Lebanese Opposition Intensifies Efforts to Agree on Presidential Candidate ahead of Jan. Election

The Lebanese parliament convenes to extend the term of Army Commander Joseph Aoun. (National News Agency)
The Lebanese parliament convenes to extend the term of Army Commander Joseph Aoun. (National News Agency)
TT

Lebanese Opposition Intensifies Efforts to Agree on Presidential Candidate ahead of Jan. Election

The Lebanese parliament convenes to extend the term of Army Commander Joseph Aoun. (National News Agency)
The Lebanese parliament convenes to extend the term of Army Commander Joseph Aoun. (National News Agency)

The Lebanese opposition has intensified its contacts and meetings in preparation for the presidential election set by parliament Speaker Nabih Berri for January 9.

Talks have focused on the potential presidential candidates and reaching an agreement on a figure who will be approved by rival forces, notably the Shiite duo of Hezbollah and Amal, which is led by Berri.

The duo has been the main party responsible for obstructing the election of a president in the past. Lebanon has been without a head of state since October 2022 when the term of Michel Aoun ended without the election of a successor.

French presidential envoy Jean-Yves Le Drian was in Lebanon last week to discuss the elections with local leaderships.

The election will be closely watched by the international community given the volatile regional situation and in wake of the ceasefire reached between Israel and Hezbollah.

Lebanese Forces MP Ghayath Yazbeck said the opposition is working tirelessly to come up with a candidate that would be accepted by the other camp.

He told Asharq Al-Awsat that former minister Jihad Azour may no longer be a suitable nominee given the different circumstances in the country and since the Shiite duo and their allies view him as a “contentious” candidate.

The other camp, on their end, must also avoid naming a candidate seen as “controversial” by the opposition, he remarked.

Even though Lebanon has been going through the presidential vacuum for over two years, the opposition is still coming up with the suitable characteristics of a candidate.

Yazbeck said the country needs a president who thoroughly understands economy and can carry out needed reforms. He must enjoy the trust of international institutions, including the International Monetary Funds and World Bank.

He revealed that it seems that Hezbollah and Amal are leaning towards abandoning the nomination of Marada Movement leader Suleiman Franjieh.

“The Lebanese Forces and opposition don’t want to fill the post with just any person. Rather, they want a president who believes in Lebanon’s sovereignty and who can carry out reforms, address thorny political and security ties, and rebuild bridges with Arab countries after the damage caused by the other camp,” he stressed.

On whether the LF backs the nomination of Army Commander Joseph Aoun, he replied that he remains a “strong candidate” and the LF does not oppose his run for the presidency.

Meanwhile, independent MP Michel Daher announced that he backs Aoun’s candidacy, explaining to Asharq Al-Awsat that he can “manage stability in Lebanon, which will in turn attract investments to the country.”

“A candidate with an economic background cannot create the desired security,” he remarked.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.