Hezbollah Leads Fighting in South after Lebanese, Palestinian Factions Step Back

Smoke billows after an Israeli airstrike on a village in southern Lebanon. (AFP)
Smoke billows after an Israeli airstrike on a village in southern Lebanon. (AFP)
TT

Hezbollah Leads Fighting in South after Lebanese, Palestinian Factions Step Back

Smoke billows after an Israeli airstrike on a village in southern Lebanon. (AFP)
Smoke billows after an Israeli airstrike on a village in southern Lebanon. (AFP)

Attacks by Lebanese and Palestinian factions in southern Lebanon against Israel have decreased in recent weeks compared to how active they were in wake of Hamas’ October 7 assault.

The factions had been using the attacks to deliver messages to Israel and the international community.

The factions, which had initially included the al-Qassam Brigades and Saraya al-Quds, had taken part in “symbolic combat” against Israel in wake of Hamas’ attack. They launched rockets and limited incursions into northern Israel.

They were later joined by other Lebanese groups, such as the al-Fajr Forces that is affiliated with the al-Jamaa al-Islamiya, the Baath and the “Arab Current” parties.

Members of the Lebanese Amal Movement had also been deployed along the southern border, without officially declaring it was carrying out operations. The movement, headed by parliament Speaker Nabih Berri, has so far mourned eight members killed in Israeli strikes.

Hezbollah has recently sought to highlight Amal’s role in the South to underscore “Shiite unity”, as stated by party MP Mohammed Raad.

Director of the Levant Institute for Strategic Affairs Dr. Sami Nader explained that Hezbollah initially allowed attacks by factions other than itself to provide cover for the Palestinians and underline that it was not involved in Hamas’ Al-Aqsa Flood operation on October 7.

Hezbollah, however, will not relinquish control over the South, he stressed.

“Despite aligning with Hamas strategically, Hezbollah won't allow it or any other group to establish a foothold in the south,” he told Asharq Al-Awsat.

Nader also pointed out that Hezbollah’s decision to halt the other factions’ “symbolic operations” against Israel was driven by its commitment to a “certain ceiling” related to the messages exchanged between Iran and the United States and to prevent the spillover of the war on Gaza.

Hezbollah also wants to prevent Israel from using the presence of al-Qassam Brigades in the South as justification for expanding its operations.

Analyst Kassem Kassir told Asharq Al-Awsat that other groups’ involvement in military operations in the South depends on their capabilities and resources.

Professor of political science at the American University of Beirut Hilal Khashan highlighted the evolution of the resistance against Israel in Lebanon. It was initially called “national resistance” but later came to be monopolized by Hezbollah.

Khashan told Asharq Al-Awsat that Hezbollah allowed other factions to carry out limited military operations against Israel to “deliver certain messages at the time.”

“But Hezbollah doesn’t want an escalation and has since halted the other operations that were being launched from the South,” he added.

It continues to sanction some Amal activities to project the image that Shiites remain united in times of crisis.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.