Biden Closely Coordinating With Trump to Reach Ceasefire, Hostage Deal in Gaza

Presidents Joe Biden and Donald Trump in the Oval Office of the White House last November 13 (Reuters)
Presidents Joe Biden and Donald Trump in the Oval Office of the White House last November 13 (Reuters)
TT

Biden Closely Coordinating With Trump to Reach Ceasefire, Hostage Deal in Gaza

Presidents Joe Biden and Donald Trump in the Oval Office of the White House last November 13 (Reuters)
Presidents Joe Biden and Donald Trump in the Oval Office of the White House last November 13 (Reuters)

The administration of US President Joe Biden is closely coordinating with the team of President-elect Donald Trump to ensure the success of the ongoing negotiations for a ceasefire in Gaza and the release of hostages between Israel and Hamas.
This close arrangement comes in the wake of a ceasefire deal in Lebanon and amid a major change in Syria, where Bashar Assad was overthrown over the weekend, ending a 50-year family dynasty.
The ongoing contacts between both teams also come a few weeks ahead of Trump’s January inauguration and while the Biden administration has initiated new diplomatic efforts to solve the crisis in the Gaza Strip.
In this regard, Secretary of State Antony Blinken is set to visit Jordan and Türkiye, while US national security adviser Jake Sullivan plans stops in Israel, Qatar and Egypt in the coming days, according to officials.
US officials said the Biden administration wants to finally reach a ceasefire in its final weeks in office, while Trump has a desire to start his second term with both the Lebanon and Gaza conflicts wrapped up and the hostages held by Hamas released. Ceasefire talks have repeatedly collapsed over the past few months, undermining efforts to bring an end to the violence.
Blinken is returning to the Middle East this week for his 12th visit since the outbreak of the Israel-Hamas war last year. This marks his first visit to the region since the ouster of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
Although his talks will focus largely on Syria, they will also touch on hopes for a deal to end the fighting in Gaza.
The State Department said Blinken would meet Jordanian officials, including King Abdullah II, in the port city of Aqaba on Thursday. He will fly after to Ankara for meetings with Turkish officials Friday.
Close Coordination
On Wednesday, five sources familiar with the conversations between both administrations told CNN there has been close coordination, with Trump’s team being kept apprised of the sensitive and painstaking work by Biden’s team.
They said the primary efforts are still being guided by Biden’s team and the two officials driving the ceasefire deal, CIA Director Bill Burns and the White House’s Brett McGurk.
Their counterpart in the Trump camp is Steve Witkoff, Trump’s recently named Middle East envoy.
Witkoff visited both Israel and Qatar at the end of November, two sources familiar with his travel said. In his meeting with the Qatari prime minister, a principal mediator of the talks, they discussed the war in Gaza and the potential for a ceasefire deal.
In a social media post last week, Trump proclaimed that he wanted the hostages to be released by the time he takes office, warning that otherwise: “There will be ALL HELL TO PAY in the Middle East, and for those in charge who perpetrated these atrocities against humanity.”
But Blinken sought to spin Trump’s warning, telling Reuters that the president-elect’s post was “a powerful reflection of the fact that we as Americans are determined to get the hostages back.”
“I think that’s a strong position across parties held by the United States, and we’re going to pursue every avenue we can in the time that we have left to try to get the hostages back and to get a ceasefire,” he added. “And I think the president-elect’s statement reinforces that.”
Despite sharp policy differences between Biden and Trump on countless issues, current administration officials have welcomed the president-elect’s support rather than seeing conflict in the work to try to support a hostage deal.
“Both the outgoing and incoming teams are in constant touch, so there will be a smooth transition,” national security adviser Jake Sullivan said Monday on CBS, adding that he spent “considerable time” briefing his expected successor, Republican Mike Waltz, on Syria over the weekend, according to CNN.
Possible Ceasefire
A year since the last truce in Gaza fell apart, participants in the talks are clear on their efforts but sober about their likelihood of success.
“I’m not going to sit here and describe the intricacies of the negotiations in public, but we very much believe a ceasefire is possible,” Jon Finer, Biden’s deputy national security adviser, said on CNN on Monday. “It’s a huge priority of this administration to try to achieve one.”
The other principal Middle East adviser Trump has named, Massad Boulos, said recently that the war is “practically over” and that only the question of a hostage deal remains, which should happen “immediately” and not be linked to any “day-after” plans.
“There might be some disagreement on certain Palestinians [to be released in the deal], but apart from that the two camps have agreed on the broad outlines of an agreement,” Boulos told French outlet Le Point.
The flurry of contact and travel by Biden and Trump officials will soon include a trip by Sullivan to Israel this week for talks on a range of issues, including Gaza. He follows James Rubin, a top deputy to Blinken, who visited Jerusalem last week.
Key members of Trump’s national security team – and the president-elect himself – have also been engaged with members of the Israeli government, including Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Incoming national security adviser Waltz recently met in Washington with Netanyahu’s closest aide, Ron Dermer, according to one source familiar with the meeting.
The framework again under discussion reflects earlier efforts spearheaded by the Biden administration, Qatar and Egypt, in which a first “humanitarian” phase would see the remaining female, elderly and wounded hostages be released in exchange for hundreds of Palestinian prisoners.
Türkiye is now involved in the discussions since Qatar closed the Hamas political office in Doha and much of the negotiating team decamped to Türkiye, according to a diplomat involved in the talks.

 



Rafah Crossing Traffic Lags Two Weeks after Reopening

Humanitarian and relief aid crosses Rafah Crossing (Egyptian Red Crescent)
Humanitarian and relief aid crosses Rafah Crossing (Egyptian Red Crescent)
TT

Rafah Crossing Traffic Lags Two Weeks after Reopening

Humanitarian and relief aid crosses Rafah Crossing (Egyptian Red Crescent)
Humanitarian and relief aid crosses Rafah Crossing (Egyptian Red Crescent)

Despite nearly two weeks since the reopening of the Rafah crossing in both directions, the number of people and humanitarian aid entering the Gaza Strip falls short of what was agreed under the “Gaza ceasefire agreement,” according to an official from the Egyptian Red Crescent in North Sinai.

The daily movement of individuals to and from Gaza does not exceed 50 people, Khaled Zayed, head of the Egyptian Red Crescent in North Sinai, told Asharq Al-Awsat. He said this figure represents only one-third of what was agreed upon in the ceasefire deal.

He added that truck traffic stands at about 100 per day, despite Gaza’s population requiring the entry of around 600 trucks daily.

On Feb. 2, Israel reopened the Rafah crossing on the Palestinian side for individual travel, allowing Palestinians to leave and return to the enclave. Indicators show that most of those departing Gaza are patients and wounded individuals, who are being received at Egyptian hospitals.

This comes as Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty stressed the need to “ensure the unhindered delivery of humanitarian aid and not obstruct movement through the Rafah crossing.”

In his remarks during a ministerial Security Council session on developments in the Middle East on Wednesday, he underscored the importance of “halting all measures aimed at displacing residents or altering the demographic character of the occupied Palestinian territories.”

Israel took control of the Rafah border crossing in May 2024, about nine months after the outbreak of the war in Gaza. The reopening of the crossing was part of the first phase of the ceasefire agreement that entered into force last October, though the deal remains fragile.

The Egyptian Red Crescent announced the departure of the 14th group of wounded, sick, and injured Palestinians arriving and leaving through the crossing.

In a statement on Thursday, it said humanitarian efforts to receive and see off Palestinians include a comprehensive package of relief services, psychological support for children, distribution of suhoor and iftar meals, and heavy clothing, in addition to providing “return bags” for those heading back to Gaza.

At the same time, the Red Crescent dispatched the 142nd “Zad Al-Ezza” convoy, which includes 197,000 food parcels and more than 235 tons of flour as part of the “Iftar for One Million Fasters” campaign in Gaza.

The convoy also carries more than 390 tons of medicines, relief, and personal care supplies, as well as about 760 tons of fuel, according to the organization’s statement.

Zayed said the daily number of individuals crossing through Rafah over the past two weeks does not compare with what was stipulated in the ceasefire agreement.

With the reopening of the Rafah crossing on the Palestinian side, Israel’s Arabic-language public broadcaster Makan reported that 150 people were expected to leave Gaza, including 50 patients, while 50 people would be allowed to enter the enclave.

Despite what he described as Israeli obstacles, Zayed said allowing the movement of individuals and the wounded represents “an unsatisfactory breakthrough in the humanitarian situation in Gaza,” stressing the need to fulfill the ceasefire’s obligations and advance early recovery efforts inside the territory.

The total number of Palestinians who have left through the Rafah crossing since it reopened on both sides does not exceed 1,000, according to Salah Abdel Ati, head of the International Commission to Support Palestinian Rights.

He said around 20,000 wounded and sick Palestinians require urgent evacuation, and that Israeli restrictions are hindering access to medical care, adding that the humanitarian situation requires continued pressure by mediators on Israel.

Abdelatty told Asharq Al-Awsat he was counting on the outcome of the first meeting of the Board of Peace to adopt easing measures, including lifting Israeli restrictions and establishing guarantees for the ceasefire in the Palestinian territories, as well as securing the funding needed for Gaza’s early recovery, in line with US President Donald Trump’s peace plan for the enclave.

According to a statement by the Egyptian Red Crescent, Egypt continues relief efforts at all logistical hubs to facilitate the entry of humanitarian aid, which has exceeded 800,000 tons, with the participation of more than 65,000 volunteers from the Egyptian Red Crescent.


US Slaps Sanctions on Sudan’s RSF Commanders over El-Fasher Killings

FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
TT

US Slaps Sanctions on Sudan’s RSF Commanders over El-Fasher Killings

FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)

The United States announced sanctions on Thursday on three Sudanese Rapid Support Forces (RSF) commanders over their roles in the "horrific campaign" of the siege and capture of El-Fasher.

The US Treasury said the RSF carried out "ethnic killings, torture, starvation, and sexual violence" in the operation.

Earlier Thursday, the UN's independent fact-finding mission on Sudan said the siege and seizure of the city in Darfur bore "the hallmarks of genocide."

Its investigation concluded that the seizure last October had inflicted "three days of absolute horror," and called for those responsible to be brought to justice.

"The United States calls on the Rapid Support Forces to commit to a humanitarian ceasefire immediately," US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said in a statement.

"We will not tolerate this ongoing campaign of terror and senseless killing in Sudan."

The Treasury noted that the three sanctioned individuals were part of the RSF's 18-month siege of and eventual capture of El-Fasher.

They are RSF Brigadier General Elfateh Abdullah Idris Adam, Major General Gedo Hamdan Ahmed Mohamed and field commander Tijani Ibrahim Moussa Mohamed.

Bessent warned that Sudan's civil war risks further destabilizing the region, "creating conditions for terrorist groups to grow and threaten the safety and interests of the United States."

The UN probe into the takeover of El-Fasher -- after the 18-month siege -- concluded that thousands of people, particularly from the Zaghawa ethnic group, "were killed, raped or disappeared."


Israel's Netanyahu Says No Reconstruction of Gaza before Demilitarization

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
TT

Israel's Netanyahu Says No Reconstruction of Gaza before Demilitarization

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Thursday there would be no reconstruction of war-shattered Gaza before the disarmament of Hamas, as the "Board of Peace" convened for its inaugural meeting in Washington.

Around two dozen world leaders and senior officials met for the first meeting of the board, which was set up after the United States, Qatar and Egypt negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of war in the Gaza Strip.

"We agreed with our ally the US there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said during a televised speech at a military ceremony on Thursday, AFP reported.

The meeting in Washington will also look at how to launch the International Stabilization Force (ISF) that will ensure security in Gaza.

One of the most sensitive issues before the board is the future of the Islamist movement Hamas, which fought the war with Israel and still exerts influence in the territory.

Disarmament of the group is a central Israeli demand and a key point in negotiations over the ceasefire's next stage.

US officials including Steve Witkoff, Trump's friend and roving negotiator, have insisted that solid progress is being made and that Hamas is feeling pressure to give up weapons.

Israel has suggested sweeping restrictions including seizing small personal rifles from Hamas.

It remains unclear whether, or how, the Palestinian technocratic committee formed to handle day-to-day governance of Gaza will address the issue of demilitarization.

The 15-member National Committee for the Administration of Gaza (NCAG) will operate under the supervision of the "Board of Peace", and its head, Ali Shaath, is attending the meeting in Washington on Thursday.