What’s Behind the UNIFIL Attacks?

FILED - 26 August 2023, Lebanon, Kfrachouba: UN peacekeeping troops secure the Lebanese border side with Israel at the outskirts of the Lebanese southern village of Kfarchouba. Photo: Marwan Naamani/dpa
FILED - 26 August 2023, Lebanon, Kfrachouba: UN peacekeeping troops secure the Lebanese border side with Israel at the outskirts of the Lebanese southern village of Kfarchouba. Photo: Marwan Naamani/dpa
TT

What’s Behind the UNIFIL Attacks?

FILED - 26 August 2023, Lebanon, Kfrachouba: UN peacekeeping troops secure the Lebanese border side with Israel at the outskirts of the Lebanese southern village of Kfarchouba. Photo: Marwan Naamani/dpa
FILED - 26 August 2023, Lebanon, Kfrachouba: UN peacekeeping troops secure the Lebanese border side with Israel at the outskirts of the Lebanese southern village of Kfarchouba. Photo: Marwan Naamani/dpa

Efforts to restore state authority across Lebanon and enforce UN Security Council Resolution 1701 - which mandates a zone free of unauthorized weapons south of the Litani River - have been met with fresh hostilities targeting UN peacekeepers in the country’s southern border areas.

In recent days, attacks on the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) have resurfaced, echoing tactics previously used by Hezbollah to send political messages.

The latest incident occurred on Tuesday in the southern town of Bint Jbeil, where local residents reportedly blocked a UNIFIL patrol from entering without a Lebanese army escort.

On Friday, two young men in the town of Tayr Debba obstructed an armored UNIFIL convoy, forcing it to withdraw. A widely circulated video showed one of the men stating: “They’re not allowed to enter without the Lebanese army.”

Sources at the Presidential Palace told Asharq Al-Awsat that President Joseph Aoun raised the issue during a recent meeting with UNIFIL Commander Lieutenant General Aroldo Lázaro.

The president underscored the need for close coordination between UNIFIL and the Lebanese army to avoid friction with residents. The army, the sources added, is actively addressing such incidents to prevent escalation.

Government officials condemned the attacks as “unacceptable,” recalling Aoun’s firm stance two months ago when UNIFIL forces were assaulted near Beirut airport. At the time, Aoun described such acts as “reprehensible and condemned.”

Investigations into the Beirut airport incident led to the arrest of 25 individuals, of whom 19 were later released, while six remain under military court jurisdiction.

“Any grievances should be relayed to the army, which is deployed in these areas,” a senior source told Asharq Al-Awsat.

The source warned that repeated disruptions could strain the vital relationship between peacekeepers and the local community. “Residents benefit from UNIFIL not only in terms of security, but also through social and humanitarian services,” the source added.

Political undertones are also suspected. Despite unified pledges from Aoun, Prime Minister Nawaf Salam, and Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri to uphold Resolution 1701 and stabilize the south, the nature of the attacks suggests a deliberate attempt to undermine these efforts.

“It’s puzzling,” the source said. “Clearly, a certain party is working to disrupt the relationship with UNIFIL - it’s as if someone is singing a different tune.”

Asked whether such incidents could hinder UNIFIL’s operations, the source responded: “The peacekeepers know these acts are not state-sanctioned. The Lebanese government is dealing with them. But if they continue, participating countries might reconsider their involvement.”

Riad Kahwaji, head of the Institute for Near East and Gulf Military Analysis (INEGMA), squarely blamed Hezbollah for orchestrating the confrontations.

“Hezbollah has long used civilians to harass UNIFIL as a form of messaging,” Kahwaji told Asharq Al-Awsat. “It’s a tactic to assert dominance, especially now that Lebanese leaders are signaling a shift toward disarming the group. These are Hezbollah’s reminders that it still controls the ground.”

“No one in these villages acts without Hezbollah’s directives,” he added, dismissing claims of spontaneous civilian protests as a cover.

Kahwaji warned that unless the government acts swiftly to detain perpetrators and prevent further escalation, the attacks may intensify and even target the Lebanese army, which is expanding its presence in the south.

UNIFIL deputy spokesperson Kandice Ardiel, responding to Friday’s incident, reaffirmed that the peacekeeping force is operating in close coordination with the Lebanese Armed Forces to support the Lebanese government’s implementation of Resolution 1701 during this critical period.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.