Can Tourism Help Revive Egypt-Iran Relations?

Egypt’s Sisi meeting the Iranian Foreign Minister in Cairo – Egyptian Presidency
Egypt’s Sisi meeting the Iranian Foreign Minister in Cairo – Egyptian Presidency
TT

Can Tourism Help Revive Egypt-Iran Relations?

Egypt’s Sisi meeting the Iranian Foreign Minister in Cairo – Egyptian Presidency
Egypt’s Sisi meeting the Iranian Foreign Minister in Cairo – Egyptian Presidency

Iran has reiterated its desire to strengthen ties with Egypt, expressing hope for a memorandum of understanding to facilitate tourism between the two countries.

While analysts say tourism could serve as a key channel for reviving relations, they stress that Cairo remains committed to a cautious, gradual approach in its dealings with Tehran.

Speaking to Iran’s official IRNA news agency on Monday, Iranian Minister of Cultural Heritage, Tourism and Handicrafts Reza Salehi Amiri said bilateral talks have been held to resume relations with Cairo, adding that the government’s strategy aims to “reopen the path to Egypt”.

“Egypt, with its population of 115 million, has immense cultural, heritage and religious potential,” Amiri said.

“There is a genuine interest among Egyptians in developing ties with Iran, and both governments have the political will to move forward”.

He emphasized the importance of establishing formal diplomatic relations, noting that “significant steps have already been taken and there are no major obstacles to expanding tourism.”

Amiri said Tehran is eager to sign a tourism-focused memorandum of understanding with Cairo.

“The first round of talks has been held, and the negotiations are set to continue,” he said, calling for “the removal of any remaining hurdles”.

Amiri pointed to a recent visit to Cairo by Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, saying the groundwork had been laid for building diplomatic and tourism ties. “With the foreign minister’s presence and efforts, political relations will resume, and that will pave the way for deeper cultural engagement”.

Araghchi visited Egypt earlier this month and met President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi. In a joint press conference with Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty, Araghchi described the talks as unprecedented and constructive, highlighting “an advanced path toward cooperation and convergence”.

He said the two sides had agreed to maintain political consultations and work on boosting trade and tourism.

Abdelatty announced the launch of a new channel for political dialogue below the ministerial level to address various aspects of the relationship.

Amiri said Iran has invited Egyptian private sector companies to participate in large-scale tourism projects and voiced Tehran’s readiness to facilitate air and land travel, including joint historical and religious tours.

He called for activating joint hotel and tourism ventures under strategic agreements between the two nations.

Huda Raouf, a political science professor and head of the Iranian Studies Unit at the Egyptian Center for Thought and Strategic Studies, told Asharq Al-Awsat that “tourism is one of the sectors with the most potential for a breakthrough in Egypt-Iran ties, especially with Iran’s interest in religious tourism”.

But she added that Cairo remains cautious. “While Egypt is open to dialogue with Iran on several files, it is taking a deliberate and measured approach to deepening relations.”

Raouf noted that Egypt is in contact with Iran on key regional issues, including Red Sea security and the Gaza Strip, but is proceeding “with calculated steps”.

She said full normalization would only come “at a time aligned with Egypt’s national interests”.

She also pointed out that the easing of entry procedures for Iranian tourists currently applies only to South Sinai.

In March 2023, Egypt announced a package of measures to boost foreign tourism, including a provision allowing Iranian tourists to obtain visas upon arrival at airports in South Sinai.

The plan, which required tourists to travel in organized groups and through pre-coordinated tour operators, was welcomed by Tehran at the time.

Former Egyptian Assistant Foreign Minister Hussein Haridy told Asharq Al-Awsat that Iran’s push to promote religious tourism in Egypt is not new. “Cairo continues to adopt a gradual approach to building ties with Tehran,” he said.

“Developing political and diplomatic relations will have a spillover effect on other areas,” Haridy added, but cautioned that progress will unfold at a pace suitable to both sides. He linked any acceleration in bilateral engagement to the outcome of ongoing US-Iran nuclear negotiations.

This is not the first time Iran has sought to establish tourist links with Egypt. Between 2011 and 2013, similar efforts were made but failed to yield results.

The two countries severed diplomatic ties in 1979, with limited relations restored in 1990 at the chargé d’affaires level. Over the past two years, Egyptian and Iranian ministers have held multiple meetings to explore avenues for improving ties.

Ambassador Rakha Ahmed Hassan, another former Egyptian assistant foreign minister, said tourism may be the easiest entry point for broader engagement.

“There have already been discussions about launching direct flights between the two countries,” he said. “There is no fundamental reason preventing a closer relationship”.

Hassan highlighted Iran’s interest in religious tourism and sites associated with the Prophet’s family in Egypt.

Araghchi’s recent visit to Cairo included prayers at the historic Hussein Mosque and dinner at the iconic Naguib Mahfouz restaurant in the Khan el-Khalili bazaar, accompanied by prominent Egyptian figures, including former foreign ministers Amr Moussa, Nabil Fahmy and Mohamed el-Orabi.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.