Unidentified Drones Destroy Iraqi Military Radar Systems

Iraq’s Taji military base (File Photo)
Iraq’s Taji military base (File Photo)
TT

Unidentified Drones Destroy Iraqi Military Radar Systems

Iraq’s Taji military base (File Photo)
Iraq’s Taji military base (File Photo)

Iraq’s Prime Minister and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, Mohammed Shia al-Sudani, has ordered the formation of a committee to investigate a series of drone attacks targeting military radar systems at two separate bases, officials said.

The strikes hit a radar installation at the Taji military camp, north of Baghdad, and another at the Imam Ali airbase in the southern province of Dhi Qar. A third suspected drone attack reportedly struck a base near Baghdad International Airport, also housing radar systems, according to local media reports.

The incidents came shortly after US President Donald Trump announced a ceasefire between Israel and Iran, though it remained unclear whether the attacks were connected to the development.

Sudani said on Tuesday his government would not tolerate any act – internal or external – that threatens national security, vowing a firm and decisive response.

“We will not show leniency toward any aggression that harms the security of Iraq,” Sudani said during a cabinet meeting, according to state-run Iraqi News Agency (INA).

“Our response will be resolute and strong,” added Sudani.

He confirmed that Iraqi military bases were targeted in what he described as a “cowardly and treacherous” attack using explosive-laden suicide drones.

“Our armed forces and air defenses responded swiftly to other attempted attacks on different bases, successfully intercepting and downing the drones,” Sudani said, without elaborating on the origin of the attacks.

The prime minister also welcomed the recently announced ceasefire between Israel and Iran, calling it a “positive step,” and expressed hope that the truce would be “solid and lasting, not fragile.”

Sabah al-Numan, spokesperson for the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, also described the drone strikes as “cowardly and treacherous,” saying the attacks caused significant damage to radar infrastructure.

In a statement, al-Numan said a swarm of small, explosive-laden drones had struck the military installations in Taji and Dhi Qar. He confirmed there were no casualties.

Images circulating on social media showed flames engulfing the radar station at the Taji base.

“Our forces were able to thwart additional drone attacks targeting four other locations,” al-Numan added, noting that air defenses successfully downed the incoming UAVs before they reached their targets.

All of the sites targeted in the recent drone attacks were fully operated by Iraqi security forces, dismissing speculation of foreign involvement.

“All targeted locations are exclusively Iraqi military sites, overseen and operated by officers and personnel from our heroic security forces,” said al-Numan.

Following the coordinated attacks, Sudani ordered the creation of a high-level technical and intelligence committee to investigate the incidents, identify those responsible, and fully track the findings of the probe.

“These cowardly criminal acts will not go unpunished,” al-Numan said. “Our armed forces remain the unshakable shield of Iraq, defending its people, land, and sovereignty.”

Military sources revealed that the first drone strike destroyed a TPS-77 radar system at the Taji military base. A second attack targeted an AN/TPQ-36 counter-battery radar at the Imam Ali base.

Local media also reported, citing unverified sources, that a third drone targeted a US-made radar system at Victoria Base near Baghdad International Airport, which has previously hosted US troops. Authorities have yet to confirm this claim.

The strikes come amid heightened regional tensions following a US-brokered ceasefire announcement between Israel and Iran.

While no group has claimed responsibility for the attacks, the nature and precision of the strikes have raised concerns about a potential escalation.



Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
TT

Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)

Lebanon said an Israeli strike on the country's largest Palestinian refugee camp killed two people on Friday, with Israel's army saying it had targeted the Palestinian group Hamas. 

The official National News Agency said "an Israeli drone" targeted a neighborhood of the Ain al-Hilweh camp, which is located on the outskirts of the southern city of Sidon. 

Lebanon's health ministry said two people were killed in the raid. The NNA had earlier reported one dead and an unspecified number of wounded. 

An AFP correspondent saw smoke rising from a building in the densely populated camp as ambulances headed to the scene. 

The Israeli army said in a statement that its forces "struck a Hamas command center from which terrorists operated", calling activity there "a violation of the ceasefire understandings between Israel and Lebanon" and a threat to Israel. 

The Israeli military "is operating against the entrenchment" of the Palestinian group in Lebanon and will "continue to act decisively against Hamas terrorists wherever they operate", it added. 

Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to halt more than a year of hostilities with Hezbollah. 

Israel has also struck targets belonging to Hezbollah's Palestinian ally Hamas, including in a raid on Ain al-Hilweh last November that killed 13 people. 

The UN rights office had said 11 children were killed in that strike, which Israel said targeted a Hamas training compound, though the group denied it had military installations in Palestinian camps in Lebanon. 

In October 2023, Hezbollah began launching rockets at Israel in support of Hamas at the outset of the Gaza war, triggering hostilities that culminated in two months of all-out war between Israel and the Iran-backed Lebanese group. 

On Sunday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country's east killed four people, as Israel said it targeted operatives from Palestinian group Islamic Jihad. 


UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.