Lebanon: Escape of a Politically Connected Prisoner Embarrasses Authorities

Personnel from the General Directorate of State Security (State Security Directorate)
Personnel from the General Directorate of State Security (State Security Directorate)
TT

Lebanon: Escape of a Politically Connected Prisoner Embarrasses Authorities

Personnel from the General Directorate of State Security (State Security Directorate)
Personnel from the General Directorate of State Security (State Security Directorate)

Lebanon’s judiciary kicked off an investigation on Thursday into the escape scandal or "smuggling" of a prisoner from his detention place at the State Security apparatus in the Sahet al-Abed area in eastern Beirut.
The incident has raised many interpretations despite the accused, Dani al-Rashid’s, re-arrest in coordination with the Syrian authorities. Rashid is considered a very prominent figure.
He is the director of the office of former minister Salim Jreissati (advisor to former President Michel Aoun) and the personal advisor to the head of the State Security apparatus, Brigadier General Tony Saliba.
Acting Public Prosecutor at the Court of Cassation, Judge Jamal al-Hajjar, held a meeting with the Government Commissioner at the Military Court, Judge Fadi Akiki. They agreed to initiate an immediate investigation to be conducted by Akiki under the supervision of al-Hajjar.
A judicial source said the investigation "has so far led to the arrest of three guards from the State Security prison, and will include officers and other personnel."
Akiki "summoned Brigadier General Tony Saliba for interrogation as the head of the State Security apparatus responsible for the actions of his officers and personnel”.
Rashid is accused of involvement in the attempted murder of engineer Abdullah Hanna in Zahle, eastern Lebanon. Reports emerged that he was receiving special treatment in prison from the State Security for his close relationship with political figures.
Hajjar has therefore sent a letter to Saliba requesting the transfer of all prisoners held by State Security to prisons and detention centers under the authority of the Internal Security Forces. However, it turned out that these prisoners had not been transferred.
Hajjar asked the State Security about the reasons for the delay in transferring the prisoners and requested a list of the detainees they have only to be surprised later by the news of Rashid’s escape.
Rashid’s escape occurred after the agreement on the date of his transfer into the custody of the Internal Security Forces. The source said that "communication between Brigadier General Saliba and the Director General of the Internal Security Forces, Major General Imad Othman, during which the transfer date of this prisoner to the custody of the Internal Security Forces was set. Hours later, news of his escape from prison was announced."
Investigations to uncover the escape operation are ongoing.
“Investigations and tracking operations will determine whether he left Lebanon or not”, a security source told Asharq Al-Awsat, adding that there could have been “an arrangement to smuggle him out of Lebanon before leaving prison because he realized well that if he remained in Lebanon, he would be rearrested”.
At night, the State Security announced in a statement the re-arrest of the escaped detainee after a joint security operation between the directorate and the relevant Syrian security authorities and a State Security force.
It said that Rashid “was handed over to the General Directorate of Lebanese General Security to carry out the required legal procedures. He will be referred again to the General Directorate of State Security on Friday morning for the necessary legal action to be taken against him under the supervision of the competent judiciary." 



Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.