Spy Cases Surge in Hezbollah Strongholds, Exposing Leadership Breach

People drive on a street past portraits of slain Lebanese Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah and buildings damaged in Israeli strikes in the recent war, amid the first round of municipal elections, in the Ghobeiry neighborhood of Beirut's southern suburb on May 4, 2025. (Photo by ANWAR AMRO / AFP)
People drive on a street past portraits of slain Lebanese Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah and buildings damaged in Israeli strikes in the recent war, amid the first round of municipal elections, in the Ghobeiry neighborhood of Beirut's southern suburb on May 4, 2025. (Photo by ANWAR AMRO / AFP)
TT

Spy Cases Surge in Hezbollah Strongholds, Exposing Leadership Breach

People drive on a street past portraits of slain Lebanese Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah and buildings damaged in Israeli strikes in the recent war, amid the first round of municipal elections, in the Ghobeiry neighborhood of Beirut's southern suburb on May 4, 2025. (Photo by ANWAR AMRO / AFP)
People drive on a street past portraits of slain Lebanese Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah and buildings damaged in Israeli strikes in the recent war, amid the first round of municipal elections, in the Ghobeiry neighborhood of Beirut's southern suburb on May 4, 2025. (Photo by ANWAR AMRO / AFP)

A widening Israeli spy scandal has become a nightmare for Lebanon’s Hezbollah, with the threat it poses rivaling that of the Israeli military campaign targeting the group and its support base.

Investigations into 21 detainees have revealed that many of the alleged agents were closely linked to Hezbollah commanders and operatives.

Their espionage activities are believed to have provided Mossad with the intelligence needed to assassinate dozens of Hezbollah leaders, most recently the son of a senior commander, identified as Mohammad Saleh, described by sources as one of the most dangerous informants and possibly the one responsible for the largest number of targeted killings.

21 Detained So Far for Alleged Collaboration with Israel

The number of arrests continues to rise. A judicial source told Asharq al-Awsat that 21 people are currently in custody in connection with the case.

“The manhunt is ongoing and has led to more suspects being identified,” the source said, noting that Israeli intelligence has shifted tactics, opting for the individual recruitment of agents rather than operating through traditional spy networks.

“This change in approach has made it harder to dismantle spy rings using prior counter-intelligence methods from the days of Lebanon’s so-called security war with Israel.”

Rumors have circulated about the arrests of prominent social media figures, including a well-known Lebanese TikToker reportedly close to Hezbollah, on charges of collaborating with Israel.

However, a security source dismissed these claims as exaggerated, telling Asharq al-Awsat that “while an extensive intelligence operation is underway, many of the circulating reports are inflated and not based in fact. That said, it remains possible that more suspects could be detained at any time.”

The source confirmed that Lebanon’s major intelligence branches, including the Internal Security Forces’ Information Branch, Military Intelligence, and General Security, have ramped up surveillance to monitor suspicious activity both domestically and abroad.

Shock in Hezbollah Stronghold as Residents Demand Execution of Spies

The scandal has shaken Hezbollah’s core support base in Beirut’s southern suburbs. Outraged residents recently erected a mock gallows in a public square, demanding the execution of collaborators.

Political analyst and Janoubia news site publisher Ali Al-Amin, a vocal critic of Hezbollah, told Asharq al-Awsat the case reveals “a deep infiltration of Hezbollah’s environment.”

He said the group’s ideology and indoctrination tactics have “left the community vulnerable and unbalanced,” making it easier for individuals to justify cooperation with Israel.

“The display of a noose in the heart of Dahiyeh is an attempt to signal that collaboration is the exception, not the norm,” Al-Amin said.

“But the rhetoric of accusing others of treason has ironically created an atmosphere where internal betrayal flourishes. Many are lured into collaboration, perhaps without fully grasping its gravity, driven by disillusionment and ideological fatigue within the Shiite community.”

The arrest of Saleh, son of a senior commander in Hezbollah’s elite Radwan Unit, sent shockwaves through the group.

Saleh, whose brother died fighting Israeli forces, had reportedly gained intimate access to Hezbollah's military leadership. For over a week, investigators questioned him about his role in leaking sensitive data, and the picture that has emerged is deeply troubling.

A judicial source said Saleh is believed to be the most dangerous operative caught since the onset of the Israel-Gaza war.

“His proximity to key figures enabled him to relay accurate coordinates and sensitive information that led to the assassination of senior Hezbollah members,” the source said.

“Among them was Hassan Bdeir, Hezbollah’s coordinator for Palestinian affairs, and his son Ali, both killed in a drone strike that hit their home in Beirut’s southern suburb of Hay al-Jamous on March 29.”

The source added that Saleh even went so far as to inform the Israelis of the names of officials set to replace assassinated commanders. He would often photograph himself with senior party figures, some of whom were later killed, and transmit the images to his handlers.

The Military Court's Government Commissioner, Judge Fadi Akiki, formally indicted Saleh on charges of “collaborating with the Israeli enemy, conspiring with it, and supplying it with information that resulted in civilian deaths.”

The charges carry penalties of up to the death sentence under Lebanese law. Saleh’s case was referred to the First Military Investigative Judge, Fadi Sawan, who was asked to interrogate the suspect and issue a formal arrest warrant.

The arrest of Saleh has become a key development in what officials now describe as a growing espionage crisis.

According to a judicial source, Saleh’s detention brings the total number of individuals held for allegedly spying for Israel to 21. The group includes 13 Lebanese nationals, six Syrians, and two Palestinians, all currently undergoing interrogation sessions before military investigative judges.

“This case is far from isolated,” the source told Asharq al-Awsat. “The wave of arrests began shortly after the ceasefire between Lebanon and Israel came into effect and has since snowballed.”

The source noted that several of the accused were recruited by Israel’s Mossad intelligence agency during the ongoing conflict, particularly after October 8, 2023 when Hezbollah opened a second front in support of Gaza.

“Some of those arrested were recruited during the war, while others were contacted before hostilities broke out,” the source added.



How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)

As Hamas moves to strike armed gangs operating in areas of the Gaza Strip under Israeli army control, the groups are responding with defiance, stepping up efforts to recruit young men and expand their ranks.

Videos posted on social media show training exercises and other activities, signaling that the gangs remain active despite pressure from Hamas security services.

Platforms affiliated with Hamas security say some members have recently turned themselves in following mediation by families, clans and community leaders. The gangs have not responded to those statements. Instead, they occasionally broadcast footage announcing new recruits.

Among the most prominent was Hamza Mahra, a Hamas activist who appeared weeks ago in a video released by the Shawqi Abu Nasira gang, which operates north of Khan Younis and east of Deir al-Balah.

Mahra’s appearance has raised questions about how these groups recruit members inside the enclave.

Field sources and others within the security apparatus of a Palestinian armed faction in Gaza told Asharq Al-Awsat that Mahra’s case may be an exception. They described him as a Hamas activist with no major role, despite his grandfather being among the founders of Hamas in Jabalia.

His decision to join the gang was driven by personal reasons linked to a family dispute, they said, not by organizational considerations.

The sources said the gangs exploit severe economic hardship, luring some young men with money, cigarettes and other incentives. Some recruits were heavily indebted and fled to gang-controlled areas to avoid repaying creditors.

Others joined in search of narcotic pills, the sources said, noting that some had previously been detained by Hamas-run security forces on similar charges. Economic hardship and the need for cigarettes and drugs were among the main drivers of recruitment, they added, saying the gangs, with Israeli backing, provide such supplies.

Resentment toward Hamas has also played a role, particularly among those previously arrested on criminal or security grounds and subjected to what the sources described as limited torture during interrogations under established procedures.

According to the sources, some founders or current leaders of the gangs previously served in the Palestinian Authority security services.

They cited Shawqi Abu Nasira, a senior police officer; Hussam al-Astal, an officer in the Preventive Security Service; and Rami Helles and Ashraf al-Mansi, both former officers in the Palestinian Presidential Guard.

These figures, the sources said, approach young men in need and at times succeed in recruiting them by promising help in settling debts and providing cigarettes. They also tell recruits that joining will secure them a future role in security forces that would later govern Gaza.

The sources described the case of a young man who surrendered to Gaza security services last week. He said he had been pressured after a phone call with a woman who threatened to publish the recording unless he joined one of the gangs.

He later received assurances from another contact that he would help repay some of his debts and ultimately agreed to enlist.

During questioning, he said the leader of the gang he joined east of Gaza City repeatedly assured recruits they would be “part of the structure of any Palestinian security force that will rule the sector.”

The young man told investigators he was unconvinced by those assurances, as were dozens of others in the same group.

Investigations of several individuals who surrendered, along with field data, indicate the gangs have carried out armed missions on behalf of the Israeli army, including locating tunnels. That has led to ambushes by Palestinian factions.

In the past week, clashes in the Zaytoun neighborhood south of Gaza City and near al-Masdar east of Deir al-Balah left gang members dead and wounded.

Some investigations also found that the gangs recruited young men previously involved in looting humanitarian aid.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.