Likud MK: Majority of Israelis Want to 'Destroy' Gazans

Palestinians inspect a damaged house after an Israeli raid on the home of the Al-Nahhal family in the city of Rafah, south of Gaza (dpa)
Palestinians inspect a damaged house after an Israeli raid on the home of the Al-Nahhal family in the city of Rafah, south of Gaza (dpa)
TT

Likud MK: Majority of Israelis Want to 'Destroy' Gazans

Palestinians inspect a damaged house after an Israeli raid on the home of the Al-Nahhal family in the city of Rafah, south of Gaza (dpa)
Palestinians inspect a damaged house after an Israeli raid on the home of the Al-Nahhal family in the city of Rafah, south of Gaza (dpa)

Israeli lawmaker Moshe Saada from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's Likud party said that recent widespread calls to "destroy" the residents of the Gaza Strip affirm that the right wing was right.

Earlier, the US denounced statements of two Israeli ministers, who called for the return of Jewish settlers to Gaza after the war and "encouraging" Palestinians to emigrate towards the Congo and other countries.

In an interview on pro-Netanyahu Channel 14, Saada said that even "in the kibbutzim they say, 'destroy them.'"

He spoke about a meeting at the prosecutor's office when officials told him that "it is clear that all the Gazans need to be destroyed."

However, after publishing criticism of the Likud MP's statements, legal scholars warned him that he was practically calling for the termination of a people, which falls under the category of "war crimes."

Saada backed down and tried to correct his statements, claiming that he only intended to "destroy Hamas."

- Right-wing support

On Wednesday, the Times of Israel quoted a senior source in the security cabinet as saying that Israel is conducting secret contacts to accept thousands of immigrants from Gaza with Congo.

"Congo will be willing to take in migrants, and we're in talks with others," the senior source in the security cabinet said.

On Tuesday, Intelligence Minister Gila Gamliel told Zman that "voluntary migration is the best and most realistic program for the day after the fighting ends."

On Tuesday, during a conference held in the Knesset to examine possibilities for postwar Gaza, Gamliel said: "At the end of the war, Hamas rule will collapse. There are no municipal authorities; the civilian population will depend entirely on humanitarian aid. There will be no work, and 60% of Gaza's agricultural land will become security buffer zones."

US State Department spokesman Matthew Miller rejected irresponsible statements on resettlement of Palestinians outside of Gaza.

He declared the US rejection of recent statements from Israeli Ministers Bezalel Smotrich and Itamar Ben-Gvir advocating for the resettlement of Palestinians outside of Gaza.

The spokesman described the rhetoric as "inflammatory and irresponsible."

"We have been told repeatedly and consistently by the Government of Israel, including by the Prime Minister, that such statements do not reflect the policy of the Israeli government. They should stop immediately."

Miller stressed that the US has been "clear, consistent, and unequivocal that Gaza is Palestinian land and will remain Palestinian land.

- Ben-Gvir challenges the US

Both Ben-Gvir and Smotrich issued a retort, brushing off the criticism.

"I admire the United States of America, but with all due respect, we are not another star in the US flag," Ben-Gvir tweeted, repeating the exact phrase he had previously used to respond to criticism from Washington.

"The United States is our best friend, but before everything else, we will do what is good for the State of Israel: The emigration of hundreds of thousands from Gaza will allow residents [of the border area] to return home and live in security and protect Israeli soldiers," the far-right minister added.

Smotrich claimed in a statement that "more than 70 percent of the Israeli public today supports" encouraging emigration as "a humanitarian solution."

A resettlement policy is necessary, he said, because "a small country like ours cannot afford a reality where four minutes away from our communities there is a hotbed of hatred and terrorism."

Israeli far-right is running a massive campaign to convince the public to support displacement.

The right-wing newspaper Makor Rishon called on the Israeli writer and historian Yoav Sorek to place the issue of the displacement of the people of Gaza at the top of their attention.

Netanyahu promised to form a working group to study the idea of encouraging voluntary migration for the people of Gaza.

Last October, Israeli media revealed a document prepared by the Ministry of Intelligence, a week after the start of the war, in which it recommended expelling the population of Gaza.

According to the document, Israel must "evacuate the Gazan population to Sinai" during the war, establish tent cities and new cities in northern Sinai for the expelled Gazans, then a buffer zone several kilometers long inside Egypt, and prevent the return of the "population to activities/residences near the border with Israel."



US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
TT

US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP

A US immigration judge has blocked the deportation of a Palestinian graduate student who helped organize protests at Columbia University against Israel's war in Gaza, according to US media reports.

Mohsen Mahdawi was arrested by immigration agents last year as he was attending an interview to become a US citizen.

Mahdawi had been involved in a wave of demonstrations that gripped several major US university campuses since Israel began a massive military campaign in the Gaza Strip.

A Palestinian born in the occupied West Bank, Mahdawi has been a legal US permanent resident since 2015 and graduated from the prestigious New York university in May. He has been free from federal custody since April.

In an order made public on Tuesday, Judge Nina Froes said that President Donald Trump's administration did not provide sufficient evidence that Mahdawi could be legally removed from the United States, multiple media outlets reported.

Froes reportedly questioned the authenticity of a copy of a document purportedly signed by Secretary of State Marco Rubio that said Mahdawi's activism "could undermine the Middle East peace process by reinforcing antisemitic sentiment," according to the New York Times.

Rubio has argued that federal law grants him the authority to summarily revoke visas and deport migrants who pose threats to US foreign policy.

The Trump administration can still appeal the decision, which marked a setback in the Republican president's efforts to crack down on pro-Palestinian campus activists.

The administration has also attempted to deport Mahmoud Khalil, another student activist who co-founded a Palestinian student group at Columbia, alongside Mahdawi.

"I am grateful to the court for honoring the rule of law and holding the line against the government's attempts to trample on due process," Mahdawi said in a statement released by his attorneys and published Tuesday by several media outlets.

"This decision is an important step towards upholding what fear tried to destroy: the right to speak for peace and justice."


Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
TT

Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)

A fire broke out in Iran's Parand near the capital city Tehran, state media reported on Wednesday, publishing videos of smoke rising over the area which is close to several military and strategic sites in the country's Tehran province, Reuters reported.

"The black smoke seen near the city of Parand is the result of a fire in the reeds around the Parand river bank... fire fighters are on site and the fire extinguishing operation is underway", state media cited the Parand fire department as saying.


Pakistan PM Sharif to Seek Clarity on Troops for Gaza in US Visit

US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
TT

Pakistan PM Sharif to Seek Clarity on Troops for Gaza in US Visit

US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo

Before Pakistan commits to sending troops to Gaza as part of the International Stabilization Force it wants assurances from the United States that it will be a peacekeeping mission rather than tasked with disarming Hamas, three sources told Reuters.

Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif is set to attend the first formal meeting of President Donald Trump's Board of Peace in Washington on Thursday, alongside delegations from at least 20 countries.

Trump, who will chair the meeting, is expected to announce a multi-billion dollar reconstruction plan for Gaza and detail plans for a UN-authorized stabilization force for the Palestinian enclave.

Three government sources said during the Washington visit Sharif wanted to better understand the goal of the ISF, what authority they were operating under and what the chain of command was before making a decision on deploying troops.

"We are ready to send troops. Let me make it clear that our troops could only be part of a peace mission in Gaza," said one of the sources, a close aide of Sharif.

"We will not be part of any other role, such as disarming Hamas. It is out of the question," he said.

Analysts say Pakistan would be an asset to the multinational force, with its experienced military that has gone to war with arch-rival India and tackled insurgencies.

"We can send initially a couple of thousand troops anytime, but we need to know what role they are going to play," the source added.

Two of the sources said it was likely Sharif, who has met Trump earlier this year in Davos and late last year at the White House, would either have an audience with him on the sidelines of the meeting or the following day at the White House.

Initially designed to cement Gaza's ceasefire, Trump sees the Board of Peace, launched in late January, taking a wider role in resolving global conflicts. Some countries have reacted cautiously, fearing it could become a rival to the United Nations.

While Pakistan has supported the establishment of the board, it has voiced concerns against the mission to demilitarize Gaza's militant group Hamas.