Lebanon: Maronite Patriarchate Leads Campaign to Address Presence of Syrian Refugees

Participants in the meeting that Bkerke called for to discuss the issue of Syrian refugees (Asharq al-Awsat)
Participants in the meeting that Bkerke called for to discuss the issue of Syrian refugees (Asharq al-Awsat)
TT

Lebanon: Maronite Patriarchate Leads Campaign to Address Presence of Syrian Refugees

Participants in the meeting that Bkerke called for to discuss the issue of Syrian refugees (Asharq al-Awsat)
Participants in the meeting that Bkerke called for to discuss the issue of Syrian refugees (Asharq al-Awsat)

The increasing presence of Syrian refugees in Lebanon tops the crisis-hit country’s latest concerns as popular and political moves gain momentum to address the matter impacting its fragile economy.
Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri has called for a parliament session early next week to address the matter and to discuss the EU one billion dollar grant aimed at helping stem flows of irregular migrants. The majority of Lebanon’s parliamentary blocs are expected to attend.
The Maronite Center for Documentation and Research, led by Maronite Patriarch Beshara Al Rahi, held a closed meeting to address the matter.
Several ministers took part including: Interior Minister Bassam Mawlawi who represented PM Najib Mikati, Minister of Social Affairs Hektor Hajjar, Minister of the Displaced Issam Sharafeddine, Justice Minister Henri Helo, Minister of Education and Higher Education Abbas Halabi, Army Chief Joseph Aoun, in addition to representatives of the security apparatuses and governors.
“You will soon hear about the voluntary return of Syrian refugees back to their homeland”, said Mawlawi before the meeting, assuring that the controversial EU grant has not been approved.
He affirmed that all necessary measures will be taken with the assistance of the country’s municipalities, “we will not accept the presence of illegal Syrians in Lebanon”, he said.
Last week, EU chief Ursula von der Leyen announced $1 billion in aid to Lebanon to help tackle illegal migration, as rights groups warned against forced returns to Syria.
The grant drew criticisms as some considered it a bribe to keep the Syrian refugees on Lebanese soil.
The education minister said he will make sure to raise the situation of Lebanon’s educational sector “mainly the Syrians” during the meeting in Bkerke.
In 2013, the Lebanese government adopted an educational response to the Syrian crisis, enrolling Syrian refugee children in second shifts at public schools to access education.
On Thursday, the Free Patriotic Movement held a popular movement in Downtown Beirut “rejecting external interferences to solve the Syrian displacement crisis on its own soil”. An FPM bloc held talks with several officials and met with Speaker Berri on that matter.
The Lebanese Forces party also held meetings with several officials closely connected to the refugees issue, and met with Filippo Grandi, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees.
“Lebanon is not suitable to be a country for refugees”, they stressed.
Similarly, the Progressive Socialist Party has also called for dialogue with the Syrian state to address the matter of refugees.
The recent activity comes one week before the parliamentary session that Berri has called for at the request of Mikati. The PM was largely criticized after the EU grant matter.
Some have considered the EU grant as a “bribe” to keep the Syrian refugees on Lebanese soil.
Unnamed sources have accessed the latest momentum on the refugee crisis and Bkerke’s call for a meeting on the matter, describing it as a “popular mobilization heralding the beginning of a solution”.

Lebanon's economy collapsed in late 2019, turning it into a launchpad for migrants, with Lebanese joining Syrians and Palestinian refugees making perilous Europe-bound voyages.

Lebanon says it currently hosts around two million people from neighboring Syria -- the world's highest number of refugees per capita -- with almost 785,000 registered with the United Nations.



Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
TT

Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)

Lebanon said an Israeli strike on the country's largest Palestinian refugee camp killed two people on Friday, with Israel's army saying it had targeted the Palestinian group Hamas. 

The official National News Agency said "an Israeli drone" targeted a neighborhood of the Ain al-Hilweh camp, which is located on the outskirts of the southern city of Sidon. 

Lebanon's health ministry said two people were killed in the raid. The NNA had earlier reported one dead and an unspecified number of wounded. 

An AFP correspondent saw smoke rising from a building in the densely populated camp as ambulances headed to the scene. 

The Israeli army said in a statement that its forces "struck a Hamas command center from which terrorists operated", calling activity there "a violation of the ceasefire understandings between Israel and Lebanon" and a threat to Israel. 

The Israeli military "is operating against the entrenchment" of the Palestinian group in Lebanon and will "continue to act decisively against Hamas terrorists wherever they operate", it added. 

Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to halt more than a year of hostilities with Hezbollah. 

Israel has also struck targets belonging to Hezbollah's Palestinian ally Hamas, including in a raid on Ain al-Hilweh last November that killed 13 people. 

The UN rights office had said 11 children were killed in that strike, which Israel said targeted a Hamas training compound, though the group denied it had military installations in Palestinian camps in Lebanon. 

In October 2023, Hezbollah began launching rockets at Israel in support of Hamas at the outset of the Gaza war, triggering hostilities that culminated in two months of all-out war between Israel and the Iran-backed Lebanese group. 

On Sunday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country's east killed four people, as Israel said it targeted operatives from Palestinian group Islamic Jihad. 


UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.