Document Written by Arafat Helped Israel Recover Body of Israeli Soldier Missing for 43 Years

The Walla website published a secret document written by late Palestinian president, Yasser Arafat, who referred to the presence of three graves located in the cemetery of Yarmouk camp in Syria 
The Walla website published a secret document written by late Palestinian president, Yasser Arafat, who referred to the presence of three graves located in the cemetery of Yarmouk camp in Syria 
TT

Document Written by Arafat Helped Israel Recover Body of Israeli Soldier Missing for 43 Years

The Walla website published a secret document written by late Palestinian president, Yasser Arafat, who referred to the presence of three graves located in the cemetery of Yarmouk camp in Syria 
The Walla website published a secret document written by late Palestinian president, Yasser Arafat, who referred to the presence of three graves located in the cemetery of Yarmouk camp in Syria 

The body of Israeli soldier Tzvi Feldman, who went missing since the Battle of Sultan Yacoub between Israel and Syria in June 1982, have been returned to Israel in a special operation carried out by commando forces after the collapse of Bashar al-Assad's regime, Israeli reports said on Sunday.

During the operation, Israeli warplanes carried out intensive raids on several locations around the place to protect the forces and hide their traces.

Military sources in Tel Aviv said that the mission was conducted months ago, enabled by old intelligence and advanced operational capabilities.

However, the sources added, non-Israeli agents, operating on behalf of the Mossad, had a cover story and had been inside Syria for several years to collect information on the location of Feldman’s body.

In the past five months, following the fall of Assad regime, the agents operated “under fire” and visited a graveyard several times, obtaining various findings that were sent to Israel for identification.

When findings matched Feldman’s DNA, the Israeli team recovered the full body and brought it home.

According to Army Radio, the operation lasted for months, with the final identification of the body coming over the past weekend.

Al-Sharaa Government Not Involved in Operation

Sources said that following the fall of Assad regime, there were breakthroughs in Feldman’s case and an opportunity to recover his remains.

Although the Israeli operation was conducted under the new Syrian government led by Ahmed al-Sharaa, the latter was not involved in the operation, they said.

Security officials emphasized that the operation didn’t involve any cooperation by the new Syrian government, denying recent reports of indirect talks between Israel and al-Sharaa in this regard.

The sources said that intelligence that helped carry out the operation were completely separate from efforts related to Hamas’ abduction of Israeli prisoners in the Gaza Strip.

They said the massive efforts to find the hundreds of Israelis who were abducted by Hamas on Oct. 7 were concentrated in a newly established Abductees Command under retired Maj.-Gen. Nitzan Alon, allowing the Repatriation Department to continue its work behind the scenes, even during the war.

Other sources in Tel Aviv said information about the fate of Israeli soldiers who were missing in the Battle of Sultan Yacoub during the 1982 Israeli invasion of Lebanon, were uncovered in July 2021. At the time, the Israeli intelligence discovered a secret document written by late Palestinian president, Yasser Arafat, who referred to the presence of three graves located in the cemetery of the Yarmouk Palestinian refugee camp on the outskirts of the Syrian capital Damascus.

The Walla website showed a copy of the document that it said was provided by a “non-Israeli” source, and written more than 20 years ago.

The document is a handwritten note on an official paper from the Palestinian Authority presidential office. The source claimed the document was written by Yasser Arafat.

The letter did not specify whether the graves belonged to the Israeli soldiers killed in the Battle of Sultan Yacoub, however, it included a detailed map of three graves in the Yarmouk camp, where members of the PLO factions were buried after 1980.

When the document was uncovered in 2021, Israel asked for Russia’s assistance to identify whether the location included the bodies of its missing soldiers, particularly that in 2019, Moscow had helped Netanyahu recover the body of Zachary Baumel from the Yarmouk refugee camp.

On Sunday, Netanyahu tried to benefit from the recovery of Feldman’s body. He personally visited his family in Tel Aviv, accompanied by his military secretary and the coordinator for hostages and missing persons, to deliver the news.

“For decades, Tzvi was listed as missing, and the efforts to locate him—alongside the other soldiers missing from that battle—never ceased. Six years ago, we brought back Staff Sergent Zachary Baumel for burial in Israel. Today, we bring back Tzvi. We will not stop until we bring home Staff Sgt. Yehuda Katz, who is still missing from that same battle.”

The prime minister then extended his gratitude to “the Mossad, the Israeli Army, the Shin Bet, and Hostage and Missing Persons Coordinator Gal Hirsch for their decades of dedicated, determined and courageous efforts to bring Tzvi home—and to return all of our missing and captive, living and fallen alike.”

He said, “Israel and my government are fully committed to this mission.”

Israeli Paratroopers

Meanwhile, the Israeli Army announced on Sunday that after five months of operational activity in the Golan Heights and Syria, soldiers of the Paratroopers Brigade have completed their mission on the northern border.

It said the troops are now preparing, as part of the 98th Division, for additional missions in the Gaza Strip ahead of the effort to expand the operations in the area.

“In the coming days, the Paratroopers Brigade will be replaced by reserve troops, who will continue their activity in Syria,” the statement said, adding that the Army will continue to operate across all arenas in order to protect the citizens of Israel.

 



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.