that the process of transferring the files was completed successfully. The team has completed its duties in full.

He added, however, that the cases for which the STL was formed will be closed. Should Lebanon arrest anyone convicted by the tribunal, the case will be reopened at the UN and its concerned agencies after holding consultations with the relevant Lebanese authorities.

Riachi

Judge Ralph Riachi, former Vice-President of the Tribunal, told Asharq Al-Awsat that the STL had “accomplished much in serving justice and the case for which it was established.”

He lamented the closure of the STL, but noted that it completed the most important aspect of its work and that is the designation of the crime and “pointing to” the culprits.

The arrest of the convicts is not part of its jurisdiction, he clarified.

He noted the criticism against the STL for failing to name the main culprit in Hariri’s assassination. “This tribunal and no other international courts have the jurisdiction to name sides and organizations. It did, however, flatly name the party to which the suspects belong to in its appeal decision.”

Riachi stressed that it was now up to the Lebanese state and all its agencies to complete the work started by the STL. It must reclaim millions of pieces of evidence and files and fulfill its duties towards the people affected by these crimes.

Failure to do so will “harm the principle of justice,” he warned.

Hamadeh

Hamadeh revealed to Asharq Al-Awsat that he had sent Guterres a message months ago, hoping for the STL archive to be preserved at the UN General Secretariat or a dedicated institution “so that it wouldn’t fall into hostile hands that would exploit it to justify the crimes that have happened.”

“We have taken steps to preserve the confidentiality of the probe. There are millions of documents that must remain confidential,” he stated.

Moreover, he revealed that “very prominent” people were named in the indictment, but they haven’t been revealed yet because it is “forbidden”. They must be identified one day in history, he added.

Furthermore, the MP refused to have his case return to Lebanon. “I prefer to see my case remain in the UN drawers rather than see it killed and buried in Lebanon,” he said.

Hamadeh still holds a “small hope that the case may be one day revived, and the culprits brought to justice.”

Verdicts

Hezbollah officials have repeatedly denied that members of the group were involved in the suicide attack that killed Hariri and refused to deal with the tribunal. The bombing killed Hariri and 21 others, and wounded 226.

The trial judges had said there was no evidence Hezbollah’s leadership or Syria were involved in the attack but noted the assassination happened as Hariri and his political allies were discussing whether to call for Syria to withdraw its forces from Lebanon.

UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said in a statement Sunday that the Special Tribunal was established to try those responsible for the attack following the adoption of a 2007 Security Council resolution. The tribunal's jurisdiction also extended to other attacks that were judicially determined to be “connected” to Hariri's assassination.

“The secretary-general expresses his deep appreciation for the dedication and hard work of the judges and staff at the Special Tribunal throughout the years,” Dujarric said.

He added that Guterres also appreciated the support provided by the Lebanese government, the government of the Netherlands as the host state, and member states that participated in the tribunal's management committee.

The trial centered on the alleged roles of four Hezbollah members in the suicide truck bombing that killed Hariri. Prosecutors based their case largely on data from mobile phones allegedly used by the plotters to plan and execute the bombing.

The four men, who were charged with offences including conspiracy to commit a terrorist act, were tried in absentia.

The judges said they were "satisfied beyond reasonable doubt" that main suspect Ayyash was most likely the user of mobile phones used to scope out Hariri ahead of the attack, the key argument of the prosecution case.

They were also satisfied that the 56-year-old Ayyash "had associations with Hezbollah".

During the trial, which spanned 415 days of hearings, the tribunal heard evidence from 297 witnesses.



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.