Macron Announces Aid Conference to Rebuild Lebanon, Urges Faster Israeli Pullout from South

France’s President Emmanuel Macron (C-L) meets with Lebanon's new President Joseph Aoun (C-R), Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri (L) and outgoing Prime Minister Najib Mikati at the presidential palace in Baabda on January 17, 2025. (AFP)
France’s President Emmanuel Macron (C-L) meets with Lebanon's new President Joseph Aoun (C-R), Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri (L) and outgoing Prime Minister Najib Mikati at the presidential palace in Baabda on January 17, 2025. (AFP)
TT

Macron Announces Aid Conference to Rebuild Lebanon, Urges Faster Israeli Pullout from South

France’s President Emmanuel Macron (C-L) meets with Lebanon's new President Joseph Aoun (C-R), Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri (L) and outgoing Prime Minister Najib Mikati at the presidential palace in Baabda on January 17, 2025. (AFP)
France’s President Emmanuel Macron (C-L) meets with Lebanon's new President Joseph Aoun (C-R), Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri (L) and outgoing Prime Minister Najib Mikati at the presidential palace in Baabda on January 17, 2025. (AFP)

France's president said Friday that Paris will soon host an aid conference to help rebuild Lebanon after the Israel-Hezbollah war last year, as he visited Beirut in a show of support for Lebanon's new leaders.  

After a vacancy of more than two years, Joseph Aoun was elected president on January 9 and named Nawaf Salam as prime minister-designate.  

"In the middle of winter, spring has sprung," Macron said at a joint press conference with his Lebanese counterpart.

"You are this hope," he said, referring to Aoun and Salam.

The new prime minister faces the monumental task of forming a government to oversee reconstruction after the Israel-Hezbollah conflict ended in November, and implement reforms demanded by international creditors in return for a desperately needed financial bailout.  

"As soon as the president (Aoun) comes to Paris in a few weeks' time, we will organize around him an international reconstruction conference to drum up funding," Macron said.

"The international community must prepare for massive support to the reconstruction of infrastructure."  

Aoun stressed the "importance of consolidating the ceasefire and Israel's withdrawal", the Lebanese presidency posted on X.

He also called on Macron to ask TotalEnergies to resume offshore energy exploration in Lebanese waters. TotalEnergies is part of a consortium including Italian energy group Eni and state-owned QatarEnergy.

Analysts say Hezbollah's weakening in the war last year allowed Lebanon's deeply divided parliament to elect Aoun and back his naming of Salam as premier.  

The overthrow of Syrian president Bashar al-Assad by opposition factions on December 8 has also contributed to the dawn of a new era for its tiny neighbor.  

- 'Long-lasting' ceasefire -  

France administered Lebanon for two decades after World War I, and the two countries have maintained close relations.

Earlier in the day, Macron strolled through the Gemmayzeh neighborhood, near the port of Beirut, posing for photographs and selfies with eager members of the public, and downing small cups of coffee offered to him along the way.  

He had been the first foreign leader to visit the neighborhood after it was devastated by a massive explosion at the port on August 4, 2020.  

Four years later, Lebanese pushed through the crowd to speak to him.  

"Please help us to form a new government able to bring my daughter back to Lebanon," one woman said, explaining her child had moved to France to study after being wounded in the huge blast.  

"Lebanon is dear to my heart," Macron replied.  

Families of the more than 22 people killed in the explosion are hopeful after a long-stalled inquiry into the disaster resumed on Thursday.  

Macron said he would later meet UN chief Antonio Guterres, as a January 26 deadline to fully implement the Hezbollah-Israel ceasefire approaches.  

With just over a week to go, he called for accelerated implementation of the truce.  

"There have been results... but they must be accelerated and long-lasting. There needs to be complete withdrawal of Israeli forces, and the Lebanese army must hold a total monopoly of any weapons" in south Lebanon, he said.  

"We support... the increased power of the Lebanese armed forces and their deployment in the south," he added. "The Lebanese armed forces constitute a pillar of the sovereignty of Lebanon."

Under the terms of the deal, the Lebanese army is to deploy alongside UN peacekeepers in the south as the Israeli army withdraws.  

At the same time, Hezbollah is required to dismantle any remaining military infrastructure it has in the south and pull its forces back north of the Litani River, some 30 kilometers (20 miles) from the border.  

- 'Continued occupation' -  

Speaking to UN peacekeepers in south Lebanon, Guterres urged an end to Israel's "continued occupation" and "military operations" in south Lebanon.

He also said that UN peacekeepers "uncovered over 100 weapons caches belonging to Hezbollah or other armed groups since the November 27 ceasefire.  

He added that the "presence of armed personnel, assets and weapons" other than those of the Lebanese army and UN peacekeepers violated the terms of the UN Security Council resolution that formed the basis for the deal.  

Salam, a former presiding judge at the International Court of Justice, has been holding delicate consultations to pick a government, with Hezbollah continuing to play an important role in Lebanese politics despite its weakening on the battlefield.  

Hezbollah is the only group in Lebanon that did not surrender its weapons to the state following the 1975-1990 civil war.  

Backed by Syria under Assad, it has played a key role in politics for decades, flexing its power in government institutions while engaging in fighting with the Israeli military.  

The UN Security Council called Thursday for Lebanese leaders to rapidly form a new government, describing it as a "critical" step for stability in the war-battered region.



Israel Military Issues Fresh Evacuation Warnings for South Lebanon

Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli airstrike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Burj el-Shmali on on May 19, 2026. (AFP)
Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli airstrike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Burj el-Shmali on on May 19, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Israel Military Issues Fresh Evacuation Warnings for South Lebanon

Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli airstrike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Burj el-Shmali on on May 19, 2026. (AFP)
Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli airstrike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Burj el-Shmali on on May 19, 2026. (AFP)

The Israeli military on Tuesday warned residents of 12 towns and villages in southern Lebanon to immediately evacuate ahead of expected attacks against Hezbollah, the latest despite a ceasefire.

"Hezbollah's continued violations of the ceasefire compel the army to operate against it. The army does not intend to harm you. For your safety, we urge you to distance yourself from the area and immediately move at least 1,000 meters away," the military's Arabic-language spokesman Avichay Adraee posted on X.

Lebanon's state-run National News Agency reported a new series of Israeli strikes targeting several locations in southern Lebanon on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, Hezbollah said in a statement that it had targeted a gathering of soldiers and vehicles in northern Israel with "a swarm of attack drones."

The Iran-backed group also claimed responsibility for new attacks against Israeli forces operating inside Lebanese territory.

The Israeli military said that following sirens in several areas of northern Israel, a drone "that crossed from Lebanon to Israeli territory was intercepted".

Since the start of the ceasefire on April 17, Israel has continued to launch strikes, carry out demolitions and issue evacuation orders in south Lebanon, saying it is targeting the group.

Hezbollah has also continued operations against Israeli forces in southern Lebanon and northern Israel.

On Monday, the Lebanese health ministry said the death toll from Israeli strikes since the start of the war on March 2 had reached 3,020.

The Israeli military says it has lost 20 soldiers and one civilian contractor in southern Lebanon since the war began.


Palestinians in Gaza Mark Anniversary of Nakba, Say Today’s Catastrophe Is Worse

Palestinians inspect the site of an Israeli strike on a house that was pre-warned by the Israeli military to evacuate before the strike was carried out late on Monday, in Jabalia refugee camp in the northern Gaza Strip May 19, 2026. (Reuters)
Palestinians inspect the site of an Israeli strike on a house that was pre-warned by the Israeli military to evacuate before the strike was carried out late on Monday, in Jabalia refugee camp in the northern Gaza Strip May 19, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Palestinians in Gaza Mark Anniversary of Nakba, Say Today’s Catastrophe Is Worse

Palestinians inspect the site of an Israeli strike on a house that was pre-warned by the Israeli military to evacuate before the strike was carried out late on Monday, in Jabalia refugee camp in the northern Gaza Strip May 19, 2026. (Reuters)
Palestinians inspect the site of an Israeli strike on a house that was pre-warned by the Israeli military to evacuate before the strike was carried out late on Monday, in Jabalia refugee camp in the northern Gaza Strip May 19, 2026. (Reuters)

Blink and you might miss the few stone walls that are all that’s left of the village that Yusuf Abu Hamam’s family was forced to flee when he was an infant in 1948.

The village, al-Joura, was demolished by the Israeli military at the time. It has since vanished under neighborhoods of the southern Israeli city of Ashkelon and the grounds of a national park.

The neighborhood where Abu Hamam’s family ended up — and where he spent most of his life — now lies also largely in ruins. Buildings in the Shati Camp in the northern Gaza Strip have been razed and wrecked by Israeli bombardment and demolitions during the past 2½ years of war.

On Friday, Abu Hamam and millions of Palestinians mark the 78th anniversary of the Nakba, Arabic for “catastrophe,” referring to the mass expulsion and flight of some 750,000 Palestinians from what is now Israel during the 1948 war surrounding Israel’s creation. It’s the third commemoration of the Nakba since the war in Gaza began.

The 78-year-old Abu Hamam, one of a dwindling number of Nakba survivors, says the current war is an even greater catastrophe.

Israel’s military has pushed deep into Gaza, now controlling 60% of the territory, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Friday, during a Jerusalem Day celebration.

"Today it is 60%, tomorrow we will see, tomorrow we will see,” he told a cheering crowd in Jerusalem.

More than six months after an October ceasefire, Gaza’s more than 2 million people are now crammed into less than half of the 25-mile-long strip along the Mediterranean coast, surrounded by the Israeli-controlled zone.

“There is no country left,” Abu Hamam said, speaking next to his home, which was heavily damaged by Israeli shelling earlier in the war. “A square kilometer and a half extending from the sea, this is what we are living in ... It’s indescribable, unbearable.”

For Palestinians, the Nakba meant the loss of most of their homeland. Some 80% of the Palestinians who lived in the area that became Israel were driven from their homes by forces of the nascent state before and during the war. The fighting began when Arab armies attacked following Israel’s establishment as a home for Jews in the wake of the Holocaust. Palestinians who remained behind hold Israeli citizenship.

After the war, Israel refused to allow Palestinian refugees to return to ensure a Jewish majority within its borders. Palestinians became a seemingly permanent refugee community that now numbers some 6 million, with most living in refugee camps in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, Lebanon, Syria, Jordan and Gaza.

Around 530 Palestinian villages in what became Israel were destroyed, according to the Palestinian Bureau of Statistics.

Abu Hamam’s birth village was one of them. Al-Joura was seized by the Israeli military as it advanced against Egyptian forces in November 1948. Soldiers were ordered to destroy every home in al-Joura and neighboring villages to ensure their Palestinian populations couldn’t come back, according to military archives cited by Israeli historian Benny Morris.

Refugees swelled the population of the tiny patch of territory along the southern coast that became the Gaza Strip. They stayed in tent camps, run by a newly created UN agency for Palestinians, UNRWA, which provided aid and schooling. Those camps, like Abu Hamam’s Shati Camp, grew into dense urban neighborhoods over the decades, before many were flattened during the latest Gaza war by Israeli bombardment.

In Gaza, Palestinians say they live a new Nakba

The ancestors of Ne’man Abu Jarad and his wife, Majida, were already living in what would become the Gaza Strip in 1948. They both recall stories from their families about refugees streaming in by foot from areas further north, like the village Abu Hamam came from.

Though they avoided the original Nakba, there was no escaping from what Majida now calls “our Nakba.”

Their hometown has been wiped off the map. Over the past year, Israeli bulldozers and controlled detonations have razed nearly every building in the northern Gaza towns of Beit Lahiya and Beit Hanoun. A new Israeli military base stands about 700 meters (765 yards) from where the Abu Jarads’ house once stood, according to satellite photos.

Also gone is the southern Gaza city of Rafah, once home to a quarter million people, and other villages and neighborhoods located in the Israeli-held half of the Gaza Strip. The military says it is destroying positions used by Hamas and preparing the area for reconstruction. Satellite photos show nearly every structure reduced to rubble.

Over the last 31 months of war, the Abu Jarads and their six daughters have been displaced more than a dozen times as they fled Israeli bombardment and offensives. They currently live in a camp in the southern city of Khan Younis. Their tent offers little shelter from biting winter winds or summer heat, Majida said.

Their daughters have been out of school for over two years now.

“The Nakba of ’48, I don’t think it can be compared to our Nakba,” Majida said. “In ’48, they say people were displaced once and settled in one place, and they are still there until now. But our Nakba, honestly, is more severe because our displacement has happened multiple times. There is no stability.”

Around 90% of Gaza’s more than 2 million people have lost their homes, according to UN estimates, with most of them now sheltering in huge tent camps with rat infestations and pools of sewage. They are dependent on aid to survive.

Israel’s offensive has killed over 72,700 Palestinians, according to local health officials. It was triggered by Hamas’ Oct. 7, 2023, attack on southern Israel that killed some 1,200 people. Militants also abducted 251 hostages.

In the northern West Bank, tens of thousands of Palestinians are entering their 15th month of displacement, after the Israeli military ordered them out of their refugee camps as it launched an operation it said was targeting militant groups.

Since then, troops have demolished or heavily damaged at least 850 structures across the refugee camps of Nur Shams, Jenin and Tulkarem, according to an analysis of satellite imagery by Human Rights Watch released in December.

Saving what was lost, again and again

The 1948 Nakba also brought the loss of Palestinians’ history, as those fleeing struggled to keep hold of the documents and possessions tying them to their homes.

One of the largest archives of Palestinian documents dating back to the Nakba belongs to UNRWA.

UNRWA staff members, who fled their offices in Gaza after Israel ordered the north evacuated, had to leave behind the agency’s extensive archive.

The staff then launched a mission to rescue the most crucial documents — birth, death and marriage certificates and refugee registration cards, according to Juliette Touma, a former senior UNRWA official.

Without those documents, Palestinians could lose their rights and refugee status. Staffers crammed their personal suitcases full of papers and carried them through checkpoints and out of the territory, Touma said.

The current war has cost Palestinians in Gaza what little remained of their personal histories. Majida’s parents’ home in Beit Hanoun was destroyed, and with it family photos.

“There is nothing left,” she said.

Abu Hamam, too, says everything has been lost.

“When this war came, it devoured trees, stones and people,” he said. “Entire families were erased from the civil registry. Hundreds of families are still buried under the rubble.”


Syrian Soldier Killed, 18 People Wounded by Car Bomb in Damascus

 Syrian security personnel inspect the site of an explosion outside a Defense Ministry building in Damascus, Syria, Tuesday, May 19, 2026. (AP)
Syrian security personnel inspect the site of an explosion outside a Defense Ministry building in Damascus, Syria, Tuesday, May 19, 2026. (AP)
TT

Syrian Soldier Killed, 18 People Wounded by Car Bomb in Damascus

 Syrian security personnel inspect the site of an explosion outside a Defense Ministry building in Damascus, Syria, Tuesday, May 19, 2026. (AP)
Syrian security personnel inspect the site of an explosion outside a Defense Ministry building in Damascus, Syria, Tuesday, May 19, 2026. (AP)

One Syrian soldier was killed and at least 18 people were wounded by a car bomb that exploded on Tuesday outside a Defense ‌Ministry building in ‌Damascus, authorities said.

Soldiers ‌had ⁠discovered a different ⁠bomb near the building in the capital's Bab Sharqi district and were trying to dismantle it ⁠when the car ‌bomb ‌went off nearby, the ‌Defense Ministry said in ‌a statement carried by state media.

The head of Syria's ambulance ‌and emergency directorate, Najib al-Nassan, told state-owned agency ⁠SANA ⁠that 18 injured people had been taken to hospitals after the explosion.

No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.