Jordan Shifts Strategy Against Muslim Brotherhood Following Plot to ‘Stir Chaos’

Jordanian government spokesman Mohammad Momani announces details of terrorist cell arrests in Amman on Tuesday. (Petra)
Jordanian government spokesman Mohammad Momani announces details of terrorist cell arrests in Amman on Tuesday. (Petra)
TT

Jordan Shifts Strategy Against Muslim Brotherhood Following Plot to ‘Stir Chaos’

Jordanian government spokesman Mohammad Momani announces details of terrorist cell arrests in Amman on Tuesday. (Petra)
Jordanian government spokesman Mohammad Momani announces details of terrorist cell arrests in Amman on Tuesday. (Petra)

Jordanian authorities said they thwarted plans aimed at stirring chaos and causing material damage in the kingdom, in a move that analysts say may signal a strategic shift in how the state deals with the outlawed Muslim Brotherhood group.

The General Intelligence Department (GID) announced on Tuesday it had foiled “schemes targeting national security and aimed at sowing disorder and sabotage inside the country.”

According to the GID, 16 individuals were arrested in connection with the alleged plots, which officials say had been under close surveillance since 2021.

Sources familiar with the matter told Asharq Al-Awsat the developments could mark a turning point in Amman’s approach to the banned group, long considered a sensitive political issue in the kingdom.

Jordan is preparing for a strategic shift in how it deals with the Muslim Brotherhood, a senior political source, who requested anonymity, told Asharq Al-Awsat.

The source said the group had been operating without official recognition, but recent indictments and alleged foreign ties suggest that Amman is poised to adopt a tougher approach.

“If the movement has so far been active despite questions over its legal status, the charges laid out and the extent of its external links point to a coming change in how the kingdom deals with the Islamist movement,” the source said.

It added that the group’s activities would be subject to legal scrutiny and prosecution once court rulings are issued against those accused of belonging to its cells.

The source also revealed that the discovery of powerful explosives stored in residential homes points to the possible existence of armed militias posing a threat to Jordan's internal and external security.

Other Jordanian sources revealed that short-range rockets uncovered during a recent security operation were part of a broader effort to form ideologically driven, armed militias aimed at destabilizing the country from within.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, the sources estimated the missiles—believed to have a range of no more than five kilometers—were intended for sabotage and terrorist operations on Jordanian soil.

The activities were described as part of a recruitment strategy embedded in religious rhetoric aimed at mobilizing followers.

The sources stressed the importance of a legal and political separation between the Muslim Brotherhood and its political arm, the Islamic Action Front, which currently holds 31 seats in parliament.

“Ensuring the rule of law applies equally to all actors is now a priority,” one source said, noting that the circumstances surrounding the case reveal the danger of providing fertile ground for cross-border agendas and the spread of extremist ideology through armed factions.

Authorities reiterated Jordan’s official position advocating moderation and rejecting extremism. “Jordan must not become a source of instability threatening its neighbors,” one official said, highlighting the country’s commitment to peace.

While popular sentiment in Jordan continues to view Israel as an adversary, the official stance remains aligned with the 1994 peace treaty, which was ratified by parliament and remains in force.

Amman has also warned against Israel’s efforts to portray itself as a security target—a label officials fear could be used to justify expanded military operations in the occupied Palestinian West Bank.

Jordan views such moves, including potential displacement policies in Gaza or the West Bank, as a direct threat to its national interests.

Jordanian authorities have said that while four terrorist cells identified by security forces have been active since May 2021, there is no operational connection to the Hamas-led attacks during the Al-Aqsa Flood Operation against Israel in October 2023.

However, intelligence sources revealed that key figures within the Muslim Brotherhood received directives from foreign entities, though these were not named.

According to the sources, the suspects maintained communications with external groups, receiving funds from regional countries. They were also trained in southern Lebanon, suggesting ties to Hezbollah and Hamas operatives in the area.

Further investigations revealed potential Iranian financial support, with some evidence linking Tehran to efforts aimed at escalating tensions along the eastern front against Israel. These activities, the sources suggest, could be part of broader regional strategic moves.



Syria Closes ISIS-linked al-Hol Camp after Emptying it

18 February 2026, Syria, Al-Hol: A view of al-Hol camp. Photo: Moawia Atrash/dpa
18 February 2026, Syria, Al-Hol: A view of al-Hol camp. Photo: Moawia Atrash/dpa
TT

Syria Closes ISIS-linked al-Hol Camp after Emptying it

18 February 2026, Syria, Al-Hol: A view of al-Hol camp. Photo: Moawia Atrash/dpa
18 February 2026, Syria, Al-Hol: A view of al-Hol camp. Photo: Moawia Atrash/dpa

Syrian authorities have closed al-Hol camp, which long housed relatives of suspected ISIS militants, after emptying the formerly Kurdish-controlled facility, a camp official told AFP on Sunday.

"All Syrian and non-Syrian families were relocated," Fadi al-Qassem, the official appointed by the government to manage al-Hol's affairs told AFP.

Al-Hol, located in a desert region of Hasakeh province, had been Syria's largest camp housing relatives of suspected ISIS fighters.

Last month, the government took over the camp from its Kurdish administrators, who had long run it, as Kurdish forces ceded territory and Damascus extended its control across swathes of Syria's northeast.

Since then, thousands of family members of foreign militants have left for unknown destinations.

The facility had housed some 24,000 people, mostly Syrians but also Iraqis and more than 6,000 other foreigners of around 40 nationalities.

Qassem said security forces were searching the tents for any remaining families.

Earlier this week, authorities had started evacuating the remaining residents, taking them to a camp in Akhtarin, in the north of Aleppo province.

Some of the families were taken elsewhere, Qassem said, without specifying the location.

"The camp's residents are children and women who need support for their reintegration," he added.

A source in a humanitarian organization that was active in the camp told AFP: "We evacuated all our teams working inside the camp, dismantled all our equipment and prefabricated rooms and moved them out of the camp".

Last week, the US military said it had completed the transfer of thousands of ISIS suspects, including many Syrians but also Westerners, to Iraq, after they were held in Kurdish-run prisons in northeast Syria for years.


Palestinian Foreign Ministry Condemns US Ambassador to Israel’s Statements

The Israeli settlement of Har Homa, seen from the West Bank city of Bethlehem, Tuesday, Dec. 17, 2024. (AP)
The Israeli settlement of Har Homa, seen from the West Bank city of Bethlehem, Tuesday, Dec. 17, 2024. (AP)
TT

Palestinian Foreign Ministry Condemns US Ambassador to Israel’s Statements

The Israeli settlement of Har Homa, seen from the West Bank city of Bethlehem, Tuesday, Dec. 17, 2024. (AP)
The Israeli settlement of Har Homa, seen from the West Bank city of Bethlehem, Tuesday, Dec. 17, 2024. (AP)

The Palestinian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates condemned statements by the US ambassador to Israel, in which he claimed that Israel has the right to exercise control over the entire Middle East.

The ministry emphasized that these provocative statements constitute a blatant call for aggression against the sovereignty of states.

It added that they support the continuation of the occupation’s war of genocide and displacement, as well as the implementation of its annexation and expansionist plans against the Palestinian people, SPA reported.

The Palestinian foreign ministry pointed out that the statements contradict religious and historical facts and international law, SPA reported.

It called on the US administration to take a clear stance regarding its ambassador to Israel’s remarks, which are completely at odds with the US president’s position rejecting the annexation of the West Bank.


Israel Carries Out More Strikes in Lebanon amid Lack of Int’l Assurances on Wider Regional Escalation

People gather near a building damaged in an Israeli strike in the village of Bednayel in eastern Lebanon, 21 February 2026. EPA/WAEL HAMZEH
People gather near a building damaged in an Israeli strike in the village of Bednayel in eastern Lebanon, 21 February 2026. EPA/WAEL HAMZEH
TT

Israel Carries Out More Strikes in Lebanon amid Lack of Int’l Assurances on Wider Regional Escalation

People gather near a building damaged in an Israeli strike in the village of Bednayel in eastern Lebanon, 21 February 2026. EPA/WAEL HAMZEH
People gather near a building damaged in an Israeli strike in the village of Bednayel in eastern Lebanon, 21 February 2026. EPA/WAEL HAMZEH

Lebanese officials say the country has yet to obtain firm or decisive Western guarantees that it will be spared from a larger confrontation in the region as speculation grows over a potential US strike on Iran.

Chief concerns center on whether Hezbollah would be targeted as part of any large-scale strike, or whether the group might intervene militarily alongside Tehran.

Ministerial sources said Israeli airstrikes on Hamas in the Ain al-Hilweh Palestinian refugee camp in southern Lebanon, as well as overnight raids targeting Hezbollah in the eastern Bekaa Valley fall within the pattern of ongoing military operations Lebanon, particularly targeted assassinations against figures linked to both groups.

The sources told Asharq Al-Awsat Lebanon has not received explicit Western assurances that it would not be drawn into a wider confrontation if the conflict expands.

On Hezbollah’s position, the sources noted that the group has not offered a clear position on how it would respond to potential developments.

They pointed to behind-the-scenes efforts led primarily by Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri who believes “Hezbollah will not take any step if Iran is struck.”

Although Hezbollah has previously declared it “would stand idle” in case of escalation, the sources said the party has not announced any specific military plans.

Statements made by its officials have been vague, they added, citing remarks by head of Hezbollah’s parliamentary bloc Mohammad Raad, who stressed on Friday the party’s commitment to “the security and stability of the country and the continuation of normal life.”

In Lebanon’s official response, President Joseph Aoun strongly condemned the Israeli raids carried out overnight by land and sea, which targeted the Sidon area and towns in the Bekaa.

He described the continued attacks as “blatant aggression” aimed at sabotaging Lebanon’s diplomatic efforts with brotherly and friendly nations - foremost among them the United States - to consolidate stability and halt Israeli hostilities.

Aoun said the strikes were a renewed violation of Lebanon’s sovereignty and a clear breach of international obligations, particularly United Nations Security Council Resolution 1701, which calls for a cessation of hostilities and full implementation of its provisions.

The president renewed his appeal to countries supporting regional stability to assume their responsibilities by pressing for an immediate halt to the attacks and ensuring respect for international resolutions in a way that preserves Lebanon’s sovereignty, security, and territorial integrity, and prevents further escalation.