Hezbollah Provocations Spark Condemnation in Lebanon, Refusal to Be Drawn to Strife

Residents of the southern Lebanese village of Kfar Kila parade with Hezbollah flags on the Burj al-Muoluk road on the outskirts of their village on January 27, 2025. (AFP)
Residents of the southern Lebanese village of Kfar Kila parade with Hezbollah flags on the Burj al-Muoluk road on the outskirts of their village on January 27, 2025. (AFP)
TT

Hezbollah Provocations Spark Condemnation in Lebanon, Refusal to Be Drawn to Strife

Residents of the southern Lebanese village of Kfar Kila parade with Hezbollah flags on the Burj al-Muoluk road on the outskirts of their village on January 27, 2025. (AFP)
Residents of the southern Lebanese village of Kfar Kila parade with Hezbollah flags on the Burj al-Muoluk road on the outskirts of their village on January 27, 2025. (AFP)

Hezbollah supporters have resorted to provocative rallies in several areas in Beirut, Mount Lebanon and the South to "deliver messages" to President Joseph Aoun and Prime Minister-designate Nawaf Salam.

Supporters of the Iran-backed party have since Sunday mobilized motorcycle convoys, with riders raising Hezbollah flags and chanting sectarian slogans, in areas that are opposed to the party.

Hezbollah had constantly employed such methods to deliver security messages whenever Lebanon was in the process of meeting political deadlines, such as the formation of a government as is the case at the moment.

The first fallout from the provocations was United Arab Emirates businessman Khalaf Ahmad Al Habtoor, the head of Dubai conglomerate Al Habtoor Group, announcing on Tuesday that he had cancelled all planned investments in Lebanon due to continuing instability, and would sell all his properties and investments in the country.

Al Habtoor said in a statement that the unrest and instability in Lebanon by "factions loyal to armed militias in the country paint a grim picture."

"The continued dominance of armed militias (the Shiite militias) and the failure to establish rule of law make it impossible for any investor to proceed with confidence in such an environment," he said.

Last week, Al Habtoor had expressed an intention to invest in Lebanon once a new government was formed.

Provocative convoys

The motorcycle convoys had departed from Beirut’s southern suburbs, known as Dahieh, a Hezbollah stronghold. They headed to several neighborhoods in the capital that are known for their opposition to the party.

The same scenes took place in the Christian town of Maghdouche in the South, leading to a scuffle between the motorists and locals.

On Monday, the locals awoke to Hezbollah slogans spraypainted over their town’s entrance sign.

Similar provocations took place in Christian-majority regions in Mount Lebanon, drawing condemnation from Christian parties and their supporters.

The Lebanese army had announced the arrest of several of the motorists.

In statement, it said that it carried out the arrests after "some citizens, riding on motorcycles, rode around several Lebanese regions while carrying party flags, firing gunshots and chanting provocative slogans."

It added that it deployed patrols to "prevent the undermining of security and stability", calling on the people to "act responsibly to protect national unity and coexistence."

Amal warns against provocations

The Amal movement – a close Hezbollah ally – notably warned its supporters against joining the Hezbollah convoys.

In a statement, it warned them against taking part in "any provocative act that goes against the orders of the movement command, which calls for respecting all Lebanese people regardless of their sect."

It specifically cautioned against "joining motorcycle convoys or carrying out any provocative act and chanting sectarian slogans that violate the movement’s treaty and vision."

Any violators will risk being expelled from the movement, it added.

The provocations were discussed by parliament Speaker and Amal movement leader Nabih Berri and deputy Speaker Elias Bou Saab at Ain el-Tineh.

Bou Saab said these convoys "only serve the enemy (Israel). I hope they can be stopped because everyone in Lebanon took in the residents of the South and Dahieh" during Israel’s war on Hezbollah.

He described the convoys as "unacceptable", stressing the need for unity with residents of the South who bore the brunt of the Israeli war.

Unity cannot be achieved through such provocations, he remarked.

No to strife

Hezbollah’s opponents are in agreement in rejecting the rallies, declaring that they will not be dragged to strife and saying that the army will maintain calm.

Lebanese Forces sources said the convoys are clearly aimed at sending messages to the president and PM-designate.

"The state may have opened a new chapter, but one team is still acting arrogantly and refuses to acknowledge these changes. So, it has resorted to delivering messages that say that it represents de facto powers, and it will continue to act this way," they told Asharq Al-Awsat.

Another message aims to impose conditions on the formation of the new government and drafting of its ministerial statement to include the "army, people and resistance (Hezbollah)" term, it went on to say.

Regardless of the provocations, the sources stressed that the LF will not be lured to strife and it will continue to turn to the army to maintain stability, noting its statement and arrest of some of the motorists.

Kataeb Party MP Salim al-Sayegh condemned the convoys, saying: "We will not play Hezbollah’s game no matter the cost."

"We will not be dragged towards terrorist methods they are using against the residents of Beirut and Mount Lebanon," he said in televised remarks. "We are adhering to the state and laws and banking on the army."

"Confronting Israel does not take place in Beirut and Mount Lebanon. They cannot make up for their heavy losses (in the war) by striking ‘victories’ against their fellow countrymen," he added.

MP Michel Mouawad condemned Hezbollah, stressing: "We will always choose partnership while respecting the state, its sovereignty and constitution."

"No matter what, we will not yield to those who believe they can break the will of the Lebanese people through extortion, domineering methods and accusations of treason," he said on the X platform.

Head of the Free Patriotic Movement MP Gebran Bassil – a former Hezbollah ally – condemned the provocations. The residents of the South were "heroic" as they returned to their homes on Sunday, while "sectarian provocations that night only served to tarnish this heroism," he said in a post on the X on Monday.

He added that the sectarian provocations only serve to "deepen the divisions and advocates of this division. Extremism only leads to extremism and Lebanon will be the loser in the end."



How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)

As Hamas moves to strike armed gangs operating in areas of the Gaza Strip under Israeli army control, the groups are responding with defiance, stepping up efforts to recruit young men and expand their ranks.

Videos posted on social media show training exercises and other activities, signaling that the gangs remain active despite pressure from Hamas security services.

Platforms affiliated with Hamas security say some members have recently turned themselves in following mediation by families, clans and community leaders. The gangs have not responded to those statements. Instead, they occasionally broadcast footage announcing new recruits.

Among the most prominent was Hamza Mahra, a Hamas activist who appeared weeks ago in a video released by the Shawqi Abu Nasira gang, which operates north of Khan Younis and east of Deir al-Balah.

Mahra’s appearance has raised questions about how these groups recruit members inside the enclave.

Field sources and others within the security apparatus of a Palestinian armed faction in Gaza told Asharq Al-Awsat that Mahra’s case may be an exception. They described him as a Hamas activist with no major role, despite his grandfather being among the founders of Hamas in Jabalia.

His decision to join the gang was driven by personal reasons linked to a family dispute, they said, not by organizational considerations.

The sources said the gangs exploit severe economic hardship, luring some young men with money, cigarettes and other incentives. Some recruits were heavily indebted and fled to gang-controlled areas to avoid repaying creditors.

Others joined in search of narcotic pills, the sources said, noting that some had previously been detained by Hamas-run security forces on similar charges. Economic hardship and the need for cigarettes and drugs were among the main drivers of recruitment, they added, saying the gangs, with Israeli backing, provide such supplies.

Resentment toward Hamas has also played a role, particularly among those previously arrested on criminal or security grounds and subjected to what the sources described as limited torture during interrogations under established procedures.

According to the sources, some founders or current leaders of the gangs previously served in the Palestinian Authority security services.

They cited Shawqi Abu Nasira, a senior police officer; Hussam al-Astal, an officer in the Preventive Security Service; and Rami Helles and Ashraf al-Mansi, both former officers in the Palestinian Presidential Guard.

These figures, the sources said, approach young men in need and at times succeed in recruiting them by promising help in settling debts and providing cigarettes. They also tell recruits that joining will secure them a future role in security forces that would later govern Gaza.

The sources described the case of a young man who surrendered to Gaza security services last week. He said he had been pressured after a phone call with a woman who threatened to publish the recording unless he joined one of the gangs.

He later received assurances from another contact that he would help repay some of his debts and ultimately agreed to enlist.

During questioning, he said the leader of the gang he joined east of Gaza City repeatedly assured recruits they would be “part of the structure of any Palestinian security force that will rule the sector.”

The young man told investigators he was unconvinced by those assurances, as were dozens of others in the same group.

Investigations of several individuals who surrendered, along with field data, indicate the gangs have carried out armed missions on behalf of the Israeli army, including locating tunnels. That has led to ambushes by Palestinian factions.

In the past week, clashes in the Zaytoun neighborhood south of Gaza City and near al-Masdar east of Deir al-Balah left gang members dead and wounded.

Some investigations also found that the gangs recruited young men previously involved in looting humanitarian aid.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.