UN Yemen Envoy Worried About Threats to Return to War, Houthi Rhetoric towards Marib

United Nations Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg delivers his briefing before the UN Security Council on Monday. (AFP)
United Nations Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg delivers his briefing before the UN Security Council on Monday. (AFP)
TT

UN Yemen Envoy Worried About Threats to Return to War, Houthi Rhetoric towards Marib

United Nations Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg delivers his briefing before the UN Security Council on Monday. (AFP)
United Nations Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg delivers his briefing before the UN Security Council on Monday. (AFP)

United Nations Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg renewed on Monday his fear about threats to return to war, also expressing his concern about the Iran-backed Houthi militias’ rhetoric towards Marib.

During his monthly briefing to the UN Security Council, he said he met in the interim capital Aden Chairman of the Presidential Leadership Council, Dr. Rashad Al-Alimi, and Vice President Aidarous Al-Zubaidi, Prime Minister Ahmed Awad bin Mubarak and Foreign Minister Shayea Al-Zindani.

“We have discussed the urgent need to address the deteriorating living conditions for Yemenis and make progress toward securing a roadmap agreement that ends the war and opens a path to just peace,” added the envoy. “I am encouraged by the constructive environment that these meetings were conducted in.”

“In December last year, through dialogue, diplomacy, and negotiation, the parties took a courageous step towards a peaceful solution for Yemen when they agreed to a set of commitments to be operationalized through a UN roadmap,” he went on to say.

“These commitments would provide for a nationwide ceasefire, ensure much-needed relief for Yemenis, and initiate an inclusive political process to sustainably end the conflict,” he remarked.

Grundberg acknowledged, however, that the challenges that he brought up in previous briefings are still impeding his progress, “most critically the precarious environment in the wider region.”

“With the regional situation continuing to complicate our ability to achieve progress in Yemen, I reiterate the United Nations Secretary-General’s call for a ceasefire in Gaza and I urge all involved to de-escalate the situation in the Red Sea and its vicinity,” he stressed.

“Inside Yemen, the security situation along the frontlines has remained contained in the past month. Still, I am concerned about the continuation of military activity in the form of shelling, sniper fire, intermittent fighting, drone attacks and troop movements in Dhale, Hodeidah, Lahj, Marib, Saadah, Shabwa, and Taiz,” he added.

On April 27, two women and three girls were killed in the Taiz governorate by a drone attack while collecting water near their home. “This highlights the dire risks to civilians in the currently unresolved situation,” noted the envoy.

Violence not the answer

Moreover, Grundberg said he was also concerned “about the parties’ threats to return to war, including the Houthi rhetoric and actions in relation to Marib.”

“Let me be clear, further violence will not resolve the conflict. On the contrary, it will only exacerbate the suffering we see today and risk losing the opportunity for a political settlement. Again, I urge the parties to exercise maximum restraint in both their actions and their words during this fragile period,” he demanded.

Despite the challenges, he said a “peaceful and just solution remains possible.”

“Yemenis are calling for equality as citizens before the law. For a chance to tap into their country’s true economic potential. And for functioning services and good governance. These calls ultimately require an agreement to end the war and to begin a political process,” stated Grundberg.

The envoy said he was continuing engagements with the parties to make progress on the UN Roadmap, with the support of the international community and the region, notably Saudi Arabia and Oman.

He revealed that currently, his office is engaged with Yemenis to facilitate the release of conflict-related detainees, the opening of roads, and improvements in the economic and financial sector.

“I continue preparations for a nationwide ceasefire and the resumption of an inclusive political process. To this end, my office is engaging with diverse actors such as local authority representatives, security actors and military officials, economic policy makers, civil society actors, journalists, community leaders, local mediators, and representatives of the private sector,” he added.

“I continue to prioritize the Women, Peace, and Security agenda, and my office has recently organized several meetings together with Yemenis on how to enhance women’s meaningful participation in all aspects of the peace process,” he revealed.

Furthermore, Grundberg said: “I am determined to continue directing all my efforts toward enabling Yemenis to reach a nationwide ceasefire and start an inclusive political process that lays the foundations for a lasting peace.”

“To make these shared aspirations possible, I will need to draw on the support of the region and this Council,” he stressed.



Few People Left at Syria Camp that Held ISIS Families, Former Director Says

Children, part of a group of detainees, look through a fence at al-Hol camp after the Syrian government took control of it following the withdrawal of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), in Hasaka, Syria, January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Khalil Ashawi
Children, part of a group of detainees, look through a fence at al-Hol camp after the Syrian government took control of it following the withdrawal of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), in Hasaka, Syria, January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Khalil Ashawi
TT

Few People Left at Syria Camp that Held ISIS Families, Former Director Says

Children, part of a group of detainees, look through a fence at al-Hol camp after the Syrian government took control of it following the withdrawal of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), in Hasaka, Syria, January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Khalil Ashawi
Children, part of a group of detainees, look through a fence at al-Hol camp after the Syrian government took control of it following the withdrawal of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), in Hasaka, Syria, January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Khalil Ashawi

Fewer than 1,000 families remain at a camp where relatives of suspected ISIS militants had been held in Syria's northeast, the camp's former director said on Wednesday, with thousands having fled last month as government forces seized control of the area from Kurdish-led fighters.

Al-Hol, near the Iraqi border, was one of the main detention camps for relatives of suspected ISIS militants who were detained during the US-backed campaign against the terrorist group in Syria.

Control of the camp changed hands last month when government forces under President Ahmed al-Sharaa seized swathes of the northeast from the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces, including several jails holding ISIS militants. The US military said last week it had completed a mission to transfer 5,700 adult male ISIS detainees to Iraq.

Jihan Hanna, the former director who still coordinates with international agencies and the Syrian government, told Reuters the remaining families were Syrian nationals and were being transferred to a camp in Aleppo. Most of the camp’s foreign nationals had fled, she said.

The Syrian government did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

According to the latest camp data obtained by Reuters, dated January 19 - a day before the government took control of the camp - its population was 6,639 families comprising 23,407 people, mostly Syrians and Iraqis, as well as 6,280 foreigners from more than 40 nationalities.

UNHCR, the UN refugee agency, said it had observed "a significant decrease in the number of residents in al-Hol camp in recent weeks," adding in a statement to Reuters that there were no confirmed figures on the remaining population.

"Over the weekend the camp administration advised UNHCR not to enter the camp due to the unrest and anxiety in the camp," UNHCR added.

The Syrian government accused the SDF of withdrawing from al-Hol on January 20 without any coordination.

The SDF, in a statement that day, said its forces had been "compelled to withdraw from al-Hol camp and redeploy to areas surrounding cities in northern Syria that are facing increasing risks and threats."

A Syrian government security source said most people in the camp fled that day during a five-hour period when it was unguarded, and that some had left with men who came to take their relatives to unknown destinations.

The security source and a source from a non-governmental organization working there said a section of the camp that housed its most dangerous residents, known as the annex, was empty.

The security source said the escapees had spread throughout Syria and that security authorities, working in cooperation with international partners, had established a unit to "follow up on the matter and pursue those who are wanted."

Some have left Syria.

In Lebanon, the army has questioned more than a dozen Lebanese who crossed illegally from Syria after leaving al-Hol, a Lebanese security source said.

The Syrian government’s Directorate of International Cooperation said on Tuesday that hundreds of people, mostly women and children, had been transferred from al-Hol to a newly prepared camp near the town of Akhtarin in northern Aleppo.


Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.