Jordan Shifts Strategy Against Muslim Brotherhood Following Plot to ‘Stir Chaos’

Jordanian government spokesman Mohammad Momani announces details of terrorist cell arrests in Amman on Tuesday. (Petra)
Jordanian government spokesman Mohammad Momani announces details of terrorist cell arrests in Amman on Tuesday. (Petra)
TT

Jordan Shifts Strategy Against Muslim Brotherhood Following Plot to ‘Stir Chaos’

Jordanian government spokesman Mohammad Momani announces details of terrorist cell arrests in Amman on Tuesday. (Petra)
Jordanian government spokesman Mohammad Momani announces details of terrorist cell arrests in Amman on Tuesday. (Petra)

Jordanian authorities said they thwarted plans aimed at stirring chaos and causing material damage in the kingdom, in a move that analysts say may signal a strategic shift in how the state deals with the outlawed Muslim Brotherhood group.

The General Intelligence Department (GID) announced on Tuesday it had foiled “schemes targeting national security and aimed at sowing disorder and sabotage inside the country.”

According to the GID, 16 individuals were arrested in connection with the alleged plots, which officials say had been under close surveillance since 2021.

Sources familiar with the matter told Asharq Al-Awsat the developments could mark a turning point in Amman’s approach to the banned group, long considered a sensitive political issue in the kingdom.

Jordan is preparing for a strategic shift in how it deals with the Muslim Brotherhood, a senior political source, who requested anonymity, told Asharq Al-Awsat.

The source said the group had been operating without official recognition, but recent indictments and alleged foreign ties suggest that Amman is poised to adopt a tougher approach.

“If the movement has so far been active despite questions over its legal status, the charges laid out and the extent of its external links point to a coming change in how the kingdom deals with the Islamist movement,” the source said.

It added that the group’s activities would be subject to legal scrutiny and prosecution once court rulings are issued against those accused of belonging to its cells.

The source also revealed that the discovery of powerful explosives stored in residential homes points to the possible existence of armed militias posing a threat to Jordan's internal and external security.

Other Jordanian sources revealed that short-range rockets uncovered during a recent security operation were part of a broader effort to form ideologically driven, armed militias aimed at destabilizing the country from within.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, the sources estimated the missiles—believed to have a range of no more than five kilometers—were intended for sabotage and terrorist operations on Jordanian soil.

The activities were described as part of a recruitment strategy embedded in religious rhetoric aimed at mobilizing followers.

The sources stressed the importance of a legal and political separation between the Muslim Brotherhood and its political arm, the Islamic Action Front, which currently holds 31 seats in parliament.

“Ensuring the rule of law applies equally to all actors is now a priority,” one source said, noting that the circumstances surrounding the case reveal the danger of providing fertile ground for cross-border agendas and the spread of extremist ideology through armed factions.

Authorities reiterated Jordan’s official position advocating moderation and rejecting extremism. “Jordan must not become a source of instability threatening its neighbors,” one official said, highlighting the country’s commitment to peace.

While popular sentiment in Jordan continues to view Israel as an adversary, the official stance remains aligned with the 1994 peace treaty, which was ratified by parliament and remains in force.

Amman has also warned against Israel’s efforts to portray itself as a security target—a label officials fear could be used to justify expanded military operations in the occupied Palestinian West Bank.

Jordan views such moves, including potential displacement policies in Gaza or the West Bank, as a direct threat to its national interests.

Jordanian authorities have said that while four terrorist cells identified by security forces have been active since May 2021, there is no operational connection to the Hamas-led attacks during the Al-Aqsa Flood Operation against Israel in October 2023.

However, intelligence sources revealed that key figures within the Muslim Brotherhood received directives from foreign entities, though these were not named.

According to the sources, the suspects maintained communications with external groups, receiving funds from regional countries. They were also trained in southern Lebanon, suggesting ties to Hezbollah and Hamas operatives in the area.

Further investigations revealed potential Iranian financial support, with some evidence linking Tehran to efforts aimed at escalating tensions along the eastern front against Israel. These activities, the sources suggest, could be part of broader regional strategic moves.



UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.


Official Contacts Aim to Keep Lebanon out of War on Iran as Israel Raises Readiness on Northern Front 

This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Official Contacts Aim to Keep Lebanon out of War on Iran as Israel Raises Readiness on Northern Front 

This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)

Israel has raised the alert level of its military along the border with Lebanon, raising questions that Lebanon’s south may again be involved in a regional confrontation should the US attack Iran.

Given the heightened tensions between the US and Iran, questions have been asked over whether Hezbollah will become involved in a new war. Its Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem had recently announced that the party will not remain on the side if Iran is attacked.

On the ground, Israel blew up houses in southern Lebanon border towns and carried out air strikes in the south. Israeli military spokesman Avichay Adraee said the raids targeted “Hezbollah infrastructure,” including arms caches and rocket launchers.

Their presence in the south is a violation of current agreements, he added.

Amid the high regional tensions, Israel’s Maariv quoted a military source as saying that the army has come up with plans, including a preemptive strike against Hezbollah, which would drag the south and the whole of Lebanon into a new war.

Ministerial sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that the presidency has been carrying out internal and foreign contacts since Thursday morning to keep Lebanon out of any escalation.

Hezbollah had launched a “support front” war against Israel a day after Hamas’ October 7, 2023 attack. In 2024, the war spiraled into an all-out conflict, with Israel decimating the Hezbollah leadership and severely weakening the party.

Israel believes that Hezbollah has been rebuilding its capabilities since the ceasefire that was struck in November 2024.

Kassim Kassir, a political analyst who is close to Hezbollah, told Asharq Al-Awsat: “No one knows what Hezbollah will do because the situation is tied the extent of the attack, should it happen.”

He noted that Qassem was ambiguous when he said the party will decide what to do when the time is right, but at any rate, he stressed that the party will not remain on the sidelines or abandon Iran.

“No one knows what Hezbollah’s abilities are, so everything is possible,” Kassir said.

Riad Kahwaji, a security and defense affairs expert, said he does not rule out the possibility that Hezbollah would join the war should the US attack Iran.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, he stressed that Iran is now the United States’ main target, when previously it used to confront its proxies.

It has now taken the fight directly to the heart of the problem, which is the Iranian regime, he remarked.

The extent of the military mobilization in the region and the frequent American statements about regime change all indicate that a major military operation may be imminent, he added.

Israel’s military also favors preemptive operations, so it is watching Hezbollah, which remains Iran’s most powerful regional proxy despite the blows it received in 2024 war, Kahwaji said.

Hezbollah still possesses a rocket arsenal that can threaten Israel, he remarked.

Israel’s high level of alert on the border with Lebanon could be in readiness for any development. Should Tel Aviv receive word from Washington that it intends to attack Iran, then it could launch operations against Hezbollah as part of preemptive strikes aimed at preventing the party from launching attacks against it, Kahwaji said.

“As long as Hezbollah possesses heavy weapons, such as rockets, and drones, that it has not handed over to the army, then Lebanon will continue to be vulnerable to attacks in the next confrontation. It will be exposed to Israeli strikes as long as this issue remains unresolved,” he added.