Spy Cases Surge in Hezbollah Strongholds, Exposing Leadership Breach

People drive on a street past portraits of slain Lebanese Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah and buildings damaged in Israeli strikes in the recent war, amid the first round of municipal elections, in the Ghobeiry neighborhood of Beirut's southern suburb on May 4, 2025. (Photo by ANWAR AMRO / AFP)
People drive on a street past portraits of slain Lebanese Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah and buildings damaged in Israeli strikes in the recent war, amid the first round of municipal elections, in the Ghobeiry neighborhood of Beirut's southern suburb on May 4, 2025. (Photo by ANWAR AMRO / AFP)
TT

Spy Cases Surge in Hezbollah Strongholds, Exposing Leadership Breach

People drive on a street past portraits of slain Lebanese Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah and buildings damaged in Israeli strikes in the recent war, amid the first round of municipal elections, in the Ghobeiry neighborhood of Beirut's southern suburb on May 4, 2025. (Photo by ANWAR AMRO / AFP)
People drive on a street past portraits of slain Lebanese Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah and buildings damaged in Israeli strikes in the recent war, amid the first round of municipal elections, in the Ghobeiry neighborhood of Beirut's southern suburb on May 4, 2025. (Photo by ANWAR AMRO / AFP)

A widening Israeli spy scandal has become a nightmare for Lebanon’s Hezbollah, with the threat it poses rivaling that of the Israeli military campaign targeting the group and its support base.

Investigations into 21 detainees have revealed that many of the alleged agents were closely linked to Hezbollah commanders and operatives.

Their espionage activities are believed to have provided Mossad with the intelligence needed to assassinate dozens of Hezbollah leaders, most recently the son of a senior commander, identified as Mohammad Saleh, described by sources as one of the most dangerous informants and possibly the one responsible for the largest number of targeted killings.

21 Detained So Far for Alleged Collaboration with Israel

The number of arrests continues to rise. A judicial source told Asharq al-Awsat that 21 people are currently in custody in connection with the case.

“The manhunt is ongoing and has led to more suspects being identified,” the source said, noting that Israeli intelligence has shifted tactics, opting for the individual recruitment of agents rather than operating through traditional spy networks.

“This change in approach has made it harder to dismantle spy rings using prior counter-intelligence methods from the days of Lebanon’s so-called security war with Israel.”

Rumors have circulated about the arrests of prominent social media figures, including a well-known Lebanese TikToker reportedly close to Hezbollah, on charges of collaborating with Israel.

However, a security source dismissed these claims as exaggerated, telling Asharq al-Awsat that “while an extensive intelligence operation is underway, many of the circulating reports are inflated and not based in fact. That said, it remains possible that more suspects could be detained at any time.”

The source confirmed that Lebanon’s major intelligence branches, including the Internal Security Forces’ Information Branch, Military Intelligence, and General Security, have ramped up surveillance to monitor suspicious activity both domestically and abroad.

Shock in Hezbollah Stronghold as Residents Demand Execution of Spies

The scandal has shaken Hezbollah’s core support base in Beirut’s southern suburbs. Outraged residents recently erected a mock gallows in a public square, demanding the execution of collaborators.

Political analyst and Janoubia news site publisher Ali Al-Amin, a vocal critic of Hezbollah, told Asharq al-Awsat the case reveals “a deep infiltration of Hezbollah’s environment.”

He said the group’s ideology and indoctrination tactics have “left the community vulnerable and unbalanced,” making it easier for individuals to justify cooperation with Israel.

“The display of a noose in the heart of Dahiyeh is an attempt to signal that collaboration is the exception, not the norm,” Al-Amin said.

“But the rhetoric of accusing others of treason has ironically created an atmosphere where internal betrayal flourishes. Many are lured into collaboration, perhaps without fully grasping its gravity, driven by disillusionment and ideological fatigue within the Shiite community.”

The arrest of Saleh, son of a senior commander in Hezbollah’s elite Radwan Unit, sent shockwaves through the group.

Saleh, whose brother died fighting Israeli forces, had reportedly gained intimate access to Hezbollah's military leadership. For over a week, investigators questioned him about his role in leaking sensitive data, and the picture that has emerged is deeply troubling.

A judicial source said Saleh is believed to be the most dangerous operative caught since the onset of the Israel-Gaza war.

“His proximity to key figures enabled him to relay accurate coordinates and sensitive information that led to the assassination of senior Hezbollah members,” the source said.

“Among them was Hassan Bdeir, Hezbollah’s coordinator for Palestinian affairs, and his son Ali, both killed in a drone strike that hit their home in Beirut’s southern suburb of Hay al-Jamous on March 29.”

The source added that Saleh even went so far as to inform the Israelis of the names of officials set to replace assassinated commanders. He would often photograph himself with senior party figures, some of whom were later killed, and transmit the images to his handlers.

The Military Court's Government Commissioner, Judge Fadi Akiki, formally indicted Saleh on charges of “collaborating with the Israeli enemy, conspiring with it, and supplying it with information that resulted in civilian deaths.”

The charges carry penalties of up to the death sentence under Lebanese law. Saleh’s case was referred to the First Military Investigative Judge, Fadi Sawan, who was asked to interrogate the suspect and issue a formal arrest warrant.

The arrest of Saleh has become a key development in what officials now describe as a growing espionage crisis.

According to a judicial source, Saleh’s detention brings the total number of individuals held for allegedly spying for Israel to 21. The group includes 13 Lebanese nationals, six Syrians, and two Palestinians, all currently undergoing interrogation sessions before military investigative judges.

“This case is far from isolated,” the source told Asharq al-Awsat. “The wave of arrests began shortly after the ceasefire between Lebanon and Israel came into effect and has since snowballed.”

The source noted that several of the accused were recruited by Israel’s Mossad intelligence agency during the ongoing conflict, particularly after October 8, 2023 when Hezbollah opened a second front in support of Gaza.

“Some of those arrested were recruited during the war, while others were contacted before hostilities broke out,” the source added.



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.