Clashes Intensify between SDF, Türkiye-Backed Factions in Syria

US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighters stand guard at Al-Naeem Square, in Raqqa, Syria, Monday, Feb. 7, 2022. (AP)
US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighters stand guard at Al-Naeem Square, in Raqqa, Syria, Monday, Feb. 7, 2022. (AP)
TT

Clashes Intensify between SDF, Türkiye-Backed Factions in Syria

US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighters stand guard at Al-Naeem Square, in Raqqa, Syria, Monday, Feb. 7, 2022. (AP)
US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighters stand guard at Al-Naeem Square, in Raqqa, Syria, Monday, Feb. 7, 2022. (AP)

Clashes intensified between the pro-Türkiye Free Syrian Army (FSA) and US-backed Kurdish Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) in northern and northeastern Syria.

Fighting was reported in the Manbij countryside in Aleppo’s eastern countryside. The SDF is attempting to recapture Manbij after losing it to the factions earlier this month.

Meanwhile, Turkish drones struck SDF positions near the Tishrin Dam. The warring partis also traded artillery and rocket fire, leaving six FSA and three SDF members dead, said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights on Sunday.

Eighteen days of fighting have left 152 civilians and combatants dead, said the Observatory.

Amid the clashes, gunmen from the Peace Spring Operation factions in northeastern Syria are seeking to return to their original areas now that the Syrian regime has been toppled. The leaders of the factions are, however, arresting any member who refuses to continue to fight or attempts to leave to the area they came from.

Meanwhile, the US-led anti-ISIS international coalition and the SDF held joint training exercises in the Qasrak base in the Hasakeh countryside.

Fighters were trained in the use of heavy weapons and raising their combat readiness.

The coalition continues to bolster its military capabilities in north and eastern Syria and it regularly brings in military reinforcements to the region.

On Saturday, they brought in 50 trucks loaded with armored vehicles and logistic support material. Arriving through the al-Walid crossing with the Iraqi Kurdistan Region, the trucks headed to the coalition bases in northern and eastern Syria.

The US views the People’s Protection Units (YPG) - the largest group of the SDF – as a close ally in the fight against ISIS, stoking tensions with Ankara that views the group as terrorist and an extension of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK).

Ankara wants to eliminate the presence of the Kurdish group in northern and eastern Syria.



Reports: US to Withdraw All Troops from Syria

A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)
A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)
TT

Reports: US to Withdraw All Troops from Syria

A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)
A US Army patrol in the Syrian city of Qamishli (Reuters file photo)

The United States is planning to withdraw all of its 1,000 troops from Syria over the next two months, according to US media reports.

Washington will end its presence in the country after the Syrian government extended its control over the country and the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces once key to fighting ISIS pledged to integrate into the state, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Television network CBS also reported on the plan, citing unnamed US officials.

The decision comes after US forces recently withdrew from some bases
in Syria including Al-Tanf and Al-Shadadi, which were used in the US-led international coalition's fight against ISIS, AFP reported.

The US is building up its military capabilities near Iran, where officials have vowed to respond to any attack by laying siege to American military outposts in the region.

US media reported Wednesday that Washington will be ready to launch strikes against Iran as early as this weekend, though Trump has reportedly not made a final decision yet.

The Pentagon did not immediately respond to a request for comment.


Canada Eases Sanctions on Syria

13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa
13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa
TT

Canada Eases Sanctions on Syria

13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa
13 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, arrives at the Bavarian Hof for the 62nd Munich Security Conference. Photo: Felix Hörhager/dpa

Canadian Minister of Foreign Affairs Anita Anand said on Wednesday that Canada had amended its economic sanctions on Syria ‌to ease ‌restrictions related ‌to the ⁠import and export ⁠of goods, investment activities and the provision of financial and other ⁠services, according to Reuters.

"The amendments also ‌remove ‌24 entities and ‌one individual from ‌the Syria Regulations to reduce barriers to economic activity and ‌to enable transactions with state-affiliated entities ⁠in ⁠key sectors critical to Syria’s recovery," Anand said in a statement.


Tetteh: Despite UN Engagement, No Progress in Libya Roadmap

Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
TT

Tetteh: Despite UN Engagement, No Progress in Libya Roadmap

Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)
Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh Getty)

The UN’s top envoy for Libya, Hanna Tetteh, has informed the Security Council that despite active United Nations engagement, the Libyan House of Representatives and the High Council of State have failed to make progress on the first steps of the agreed political roadmap, including establishing a mechanism to select the board of the High National Elections Commission (HNEC) and advancing electoral legislation.

Briefing the Council in New York on Wednesday, the Special Representative of the Secretary-General said: “Their inability to use their agreed mechanism and follow-on unilateral actions has further eroded their credibility."

Tetteh added that Libyan public perceptions reflect a growing belief that the bodies are “unable or unwilling” to deliver.

She told Council members that she has begun consultations with key actors on an alternative two-step approach aimed at restoring momentum. Should a smaller group of Libyan representatives fail to agree on the roadmap’s milestones, she warned, a broader convening would be required. “We cannot wait indefinitely,” she emphasized.

The UN envoy also issued a stark warning about escalating tensions within Libya’s judicial system.

She said “contradictory, parallel judicial decisions put into jeopardy the unity of the legal and judicial systems,” cautioning that the situation “is a red line that if crossed can undermine the unity of the state.”

She urged Libyan leaders to refrain from further escalatory steps and called on the Council to hold accountable those taking actions that threaten to fracture the judiciary.

Tetteh also warned that transnational criminal networks continue to expand, turning Libya into a major transit hub for drug trafficking and sustaining illicit economies linked to corruption and armed groups.