UN Yemen Envoy Worried About Threats to Return to War, Houthi Rhetoric towards Marib

United Nations Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg delivers his briefing before the UN Security Council on Monday. (AFP)
United Nations Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg delivers his briefing before the UN Security Council on Monday. (AFP)
TT

UN Yemen Envoy Worried About Threats to Return to War, Houthi Rhetoric towards Marib

United Nations Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg delivers his briefing before the UN Security Council on Monday. (AFP)
United Nations Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg delivers his briefing before the UN Security Council on Monday. (AFP)

United Nations Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg renewed on Monday his fear about threats to return to war, also expressing his concern about the Iran-backed Houthi militias’ rhetoric towards Marib.

During his monthly briefing to the UN Security Council, he said he met in the interim capital Aden Chairman of the Presidential Leadership Council, Dr. Rashad Al-Alimi, and Vice President Aidarous Al-Zubaidi, Prime Minister Ahmed Awad bin Mubarak and Foreign Minister Shayea Al-Zindani.

“We have discussed the urgent need to address the deteriorating living conditions for Yemenis and make progress toward securing a roadmap agreement that ends the war and opens a path to just peace,” added the envoy. “I am encouraged by the constructive environment that these meetings were conducted in.”

“In December last year, through dialogue, diplomacy, and negotiation, the parties took a courageous step towards a peaceful solution for Yemen when they agreed to a set of commitments to be operationalized through a UN roadmap,” he went on to say.

“These commitments would provide for a nationwide ceasefire, ensure much-needed relief for Yemenis, and initiate an inclusive political process to sustainably end the conflict,” he remarked.

Grundberg acknowledged, however, that the challenges that he brought up in previous briefings are still impeding his progress, “most critically the precarious environment in the wider region.”

“With the regional situation continuing to complicate our ability to achieve progress in Yemen, I reiterate the United Nations Secretary-General’s call for a ceasefire in Gaza and I urge all involved to de-escalate the situation in the Red Sea and its vicinity,” he stressed.

“Inside Yemen, the security situation along the frontlines has remained contained in the past month. Still, I am concerned about the continuation of military activity in the form of shelling, sniper fire, intermittent fighting, drone attacks and troop movements in Dhale, Hodeidah, Lahj, Marib, Saadah, Shabwa, and Taiz,” he added.

On April 27, two women and three girls were killed in the Taiz governorate by a drone attack while collecting water near their home. “This highlights the dire risks to civilians in the currently unresolved situation,” noted the envoy.

Violence not the answer

Moreover, Grundberg said he was also concerned “about the parties’ threats to return to war, including the Houthi rhetoric and actions in relation to Marib.”

“Let me be clear, further violence will not resolve the conflict. On the contrary, it will only exacerbate the suffering we see today and risk losing the opportunity for a political settlement. Again, I urge the parties to exercise maximum restraint in both their actions and their words during this fragile period,” he demanded.

Despite the challenges, he said a “peaceful and just solution remains possible.”

“Yemenis are calling for equality as citizens before the law. For a chance to tap into their country’s true economic potential. And for functioning services and good governance. These calls ultimately require an agreement to end the war and to begin a political process,” stated Grundberg.

The envoy said he was continuing engagements with the parties to make progress on the UN Roadmap, with the support of the international community and the region, notably Saudi Arabia and Oman.

He revealed that currently, his office is engaged with Yemenis to facilitate the release of conflict-related detainees, the opening of roads, and improvements in the economic and financial sector.

“I continue preparations for a nationwide ceasefire and the resumption of an inclusive political process. To this end, my office is engaging with diverse actors such as local authority representatives, security actors and military officials, economic policy makers, civil society actors, journalists, community leaders, local mediators, and representatives of the private sector,” he added.

“I continue to prioritize the Women, Peace, and Security agenda, and my office has recently organized several meetings together with Yemenis on how to enhance women’s meaningful participation in all aspects of the peace process,” he revealed.

Furthermore, Grundberg said: “I am determined to continue directing all my efforts toward enabling Yemenis to reach a nationwide ceasefire and start an inclusive political process that lays the foundations for a lasting peace.”

“To make these shared aspirations possible, I will need to draw on the support of the region and this Council,” he stressed.



Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
TT

Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)

Lebanon said an Israeli strike on the country's largest Palestinian refugee camp killed two people on Friday, with Israel's army saying it had targeted the Palestinian group Hamas. 

The official National News Agency said "an Israeli drone" targeted a neighborhood of the Ain al-Hilweh camp, which is located on the outskirts of the southern city of Sidon. 

Lebanon's health ministry said two people were killed in the raid. The NNA had earlier reported one dead and an unspecified number of wounded. 

An AFP correspondent saw smoke rising from a building in the densely populated camp as ambulances headed to the scene. 

The Israeli army said in a statement that its forces "struck a Hamas command center from which terrorists operated", calling activity there "a violation of the ceasefire understandings between Israel and Lebanon" and a threat to Israel. 

The Israeli military "is operating against the entrenchment" of the Palestinian group in Lebanon and will "continue to act decisively against Hamas terrorists wherever they operate", it added. 

Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to halt more than a year of hostilities with Hezbollah. 

Israel has also struck targets belonging to Hezbollah's Palestinian ally Hamas, including in a raid on Ain al-Hilweh last November that killed 13 people. 

The UN rights office had said 11 children were killed in that strike, which Israel said targeted a Hamas training compound, though the group denied it had military installations in Palestinian camps in Lebanon. 

In October 2023, Hezbollah began launching rockets at Israel in support of Hamas at the outset of the Gaza war, triggering hostilities that culminated in two months of all-out war between Israel and the Iran-backed Lebanese group. 

On Sunday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country's east killed four people, as Israel said it targeted operatives from Palestinian group Islamic Jihad. 


UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.