Easing of Tensions between Syria, Israel Does Not Erase Tel Aviv’s Concerns about Damascus

 An Israeli soldier opens a gate at the border between the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights and Syria, in Majdal Shams, May 4, 2025. (Reuters)
An Israeli soldier opens a gate at the border between the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights and Syria, in Majdal Shams, May 4, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Easing of Tensions between Syria, Israel Does Not Erase Tel Aviv’s Concerns about Damascus

 An Israeli soldier opens a gate at the border between the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights and Syria, in Majdal Shams, May 4, 2025. (Reuters)
An Israeli soldier opens a gate at the border between the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights and Syria, in Majdal Shams, May 4, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli army continues to bolster its positions inside Syrian territories it occupied near the Golan Heights five months ago. This is in spite of regional and international diplomatic efforts to put an end to Israel’s violations against Syria, meaning Tel Aviv may still have doubts about the intentions of the new rulers in Damascus.

The Israelis believe that the new rulers are sending positive signals to all parties, including Tel Aviv and Iran. They do point out, however, that some armed groups affiliated with Damascus openly declare their hostility to Israel and its allies in the region, which demands that they be approached with caution.

Recent reports have spoken of indirect talks held between Syria and Israel in a third country in April with the aim of easing tensions. The discussions focused on security and intelligence affairs, as well as counter-terrorism efforts and trust-building between the countries that don’t have official ties.

Sources described the talks as positive even as Israel continued its attacks on Syria, going so far as to strike a location close to the presidential palace in Damascus. It claimed that it was defending Syria’s Druze minority, which it alleges is being harassed by parties close to the new rulers in Damascus.

On May 3, Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said a strike near the presidential palace should serve as a "clear message" to Syria's new rulers.

"We will not allow forces to be sent south of Damascus or any threat to the Druze community," he said in a joint statement with Defense Minister Israel Katz.

Israel’s Yedioth Ahronoth said three rounds of unofficial talks have been held between Israeli academics with security backgrounds with three figures who are close to the new Syrian government. Discussions tackled the Israeli strikes on Syria and ensuring the security of the Druze, while Damascus demanded an end to the escalation and allowing the new rulers to arrange internal affairs inside Syria.

The sources told the newspaper that the talks were direct, as opposed to other rounds of talks, reflecting a desire to build trust as Syria recently declared that it has "no intention to threaten any of its neighbors, including Israel."

The newspaper also said that Syrian and Israeli figures met on the sidelines of two conferences in Europe. The members of the Syrian delegation appeared friendly towards the Israelis, stressing that the new regime in Damascus has expelled the Iranians from Syria and will not allow them to return. The Israelis were receptive of the message.

Yedioth Ahronoth said the Syrian delegation was comprised of six officials and had received official approval to meet the Israelis in Europe.

Syrian interim President Ahmed al-Sharaa acknowledged on Wednesday that his country has held indirect talks with Israel.

"There are indirect talks with Israel through mediators to calm and attempt to absorb the situation so that it does not reach a level that both sides lose control over," he said, reiterating blame on Israel over what he described as its "random interventions" in Syria.

Meanwhile, Israel continued to bolster its positions in locations it occupied in Jabal al-Sheikh in Syria and along the border – areas that are just 20 kilometers away from the capital Damascus.

Israel's military said Thursday it opened a mobile medical clinic in southern Syria to support the Druze population, which it has committed to defending in recent weeks.

The military “has begun operating a forward mobile triage facility in southern Syria, in the area of the village of Hader," a statement said.

"The facility is part of several efforts undertaken by the IDF to support the Syrian-Druze population and ensure their safety."

In footage published by the army, military medical personnel can be seen treating a man with his arm in a cast – all of whom have their faces blurred – in what appears to be a mobile cabin.



Australia Bars Citizen Held in Syria’s Roj Camp from Returning Home

Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Australia Bars Citizen Held in Syria’s Roj Camp from Returning Home

Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Australia has barred one of its citizens from returning home from a Syrian detention camp because of security concerns, the government said Wednesday.

The unidentified person is among a group of 34 Australian women and children at the Roj camp related to suspected members of ISIS.

"I can confirm that one individual in this cohort has been issued a temporary exclusion order, which was made on advice from security agencies," Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said in a statement sent to AFP.

"At this stage security agencies have not provided advice that other members of the cohort meet the required legal thresholds for temporary exclusion orders."

The minister can make temporary exclusion orders lasting up to two years to prevent terrorist activities or politically motivated violence.

The Australians were released from the camp on Monday but failed to reach the capital Damascus on their way home, a Kurdish official told AFP in Syria.

The official said they were turned back to the detention camp, citing "poor coordination" with the Syrian authorities.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese underscored his government's refusal to help repatriate the women and children.

"You make your bed, you lie in it," he said, accusing the group of aligning with an ideology that seeks to "undermine and destroy our way of life".

"We are doing nothing to repatriate or to assist these people," he told reporters Wednesday.

"I think it's unfortunate that children are caught up in this. That's not their decision but it's the decision of their parents or their mother."

The humanitarian organization Save the Children Australia filed a lawsuit in 2023 on behalf of 11 women and 20 children in Syria, seeking their repatriation.

But the Federal Court ruled against Save the Children, saying the Australian government did not control their detention in Syria.


Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
TT

Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)

Electricity has returned to Yemen’s Socotra archipelago after urgent Saudi intervention ended days of outages that disrupted daily life and crippled vital institutions, including the general hospital, the university and the technical institute.

The breakthrough followed a sudden shutdown of the power plants after the operating company withdrew and disabled control systems, triggering widespread blackouts and deepening hardship for residents.

The Saudi Program for the Development and Reconstruction of Yemen said its engineering and technical teams moved immediately after receiving an appeal from local authorities. Specialists were dispatched to reactivate operating systems that had been encrypted before the company left the island.

Generators were brought back online in stages, restoring electricity across most of the governorate within a short time.

The restart eased intense pressure on the grid, which had faced rising demand in recent weeks after a complete halt in generation.

Health and education facilities were among the worst affected. Some medical departments scaled back services, while parts of the education sector were partially suspended as classrooms and laboratories were left without power.

Socotra’s electricity authority said the crisis began when the former operator installed shutdown timers and password protections on control systems, preventing local teams from restarting the stations. Officials noted that the archipelago faced a similar situation in 2018, which was resolved through official intervention.

Local sources said the return of electricity quickly stabilized basic services. Water networks resumed regular operations, telecommunications improved, and commercial activity began to recover after a period of economic disruption linked to the outages.

Health and education rebound

In the health sector, stable power, combined with operational support, secured the functioning of Socotra General Hospital, the archipelago’s main medical facility.

Funding helped provide fuel and medical supplies and support healthcare staff, strengthening the hospital’s ability to receive patients and reducing the need to transfer cases outside the governorate, a burden that had weighed heavily on residents.

Medical sources said critical departments, including intensive care units and operating rooms, resumed normal operations after relying on limited emergency measures.

In education, classes and academic activities resumed at Socotra University and the technical institute after weeks of disruption.

A support initiative covered operational costs, including academic staff salaries and essential expenses, helping curb absenteeism and restore the academic schedule.

Local authorities announced that studies at the technical institute would officially restart on Monday, a move seen as a sign of gradual stabilization in public services.

Observers say sustained technical and operational support will be key to safeguarding electricity supply and preventing a repeat of the crisis in a region that depends almost entirely on power to run its vital sectors.


Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.