The Netherlands Supports Lebanon with €140 Million

Dutch Foreign Minister Hanke Bruins Slot shakes hands with Lebanon's caretaker Foreign Minister Abdallah Bou Habib at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in Beirut, Lebanon May 6, 2024. REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir
Dutch Foreign Minister Hanke Bruins Slot shakes hands with Lebanon's caretaker Foreign Minister Abdallah Bou Habib at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in Beirut, Lebanon May 6, 2024. REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir
TT

The Netherlands Supports Lebanon with €140 Million

Dutch Foreign Minister Hanke Bruins Slot shakes hands with Lebanon's caretaker Foreign Minister Abdallah Bou Habib at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in Beirut, Lebanon May 6, 2024. REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir
Dutch Foreign Minister Hanke Bruins Slot shakes hands with Lebanon's caretaker Foreign Minister Abdallah Bou Habib at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in Beirut, Lebanon May 6, 2024. REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir

The Netherlands has allocated €140 million to support Lebanon for the next four years, Dutch Foreign Minister Hanke Bruins Slot announced in Beirut on Monday.

The announcement came amid concerns in Lebanon over an aid package from the European Union last week to provide €1 billion to the Lebanese government over three years to prop up the country's economy and help prevent a surge in refugees leaving for Europe.

The EU aid package has sparked outrage among Lebanese, primarily due to concerns that it might push Syrians to permanently settle in Lebanon.

The outrage further culminated on Monday when head of the Lebanese Forces Samir Geagea said his party will “continue exerting all efforts until the last illegal migrant leaves Lebanon.”

Following a meeting with her Lebanese counterpart, Abdallah Bou Habib, on Monday, the Dutch Foreign Minister expressed great appreciation for Lebanon for hosting the largest number of displaced Syrians despite the great burden it bears. “I understand that this has a huge impact on Lebanon and its people,” she said.

Slot noted that The Netherlands supports the Lebanese army, which works to strengthen stability. “We also support rebuilding the private sector in Lebanon, which contributes to the development of the country, in cooperation with the European Union. The Netherlands has allocated an amount of €140 million for the next four years,” she added.

This is Slot’s first visit to Lebanon.

The Dutch Minister said her country is committed to the relationship with Lebanon and that she spoke with Bou Habib about the importance of stability in the Middle East.

Slot also discussed the ongoing conflict between Hamas and Israel, saying, “We would like to resolve the crisis and reach a quick agreement regarding the current negotiation, and thus an immediate ceasefire, the return of the prisoners, and for the agreement to be a foundation upon which a lasting peace can later be built.”

The Dutch Foreign Minister then highlighted "the importance of immediately halting the deteriorating situation on the southern Lebanese border between Israel and Lebanon.”

She said The Netherlands is concerned about the escalation of the conflict and regrets the loss of civilian lives because of its negative impact on Lebanon and the region. “It is extremely important that we avoid expanding the cycle of violence.”

Slot then asked for a diplomatic solution and count on France's efforts. But, she said, Lebanon also plays a role and Resolution 1701 must be adopted as a basis for lasting peace. “We urge both sides, including Hezbollah, to contribute to implementing Resolution 1701 through field action, and also to support the Lebanese army.”

Meanwhile, the LF leader said his party’s position on the issue of the illegal Syrian presence in Lebanon is a firm, principled and sovereign stance that does not change with a billion euros or tens of billions, and does not change with an international request or wish.

The illegal presence of Syrians on Lebanese soil cannot continue and is not subject to discussion, according to Geagea. “The only thing that is up for discussion is assistance in their deportation, not assistance in keeping them in Lebanon,” he affirmed.

On Monday, Hezbollah said it refuses to negotiate a ceasefire in south Lebanon or to discuss any arrangements for the southern Litani area before the Gaza ceasefire.

The head of the Loyalty to the Resistance parliamentary bloc, MP Mohammad Raad, vowed that the war between his party and Israel is not just a military or a balance of power battle.

At a memorial service, he said, “This battle aims to offer a model of dedication to the preservation of the homeland and the preservation of humanity. We offer jihadists who have the highest moral and humanitarian characteristics and do not target civilians but only its enemies.”

In return, he accused Israel of presenting the ugliest image of a cruel human.



Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
TT

Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights

Meta Platforms CEO and billionaire Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is set to be questioned for the first time in a US court on Wednesday about Instagram's effect on the mental health of young users, as a landmark trial over youth social media addiction continues. While Zuckerberg has previously testified on the subject before Congress, the stakes are higher at the jury trial in Los Angeles, California. Meta may have to pay damages if it loses the case, and the verdict could erode Big Tech's longstanding legal defense against claims of user harm, Reuters reported.

The lawsuit and others like it are part of a global backlash against social media platforms over children's mental health. Australia has prohibited access to social media platforms for users under age 16, and other countries including Spain are considering similar curbs. In the US, Florida has prohibited companies from allowing users under age 14. Tech industry trade groups are challenging the law in court. The case involves a California woman who started using Meta's Instagram and Google's YouTube as a child. She alleges the companies sought to profit by hooking kids on their services despite knowing social media could harm their mental health. She alleges the apps fueled her depression and suicidal thoughts and is seeking to hold the companies liable.

Meta and Google have denied the allegations, and pointed to their work to add features that keep users safe. Meta has often pointed to a National Academies of Sciences finding that research does not show social media changes kids' mental health.

The lawsuit serves as a test case for similar claims in a larger group of cases against Meta, Alphabet's Google, Snap and TikTok. Families, school districts and states have filed thousands of lawsuits in the US accusing the companies of fueling a youth mental health crisis.

Zuckerberg is expected to be questioned on Meta's internal studies and discussions of how Instagram use affects younger users.

Over the years, investigative reporting has unearthed internal Meta documents showing the company was aware of potential harm. Meta researchers found that teens who report that Instagram regularly made them feel bad about their bodies saw significantly more “eating disorder adjacent content” than those who did not,

Reuters reported

in October. Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram, testified last week that he was unaware of a recent Meta study showing no link between parental supervision and teens' attentiveness to their own social media use. Teens with difficult life circumstances more often said they used Instagram habitually or unintentionally, according to the document shown at trial.

Meta's lawyer told jurors at the trial that the woman's health records show her issues stem from a troubled childhood, and that social media was a creative outlet for her.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.