Harvest Lost as War Expands in Famine-threatened Sudan

A child displaced from Al-Jazira state at the entrance of a temporary shelter in Gedaref in Sudan's east. AFP
A child displaced from Al-Jazira state at the entrance of a temporary shelter in Gedaref in Sudan's east. AFP
TT

Harvest Lost as War Expands in Famine-threatened Sudan

A child displaced from Al-Jazira state at the entrance of a temporary shelter in Gedaref in Sudan's east. AFP
A child displaced from Al-Jazira state at the entrance of a temporary shelter in Gedaref in Sudan's east. AFP

Since Sudan's war spread to Al-Jazira state south of Khartoum, farmers have watched their livelihoods wither away after fighting between paramilitary forces battling the army wreaked havoc on once-bountiful lands.
"For weeks I haven't been able to reach the wheat I planted in November," Ahmed al-Amin, 43, told AFP from his farm 20 kilometers (12 miles) north of state capital Wad Madani.
After war erupted in April last year between the regular army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), Al-Jazira -- just south of Khartoum -- became a sanctuary for more than half a million people, according to the United Nations.
But the front line has been edging southwards for months, and in December the fragile peace in Al-Jazira was shattered.
The fight for Wad Madani began, and hundreds of thousands of people were forced to flee from the state.
When the army quickly retreated from the state capital, the RSF took over swathes of agricultural land, laying siege to entire villages and leaving farmers unable to tend to vital crops.
Amin says his crops need water and fertilizer that he and other farmers in the area can no longer provide.
His farm is part of the Gezira agricultural scheme, an important irrigation project that is a key source of food for the northeast African country.
Local officials had announced plans in October to plant 600,000 acres of wheat -- vital to fend off widespread hunger.
Most of its food is imported, and with a war-crippled economy and 5.8 million people displaced within the country, the specter of famine has stalked Sudan for months.
Widespread hunger
According to the UN's World Food Program (WFP), nearly 18 million people are currently facing acute hunger, with five million at "emergency levels of hunger".
Although a famine has not been officially declared, "there is no other way around what's about to happen in Sudan", according to Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) country director William Carter.
On Saturday, US agency USAID's Famine Early Warning Systems Network said "fighting in central and eastern Sudan, which is the country's most important region for crop production, is a serious threat to national food availability".
The NRC's Carter is more direct.
"Unless peace magically descends on Sudan, there is going to be famine. At this point, it's not just air strikes and urban warfare killing people," he told AFP.
The fighting has killed more than 12,190 people, according to a conservative estimate from the Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project.
There are no figures for indirect casualties, including those who have died due to the nationwide breakdown of essential services, infrastructure and hospitals -- 80 percent of which remain out of service.
All along the highway from Khartoum to Wad Madani, the RSF has set up checkpoints, seized land and besieged entire communities.
Kamel Saad, 55, saw this happen to his village, 50 kilometers (31 miles) north of Wad Madani.
He had just begun to collect his vegetable crop -- on which he had spent his life savings -- in a last-ditch effort to make it through this year's harvest season.
"My crop rotted because of the RSF deployment on the road," Saad told AFP. He now has nothing left to his name.
Rotting crops
Others were lucky enough to have gathered in their harvest before the tanks arrived. But now they have nowhere to take their produce.
At this time of year, markets across the state would usually be teeming with farmers and merchants moving their crops, feeding millions.
Now most of these markets are abandoned, looted or closed for fear of attack.
According to officials, local activists and farmers, the RSF fighters have left nearly nothing untouched in their wake.
In a statement, Gezira scheme head Omar Marzouk said "the project's cars and machinery have been looted and workers in every department are unable to reach their work".
Last month, the WFP said paramilitary fighters looted its warehouse in Al-Jazira, stealing "enough stocks to feed nearly 1.5 million severely food insecure people for one month".
By the end of December, "300 cars and farm vehicles" had been looted from the Junaid project on the east bank of the Nile, according to project head Mohamed Gad al-Rabb.
Fertilizer and pesticide warehouses stood empty, their contents looted, and water pumps came to a halt.
"Already we hadn't been paid our profits from the government for two years. Now the water pumps have stopped and our crops are at risk of rotting," farmer Khader Abbas told AFP.
Sudan was already suffering before the war, with triple-digit inflation and a third of the population needing humanitarian aid.
Now, as the fighting spreads southeast, local experts have warned that the damage to the country's agriculture sector could cripple its food security for years to come.



Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
TT

Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights

Meta Platforms CEO and billionaire Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is set to be questioned for the first time in a US court on Wednesday about Instagram's effect on the mental health of young users, as a landmark trial over youth social media addiction continues. While Zuckerberg has previously testified on the subject before Congress, the stakes are higher at the jury trial in Los Angeles, California. Meta may have to pay damages if it loses the case, and the verdict could erode Big Tech's longstanding legal defense against claims of user harm, Reuters reported.

The lawsuit and others like it are part of a global backlash against social media platforms over children's mental health. Australia has prohibited access to social media platforms for users under age 16, and other countries including Spain are considering similar curbs. In the US, Florida has prohibited companies from allowing users under age 14. Tech industry trade groups are challenging the law in court. The case involves a California woman who started using Meta's Instagram and Google's YouTube as a child. She alleges the companies sought to profit by hooking kids on their services despite knowing social media could harm their mental health. She alleges the apps fueled her depression and suicidal thoughts and is seeking to hold the companies liable.

Meta and Google have denied the allegations, and pointed to their work to add features that keep users safe. Meta has often pointed to a National Academies of Sciences finding that research does not show social media changes kids' mental health.

The lawsuit serves as a test case for similar claims in a larger group of cases against Meta, Alphabet's Google, Snap and TikTok. Families, school districts and states have filed thousands of lawsuits in the US accusing the companies of fueling a youth mental health crisis.

Zuckerberg is expected to be questioned on Meta's internal studies and discussions of how Instagram use affects younger users.

Over the years, investigative reporting has unearthed internal Meta documents showing the company was aware of potential harm. Meta researchers found that teens who report that Instagram regularly made them feel bad about their bodies saw significantly more “eating disorder adjacent content” than those who did not,

Reuters reported

in October. Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram, testified last week that he was unaware of a recent Meta study showing no link between parental supervision and teens' attentiveness to their own social media use. Teens with difficult life circumstances more often said they used Instagram habitually or unintentionally, according to the document shown at trial.

Meta's lawyer told jurors at the trial that the woman's health records show her issues stem from a troubled childhood, and that social media was a creative outlet for her.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.