Israeli Army Urging Government to Accept Political Settlement with Lebanon

 An Israeli soldier stands next to a building hit by missiles fired by Hezbollah in Haifa (Reuters)
 An Israeli soldier stands next to a building hit by missiles fired by Hezbollah in Haifa (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Army Urging Government to Accept Political Settlement with Lebanon

 An Israeli soldier stands next to a building hit by missiles fired by Hezbollah in Haifa (Reuters)
 An Israeli soldier stands next to a building hit by missiles fired by Hezbollah in Haifa (Reuters)

Amid its ongoing chain of raids against Lebanon and its assassinations of Hezbollah’s high command, the Israeli army has begun to remove all military manifestations in the Galilee to allow civilians to return to previously targeted areas.
Reports in Israel quoted senior military sources as saying that the Israeli Northern Command has completed the mission set by decision-makers about two weeks ago.
They said the Israeli army is now seeking to “preserve its military achievements” in Lebanon and therefore is urging the government to negotiate a ceasefire that the US and France are trying to reach with the government in Beirut.
Lebanese “Mud”
Israeli sources said the military believes a political settlement in Lebanon is urgently necessary to avoid getting involved in the Lebanese “mud,” according to an opinion published by the Israeli Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper.
The newspaper wrote that the military clock ticks faster than the political one, with Northern Command divisions having accomplished their mission, and the Israeli Army subtly urging the government to negotiate a ceasefire in the north.
On Sunday, the newspaper said the Israeli operation in southern Lebanon is conducted under greater secrecy and limited information from the army, aiming to complicate the actions of Hezbollah, which is far from being disarmed.
It said currently, fewer Israeli brigades are involved in the three divisional operations taking place 4–5 kilometers from the border compared to the peak of the campaign to eliminate the Radwan Force’s invasion threat to Israel about a month ago.
86 Soldiers Killed
To explain the current activities of the Israeli army in southern Lebanon, the military uses terms like “preserving achievements” and targeting Hezbollah’s rocket launchers capable of hitting short and medium ranges such as the Haifa Bay area, according to the Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper.
Since the start of Israel's ground incursion in Lebanon on October 1, at least 68 Israeli soldiers and civilians have been killed compared to losses that may reach about 25 times on the Lebanese side, according to army estimates, as reported by the Israeli newspaper.
There are now increasing indications that the Israeli army will advance to the second line of villages and potentially beyond, though it has not yet entered larger towns, such as Bint Jbeil and Marjayoun.
“A full-scale maneuver isn’t in the foreseeable future and we’re currently in the best position regarding the Army’s achievements — eliminating Hezbollah commanders and leadership and seizing thousands of their assets in missile, rocket and production capabilities,” security officials told the newspaper.
Trump’s Gift
The newspaper said some in the Israeli army were stunned by the US report suggesting the government might wait another two months until US President-elect Donald Trump takes office to present him with a ceasefire “gift.”
This delay could mean enduring a harsh Lebanese winter — a grueling challenge not accounted for in the initial plans, nor necessarily manageable given the Army’s depleted state after 14 months of extensive multi-front combat, it said.
The newspaper wrote that the end of the northern war, coupled with the shift to prolonged fighting in Gaza — with or without the release of hostages — would mark the conclusion of this extended conflict for a government that seemingly favors its continuation.
It could also trigger a state commission of inquiry, feared by the government and possibly lead to elections. In this context, the military clock, marked by casualties and losses, no longer synchronizes with the slower political clock aiming for perpetual war.
Removing Military Manifestos
Senior military sources have confirmed that the Israeli Army has begun removing military manifestations from the border area with Lebanon, in a move that suggests the possible return of residents who were evacuated at the beginning of the clashes with Hezbollah, Israeli Army Radio said on Sunday.

 



Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
TT

Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)

Lebanon said an Israeli strike on the country's largest Palestinian refugee camp killed two people on Friday, with Israel's army saying it had targeted the Palestinian group Hamas. 

The official National News Agency said "an Israeli drone" targeted a neighborhood of the Ain al-Hilweh camp, which is located on the outskirts of the southern city of Sidon. 

Lebanon's health ministry said two people were killed in the raid. The NNA had earlier reported one dead and an unspecified number of wounded. 

An AFP correspondent saw smoke rising from a building in the densely populated camp as ambulances headed to the scene. 

The Israeli army said in a statement that its forces "struck a Hamas command center from which terrorists operated", calling activity there "a violation of the ceasefire understandings between Israel and Lebanon" and a threat to Israel. 

The Israeli military "is operating against the entrenchment" of the Palestinian group in Lebanon and will "continue to act decisively against Hamas terrorists wherever they operate", it added. 

Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to halt more than a year of hostilities with Hezbollah. 

Israel has also struck targets belonging to Hezbollah's Palestinian ally Hamas, including in a raid on Ain al-Hilweh last November that killed 13 people. 

The UN rights office had said 11 children were killed in that strike, which Israel said targeted a Hamas training compound, though the group denied it had military installations in Palestinian camps in Lebanon. 

In October 2023, Hezbollah began launching rockets at Israel in support of Hamas at the outset of the Gaza war, triggering hostilities that culminated in two months of all-out war between Israel and the Iran-backed Lebanese group. 

On Sunday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country's east killed four people, as Israel said it targeted operatives from Palestinian group Islamic Jihad. 


UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.