Israeli Army Urging Government to Accept Political Settlement with Lebanon

 An Israeli soldier stands next to a building hit by missiles fired by Hezbollah in Haifa (Reuters)
 An Israeli soldier stands next to a building hit by missiles fired by Hezbollah in Haifa (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Army Urging Government to Accept Political Settlement with Lebanon

 An Israeli soldier stands next to a building hit by missiles fired by Hezbollah in Haifa (Reuters)
 An Israeli soldier stands next to a building hit by missiles fired by Hezbollah in Haifa (Reuters)

Amid its ongoing chain of raids against Lebanon and its assassinations of Hezbollah’s high command, the Israeli army has begun to remove all military manifestations in the Galilee to allow civilians to return to previously targeted areas.
Reports in Israel quoted senior military sources as saying that the Israeli Northern Command has completed the mission set by decision-makers about two weeks ago.
They said the Israeli army is now seeking to “preserve its military achievements” in Lebanon and therefore is urging the government to negotiate a ceasefire that the US and France are trying to reach with the government in Beirut.
Lebanese “Mud”
Israeli sources said the military believes a political settlement in Lebanon is urgently necessary to avoid getting involved in the Lebanese “mud,” according to an opinion published by the Israeli Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper.
The newspaper wrote that the military clock ticks faster than the political one, with Northern Command divisions having accomplished their mission, and the Israeli Army subtly urging the government to negotiate a ceasefire in the north.
On Sunday, the newspaper said the Israeli operation in southern Lebanon is conducted under greater secrecy and limited information from the army, aiming to complicate the actions of Hezbollah, which is far from being disarmed.
It said currently, fewer Israeli brigades are involved in the three divisional operations taking place 4–5 kilometers from the border compared to the peak of the campaign to eliminate the Radwan Force’s invasion threat to Israel about a month ago.
86 Soldiers Killed
To explain the current activities of the Israeli army in southern Lebanon, the military uses terms like “preserving achievements” and targeting Hezbollah’s rocket launchers capable of hitting short and medium ranges such as the Haifa Bay area, according to the Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper.
Since the start of Israel's ground incursion in Lebanon on October 1, at least 68 Israeli soldiers and civilians have been killed compared to losses that may reach about 25 times on the Lebanese side, according to army estimates, as reported by the Israeli newspaper.
There are now increasing indications that the Israeli army will advance to the second line of villages and potentially beyond, though it has not yet entered larger towns, such as Bint Jbeil and Marjayoun.
“A full-scale maneuver isn’t in the foreseeable future and we’re currently in the best position regarding the Army’s achievements — eliminating Hezbollah commanders and leadership and seizing thousands of their assets in missile, rocket and production capabilities,” security officials told the newspaper.
Trump’s Gift
The newspaper said some in the Israeli army were stunned by the US report suggesting the government might wait another two months until US President-elect Donald Trump takes office to present him with a ceasefire “gift.”
This delay could mean enduring a harsh Lebanese winter — a grueling challenge not accounted for in the initial plans, nor necessarily manageable given the Army’s depleted state after 14 months of extensive multi-front combat, it said.
The newspaper wrote that the end of the northern war, coupled with the shift to prolonged fighting in Gaza — with or without the release of hostages — would mark the conclusion of this extended conflict for a government that seemingly favors its continuation.
It could also trigger a state commission of inquiry, feared by the government and possibly lead to elections. In this context, the military clock, marked by casualties and losses, no longer synchronizes with the slower political clock aiming for perpetual war.
Removing Military Manifestos
Senior military sources have confirmed that the Israeli Army has begun removing military manifestations from the border area with Lebanon, in a move that suggests the possible return of residents who were evacuated at the beginning of the clashes with Hezbollah, Israeli Army Radio said on Sunday.

 



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.