Abdullah II to Araghchi: Jordan Will Not be Battleground for Regional Conflicts

Jordanian King Abdullah II on Wednesday welcomes Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi in Amman (Petra)
Jordanian King Abdullah II on Wednesday welcomes Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi in Amman (Petra)
TT

Abdullah II to Araghchi: Jordan Will Not be Battleground for Regional Conflicts

Jordanian King Abdullah II on Wednesday welcomes Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi in Amman (Petra)
Jordanian King Abdullah II on Wednesday welcomes Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi in Amman (Petra)

Jordanian King Abdullah II on Wednesday affirmed during his meeting in Amman with Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi that his country will not be a battleground for regional conflicts, while also stressing the need for regional de-escalation.
Also at the meeting, attended by Crown Prince Al Hussein bin Abdullah II, the King warned that the continued killing and destruction will keep the region hostage to violence and the expansion of conflict.
He affirmed the need to stop the Israeli war on Gaza and Lebanon as a first step towards comprehensive calm.
King Abdullah II then expressed Jordan's keenness to exert all efforts with partner states to restore stability in the region and create a political horizon for the Palestinian issue.
He highlighted the importance of boosting the humanitarian response in Gaza, as well as ensuring the continued flow of aid in order to mitigate the humanitarian catastrophe.
Jordan Will Respond to Any Violations
At every diplomatic meeting, Jordanian politicians reaffirm these positions, saying that Jordan will not be a battleground for regional conflicts. They expressed the same positions to the Iranian Foreign Minister.
Jordan is keen to remain completely neutral facing the Israeli-Iranian escalation. It refuses any violation of its sovereignty and airspace or threats to the security of its citizens.
Amman had already informed Iran and Israel that it will “shoot down any target” in its airspace in case the confrontation escalates between the two nations.
Meanwhile, analysts are incapable of understanding the controversial position of Tehran. While Iran has engaged in diplomatic talks in the region to de-escalate the conflict, it continues to support the war on several fronts amid risks of engaging in it.
Araghchi’s visit to Amman on Wednesday was preceded by a closed-door meeting between the Jordanian monarch and Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly in New York last month. But details of their talks were not disclosed.
Amman, Tehran: Good Relations
Last April, Jordan's Foreign Minister Ayman Safadi made a rare and surprising visit to Iran just days following the assassination of Hamas’ chief Ismail Haniyeh in Tehran with a plea for an end to the escalation of violence and for the region to be able to live in “peace, security and stability.”
During the visit, which sought to improve their relations, the Jordanian minister said that King Abdullah II “tasked me to accept the invitation to Tehran, so that we can engage into a clear and frank brotherly conversation about overcoming the differences between the two countries.”
Safadi’s visit to Tehran was also addressed to Israel, as it sent a clarification that Jordan “has several political options to defend its sovereignty, including to open communication channels with Tehran and relevant sides in the region,” sources told Asharq Al-Awsat.
Tehran’s Missiles in Jordanian Airspace
Israel lacks a geographical depth to respond to Iran’s firing of ballistic missiles at Israel. Therefore, Israel’s anti-missile system could lead to the crashing of missiles in a populated area in the Jordanian territory.
The Royal Jordanian Air Force and air defense systems have responded to a number of missiles and drones that entered Jordanian airspace by pushing them to an unpopulated area in the desert.
On April 13 and Oct. 1 Iran fired missiles at Israel, the Jordanian government responded, saying it will not allow the country to become a battleground.⁠
Two weeks ago, government spokesperson Mohammad Momani told local media that protecting Jordan and Jordanians is the cabinet’s first responsibility.
He said “Jordan's position is clear and permanent that it will not be an arena for conflict for any party.”

 



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.