Damascus Aims to Resolve its Foreign Disputes by End of 2025

US President Donald Trump and Syrian President Ahmed Al-Sharaa exchanged a handshake during a meeting in Riyadh on May 14, in a rare and symbolic gesture amid shifting regional dynamics. (AP)
US President Donald Trump and Syrian President Ahmed Al-Sharaa exchanged a handshake during a meeting in Riyadh on May 14, in a rare and symbolic gesture amid shifting regional dynamics. (AP)
TT

Damascus Aims to Resolve its Foreign Disputes by End of 2025

US President Donald Trump and Syrian President Ahmed Al-Sharaa exchanged a handshake during a meeting in Riyadh on May 14, in a rare and symbolic gesture amid shifting regional dynamics. (AP)
US President Donald Trump and Syrian President Ahmed Al-Sharaa exchanged a handshake during a meeting in Riyadh on May 14, in a rare and symbolic gesture amid shifting regional dynamics. (AP)

Syria said it aims to resolve all outstanding foreign policy disputes by the end of the year, in a move that follows Washington’s decision to fully lift sanctions on Damascus.

Qutaiba Idlbi, Director of US Affairs at Syria’s Foreign Ministry, told state television on Tuesday that Syria is “working to zero out its external problems by the end of this year and open a new chapter with the international community.”

His comments come amid reports of a potential Syrian-Israeli agreement before year-end.

The statement follows US President Donald Trump’s move to lift all sanctions on Syria, an unprecedented decision welcomed by Damascus as a turning point.

Idlbi said the move was a response to “the efforts led by the Syrian government,” calling it “the start of a path whose results Syrians will feel in their daily lives soon.”

Syrian Finance Minister Mohammad Yassar Barniyeh described the US decision as “a major and important step” that will positively impact the country’s economy. He said the government was determined to “seize every opportunity, strengthen financial management and promote transparency.”

Syria’s Central Bank Governor, Abdelkader Hasriyeh, also praised the US move, calling it a “historic development and a decisive step” toward Syria’s economic recovery.

“The United States saw in Syria’s fundamental transformation a rare and timely opportunity to reorder the region,” said Abdul Hamid Tawfiq, a political analyst, speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat.

He said Syria’s exit from the anti-American axis it had been part of for over five decades marked the beginning of a realignment under US influence.

According to Tawfiq, Washington had long managed the Syrian crisis, before and during the uprising, through calculated diplomacy, with a strategic view of Syria’s importance.

“The US has handled the Syrian file with considerable finesse and a keen reading of shifting interests. Syria became a key test case for reshaping the entire Middle East,” he said.

He added that reintegrating Syria, given its geopolitical and strategic weight, into the US sphere of influence would require ending hostilities between Syria and Israel, as well as between Israel and certain Arab capitals.

Tawfiq said the lifting of sanctions followed “clear and serious understandings” between Damascus and Washington, including commitments from Syria to distance itself from Iran, reduce Russian influence, expel Palestinian factions from the capital, and align with US-led efforts against terrorist groups such as ISIS.

Washington’s enthusiasm over Syria’s policy shift reflects a broader US strategic agenda in the region, one that ultimately serves Israeli interests, according to Tawfiq.

He told Asharq Al-Awsat that the full lifting of US sanctions could be “a starting point for a negotiation process aimed at achieving long-awaited peace between Syria and Israel,” given Syria’s pivotal role in the region’s stability.

“If Syria takes a step toward Israel, whether through formal negotiations, new security arrangements that safeguard mutual interests, freezing the frontlines, or establishing a level of security coordination, it will have a stabilizing effect on Syria and the wider region,” he said.

The key question, Tawfiq noted, is whether any upcoming negotiations would be based on international resolutions that affirm the Golan Heights as Syrian territory occupied by Israel, particularly UN Security Council Resolutions 242 and 338, or whether a new, US-brokered formula will emerge.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio had earlier said Washington is taking additional steps to support a stable, unified Syria that can live in peace with itself and its neighbors, adding that sanctions “will not stand in the way of Syria’s future.”

Damascus has also announced it is moving away from the foreign policy legacy of the previous regime, which it says turned Syria into “the region’s biggest blackmailing power” in pursuit of narrow interests, according to Idlbi.

In remarks carried by state media, Idlbi said Syria is taking steps to dismantle the remnants of that approach and reaffirm its commitment to more constructive international engagement. He pointed to Syria’s cooperation on the chemical weapons file, which he said “brought nothing but destruction and death to the Syrian people.”

Idlbi added that the coming months would see significant breakthroughs on the sanctions front, signaling growing confidence in Damascus that international restrictions will continue to ease.



Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
TT

Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)

Lebanon said an Israeli strike on the country's largest Palestinian refugee camp killed two people on Friday, with Israel's army saying it had targeted the Palestinian group Hamas. 

The official National News Agency said "an Israeli drone" targeted a neighborhood of the Ain al-Hilweh camp, which is located on the outskirts of the southern city of Sidon. 

Lebanon's health ministry said two people were killed in the raid. The NNA had earlier reported one dead and an unspecified number of wounded. 

An AFP correspondent saw smoke rising from a building in the densely populated camp as ambulances headed to the scene. 

The Israeli army said in a statement that its forces "struck a Hamas command center from which terrorists operated", calling activity there "a violation of the ceasefire understandings between Israel and Lebanon" and a threat to Israel. 

The Israeli military "is operating against the entrenchment" of the Palestinian group in Lebanon and will "continue to act decisively against Hamas terrorists wherever they operate", it added. 

Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to halt more than a year of hostilities with Hezbollah. 

Israel has also struck targets belonging to Hezbollah's Palestinian ally Hamas, including in a raid on Ain al-Hilweh last November that killed 13 people. 

The UN rights office had said 11 children were killed in that strike, which Israel said targeted a Hamas training compound, though the group denied it had military installations in Palestinian camps in Lebanon. 

In October 2023, Hezbollah began launching rockets at Israel in support of Hamas at the outset of the Gaza war, triggering hostilities that culminated in two months of all-out war between Israel and the Iran-backed Lebanese group. 

On Sunday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country's east killed four people, as Israel said it targeted operatives from Palestinian group Islamic Jihad. 


UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.