Israel Threatens to Assassinate 4 New Hamas Figures

Hamas leaders Yahya Sinwar and Khaleel al-Hayya in 2017 (AFP)  
Hamas leaders Yahya Sinwar and Khaleel al-Hayya in 2017 (AFP)  
TT

Israel Threatens to Assassinate 4 New Hamas Figures

Hamas leaders Yahya Sinwar and Khaleel al-Hayya in 2017 (AFP)  
Hamas leaders Yahya Sinwar and Khaleel al-Hayya in 2017 (AFP)  

Israeli security sources revealed on Monday a new Hamas target list that includes the Movement’s former representative in Lebanon, Osama Hamdan, and its spokesperson, Sami Abu Zuhri, the Maariv newspaper reported.

The new list comes shortly after Israeli Defense Minister Yisrael Katz on Saturday threated to assassinate senior figures in both the political and military wings of Hamas, including Izz al-Din al-Haddad, commander of Gaza City Brigade, and Khalil al-Hayya, a prominent member of Hamas’ political bureau.

Under the headline “Top Hamas leaders in Israeli Army’s Sights,” the Maariv newspaper said that following a series of assassinations involving Hamas politburo leaders, Ismail Haniyeh and Yahya al-Sinwar, Israel is now preparing to assassinate four other leaders: Hamdan in Lebanon, Abu Zuhri in Algeria, Izz al-Din al-Haddad in Gaza, and even al-Hayya, a prominent member of Hamas’s political bureau, who is abroad leading negotiations.

Last Saturday, Israel's Shin Bet threatened in a statement to assassinate al-Hayya and al-Haddad.

Katz said: “Izz al-Din al-Haddad is in Gaza, Khaleel al-Hayya is abroad - you are next,” without providing further details.

Since the start of the war on Gaza, Israel has assassinated several Hamas leaders both inside and outside the Strip.

On Monday, Maariv confirmed that last month, eight tons of explosives thrown on a Hamas tunnel system that ran underneath the European Hospital in southern Gaza’s Khan Younis, has killed Hamas leader in Gaza Muhammad Sinwar and two of his aides, in addition to the commander of the Rafah Brigade in Hamas, Mohammed Shabana, and central Khan Yunis field commander Mahdi Kawareh.

“The arrows are now directed towards al-Haddad, who survived the attack,” the newspaper wrote.

Last October, the Israeli army had killed Mohammad Sinwar’s brother, Yahya, the leader of Hamas and an early architect of its armed wing.

Al-Haddad is dubbed “The Qassam Ghost” due to his ability to evade capture and survive multiple assassination attempts.

In Hebrew, Maariv wrote, “al-Haddad will meet his companions, (Ismail) Haniyeh, (Mohammed) Deif, and Sinwar.”

It said the next targets are Osama Hamdan, Sami Abu Zuhri and Khalil al-Hayya.

Hamdan currently oversees negotiations and was the Movement’s former representative in Lebanon. Since the start of the war, he served as Hamas spokesperson and resides mostly in Qatar.

Abu Zuhri lives in Algeria and is frequently featured in the media while al-Hayyah is the de facto Hamas leader in Gaza, a member of its leadership council, and one of the negotiators for a ceasefire with Israel.

Since the confirmed death of Muhammed Sinwar, Israel aims to target the men now emerging as the group’s de facto military leaders: al-Haddad, and al-Hayyah.

“It’s official: Mohammed al-Sinwar and Rafah Brigade Commander Mohammed Shabana have been eliminated. Israel’s long arm will reach every individual responsible for the October 7th war crimes, near or far, until all are eliminated,” Katz said in a statement issued Saturday.

Al-Haddad, nicknamed “Abu Suhaib,” commands the Gaza City Brigade of the Qassam Brigades and sits on Hamas’s inner military council.

The Israel army believes that following the elimination of senior Hamas leaders, al-Haddad now serves as the Movement’s leader in the Strip.

 

 



Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
TT

Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)

Lebanon said an Israeli strike on the country's largest Palestinian refugee camp killed two people on Friday, with Israel's army saying it had targeted the Palestinian group Hamas. 

The official National News Agency said "an Israeli drone" targeted a neighborhood of the Ain al-Hilweh camp, which is located on the outskirts of the southern city of Sidon. 

Lebanon's health ministry said two people were killed in the raid. The NNA had earlier reported one dead and an unspecified number of wounded. 

An AFP correspondent saw smoke rising from a building in the densely populated camp as ambulances headed to the scene. 

The Israeli army said in a statement that its forces "struck a Hamas command center from which terrorists operated", calling activity there "a violation of the ceasefire understandings between Israel and Lebanon" and a threat to Israel. 

The Israeli military "is operating against the entrenchment" of the Palestinian group in Lebanon and will "continue to act decisively against Hamas terrorists wherever they operate", it added. 

Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to halt more than a year of hostilities with Hezbollah. 

Israel has also struck targets belonging to Hezbollah's Palestinian ally Hamas, including in a raid on Ain al-Hilweh last November that killed 13 people. 

The UN rights office had said 11 children were killed in that strike, which Israel said targeted a Hamas training compound, though the group denied it had military installations in Palestinian camps in Lebanon. 

In October 2023, Hezbollah began launching rockets at Israel in support of Hamas at the outset of the Gaza war, triggering hostilities that culminated in two months of all-out war between Israel and the Iran-backed Lebanese group. 

On Sunday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country's east killed four people, as Israel said it targeted operatives from Palestinian group Islamic Jihad. 


UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.