Lebanon Did Not Receive Warning from Israel, Hezbollah Dismisses Hochstein’s Visit

 French Foreign Minister Stephane Sejourne meets with Lebanon's caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati in Beirut, Lebanon August 15, 2024. (Reuters)
French Foreign Minister Stephane Sejourne meets with Lebanon's caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati in Beirut, Lebanon August 15, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

Lebanon Did Not Receive Warning from Israel, Hezbollah Dismisses Hochstein’s Visit

 French Foreign Minister Stephane Sejourne meets with Lebanon's caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati in Beirut, Lebanon August 15, 2024. (Reuters)
French Foreign Minister Stephane Sejourne meets with Lebanon's caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati in Beirut, Lebanon August 15, 2024. (Reuters)

France's Foreign Minister Stephane Sejourne stressed on Thursday his country’s support for Lebanon, expressing appreciation for its "self-restraint in this difficult period" in the region. 

The FM kicked off on Thursday a visit to the region by meeting Lebanese caretaker Najib Mikati and parliament Speaker Nabih Berri in Beirut. 

He is scheduled to visit Tel Aviv, Amman and Cairo amid heightened tensions over Hezbollah and Iran’s threats to retaliate against Israel for the assassination of Hezbollah senior military commander Fuad Shukr in Beirut and Hamas politburo chief Ismail Haniyeh in Tehran last month. 

In Beirut, Sejourne told Mikati that France stands by Lebanon and it continues to support the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL). 

For his part, the PM said: "We can only be silent, patient and praying in this difficult period." 

He also stressed the importance of supporting the extension of UNIFIL’s term for another year. 

Meanwhile, Berri underscored to Sejourne Lebanon’s "commitment to the rules of engagement and its right to defend itself against Israeli hostilities that have not spared civilians, journalists and medics." 

He slammed Israel for using internationally prohibited weapons, such as white phosphorus munitions on agricultural fields. 

The speaker also underlined the need to extend UNIFIL’s term in line with UN Security Council resolutions 1701. 

Sejourne said France was focusing on easing the tensions in the region, which is a message he will relay to other countries during his tour. 

On UNIFIL, he confirmed that Paris was keen on extending its term for another year. 

The Security Council will meet at the end of the month to tackle the extension. 

Sejourne also met his Lebanese counterpart Abdallah Bou Habib, who revealed that Lebanon did not receive any messages or threats from Israel through the French FM or US special envoy Amos Hochstein, who was in Lebanon on Wednesday. 

Bou Habib said discussions with Hochstein culminated in an agreement to extend UNIFIL’s term for another year, noting that the US had initially wanted to extend it for six months. 

Qassem criticizes Hochstein 

Hochstein met with Mikati, Berri and army commander Joseph Aoun. 

He told officials that there was no time to waste to reach a ceasefire in Gaza, which would pave the way for a diplomatic solution that would end the escalation between Hezbollah and Israel. 

Meanwhile, Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem dismissed the envoy’s visit as "performative", adding that he didn’t offer Lebanon any specific proposals. 

The US wants to appear as if it is taking action, but as of yet, it hasn’t offered anything tangible, he revealed. 

He also reiterated that Hezbollah was determined to retaliate to Shukr’s assassination. 

Hezbollah vowed to "continue the brave and wise resistance with all the capabilities at its disposal in defense of Lebanon and its people, their freedom and safety and will to lead a dignified life." 

In a statement marking the 18th anniversary of the end of the 2006 Hezbollah-Israel war, it vowed to carry on with its operations "in spite of the Israeli threats, American aircraft carriers, assassinations and local and foreign media campaigns." 

"Lebanon will never again be occupied, and it will never be taken hostage by the enemy. It will never be open to normalizing ties [with Israel]," it declared. 



How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)

As Hamas moves to strike armed gangs operating in areas of the Gaza Strip under Israeli army control, the groups are responding with defiance, stepping up efforts to recruit young men and expand their ranks.

Videos posted on social media show training exercises and other activities, signaling that the gangs remain active despite pressure from Hamas security services.

Platforms affiliated with Hamas security say some members have recently turned themselves in following mediation by families, clans and community leaders. The gangs have not responded to those statements. Instead, they occasionally broadcast footage announcing new recruits.

Among the most prominent was Hamza Mahra, a Hamas activist who appeared weeks ago in a video released by the Shawqi Abu Nasira gang, which operates north of Khan Younis and east of Deir al-Balah.

Mahra’s appearance has raised questions about how these groups recruit members inside the enclave.

Field sources and others within the security apparatus of a Palestinian armed faction in Gaza told Asharq Al-Awsat that Mahra’s case may be an exception. They described him as a Hamas activist with no major role, despite his grandfather being among the founders of Hamas in Jabalia.

His decision to join the gang was driven by personal reasons linked to a family dispute, they said, not by organizational considerations.

The sources said the gangs exploit severe economic hardship, luring some young men with money, cigarettes and other incentives. Some recruits were heavily indebted and fled to gang-controlled areas to avoid repaying creditors.

Others joined in search of narcotic pills, the sources said, noting that some had previously been detained by Hamas-run security forces on similar charges. Economic hardship and the need for cigarettes and drugs were among the main drivers of recruitment, they added, saying the gangs, with Israeli backing, provide such supplies.

Resentment toward Hamas has also played a role, particularly among those previously arrested on criminal or security grounds and subjected to what the sources described as limited torture during interrogations under established procedures.

According to the sources, some founders or current leaders of the gangs previously served in the Palestinian Authority security services.

They cited Shawqi Abu Nasira, a senior police officer; Hussam al-Astal, an officer in the Preventive Security Service; and Rami Helles and Ashraf al-Mansi, both former officers in the Palestinian Presidential Guard.

These figures, the sources said, approach young men in need and at times succeed in recruiting them by promising help in settling debts and providing cigarettes. They also tell recruits that joining will secure them a future role in security forces that would later govern Gaza.

The sources described the case of a young man who surrendered to Gaza security services last week. He said he had been pressured after a phone call with a woman who threatened to publish the recording unless he joined one of the gangs.

He later received assurances from another contact that he would help repay some of his debts and ultimately agreed to enlist.

During questioning, he said the leader of the gang he joined east of Gaza City repeatedly assured recruits they would be “part of the structure of any Palestinian security force that will rule the sector.”

The young man told investigators he was unconvinced by those assurances, as were dozens of others in the same group.

Investigations of several individuals who surrendered, along with field data, indicate the gangs have carried out armed missions on behalf of the Israeli army, including locating tunnels. That has led to ambushes by Palestinian factions.

In the past week, clashes in the Zaytoun neighborhood south of Gaza City and near al-Masdar east of Deir al-Balah left gang members dead and wounded.

Some investigations also found that the gangs recruited young men previously involved in looting humanitarian aid.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.