Jordan: 5 Smugglers Killed on Border Hours after Interior Ministers Meeting

Jordanian army patrols along the border with Syria to prevent drug smuggling (File photo: AFP)
Jordanian army patrols along the border with Syria to prevent drug smuggling (File photo: AFP)
TT

Jordan: 5 Smugglers Killed on Border Hours after Interior Ministers Meeting

Jordanian army patrols along the border with Syria to prevent drug smuggling (File photo: AFP)
Jordanian army patrols along the border with Syria to prevent drug smuggling (File photo: AFP)

Five drug smugglers were killed and four others injured during a foiled attempt to smuggle large quantities of drugs into Jordan from Syria, the Jordanian Armed Forces.
The army said in a statement that large quantities of drugs were seized.
An official military source in the General Command of the Jordanian Armed Forces stated that the Eastern Military District, in coordination with the military security services and the Anti-Narcotics Department, "thwarted on Sunday dawn an attempt to infiltrate and smuggle large quantities of narcotic substances coming from Syrian territory."
The operation came hours after the meeting of the Jordanian, Iraqi, Syrian, and Lebanese interior ministers in Amman on Saturday.
Observers considered the timing of the operation as a Syrian response to any serious effort to combat drug trafficking operations.

They noted that it falls under a "Syrian rejection of the agreement to establish a joint communication cell between Iraq, Syria, and Lebanon" to follow-up and track shipments until their final destination.
On Saturday, the interior ministers discussed in a three-hour meeting ways to combat drug trafficking and agreed to set up a joint telecommunications cell to exchange information on such illegal businesses.
It was unclear which exact issues were addressed in the meeting or the extent of the discrepancy or agreement between the ministers.
The ministers did not issue any recommendations or final statements in such meetings, while none of the participating delegations made any announcement to journalists.
Observers believed that confronting the drug threat was a priority through forming a work cell supported by operational and intelligence expertise.
The meeting in Amman came a few weeks after official Syrian-Jordanian statements were exchanged about Damascus' "lack of seriousness" in putting an end to drug smuggling operations coming from its territory.
Jordan accused Syria of failure to exercise its sovereignty over its territory, adding that it officially sponsors militias affiliated with the army and Iran.
Jordan did not comment on reports concerning the Jordanian Air Force conducting four air sorties targeting drug factories in Daraa and al-Suwaida.
Syria, for its part, denounced the attacks, during which children and women were killed. Damascus said there was "no justification" for airstrikes that Jordan has launched into its territory.
Official Jordanian sources responded that the Syrian position was "full of fallacies," the same sources downplayed the importance of the Syrian reactions.
They claimed the Syrian statements were an "attempt to contain the anger of the southern Syrian regions," accusing the Syrian regime of supporting drug smuggling toward Jordan.
Over the past year, the recommendations of a series of consultative meetings held in Riyadh and Amman were dismissed, while Syrian-Jordanian security talks held in the presence of army leaders and intelligence agencies stopped.
Official sources in Jordan said Syria did not commit to implementing the recommendations of a series of security meetings and did not implement the agreements, adding that this can't be "dealt with in good faith."

Local sources confirm the daily activity of smugglers coming from Syrian territory to infiltrate and carry out organized operations on the northeastern border of Jordan.
Jordanian sources previously announced to Asharq Al-Awsat that smuggling militias in southern Syria are connected with local groups residing in the east of the country, near the Iraqi border.
Authorities arrested organized local groups that receive smuggled goods and re-export them to Iraq or resell them in the local market.
In December 2023, Jordanian border guard forces clashed with several armed groups coming from inside Syria, arresting one of them who was carrying large quantities of drugs.



Australia Bars Citizen Held in Syria’s Roj Camp from Returning Home

Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Australia Bars Citizen Held in Syria’s Roj Camp from Returning Home

Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Australia has barred one of its citizens from returning home from a Syrian detention camp because of security concerns, the government said Wednesday.

The unidentified person is among a group of 34 Australian women and children at the Roj camp related to suspected members of ISIS.

"I can confirm that one individual in this cohort has been issued a temporary exclusion order, which was made on advice from security agencies," Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said in a statement sent to AFP.

"At this stage security agencies have not provided advice that other members of the cohort meet the required legal thresholds for temporary exclusion orders."

The minister can make temporary exclusion orders lasting up to two years to prevent terrorist activities or politically motivated violence.

The Australians were released from the camp on Monday but failed to reach the capital Damascus on their way home, a Kurdish official told AFP in Syria.

The official said they were turned back to the detention camp, citing "poor coordination" with the Syrian authorities.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese underscored his government's refusal to help repatriate the women and children.

"You make your bed, you lie in it," he said, accusing the group of aligning with an ideology that seeks to "undermine and destroy our way of life".

"We are doing nothing to repatriate or to assist these people," he told reporters Wednesday.

"I think it's unfortunate that children are caught up in this. That's not their decision but it's the decision of their parents or their mother."

The humanitarian organization Save the Children Australia filed a lawsuit in 2023 on behalf of 11 women and 20 children in Syria, seeking their repatriation.

But the Federal Court ruled against Save the Children, saying the Australian government did not control their detention in Syria.


Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
TT

Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)

Electricity has returned to Yemen’s Socotra archipelago after urgent Saudi intervention ended days of outages that disrupted daily life and crippled vital institutions, including the general hospital, the university and the technical institute.

The breakthrough followed a sudden shutdown of the power plants after the operating company withdrew and disabled control systems, triggering widespread blackouts and deepening hardship for residents.

The Saudi Program for the Development and Reconstruction of Yemen said its engineering and technical teams moved immediately after receiving an appeal from local authorities. Specialists were dispatched to reactivate operating systems that had been encrypted before the company left the island.

Generators were brought back online in stages, restoring electricity across most of the governorate within a short time.

The restart eased intense pressure on the grid, which had faced rising demand in recent weeks after a complete halt in generation.

Health and education facilities were among the worst affected. Some medical departments scaled back services, while parts of the education sector were partially suspended as classrooms and laboratories were left without power.

Socotra’s electricity authority said the crisis began when the former operator installed shutdown timers and password protections on control systems, preventing local teams from restarting the stations. Officials noted that the archipelago faced a similar situation in 2018, which was resolved through official intervention.

Local sources said the return of electricity quickly stabilized basic services. Water networks resumed regular operations, telecommunications improved, and commercial activity began to recover after a period of economic disruption linked to the outages.

Health and education rebound

In the health sector, stable power, combined with operational support, secured the functioning of Socotra General Hospital, the archipelago’s main medical facility.

Funding helped provide fuel and medical supplies and support healthcare staff, strengthening the hospital’s ability to receive patients and reducing the need to transfer cases outside the governorate, a burden that had weighed heavily on residents.

Medical sources said critical departments, including intensive care units and operating rooms, resumed normal operations after relying on limited emergency measures.

In education, classes and academic activities resumed at Socotra University and the technical institute after weeks of disruption.

A support initiative covered operational costs, including academic staff salaries and essential expenses, helping curb absenteeism and restore the academic schedule.

Local authorities announced that studies at the technical institute would officially restart on Monday, a move seen as a sign of gradual stabilization in public services.

Observers say sustained technical and operational support will be key to safeguarding electricity supply and preventing a repeat of the crisis in a region that depends almost entirely on power to run its vital sectors.


Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.