Lebanese PM Makes Brief Visit to Paris, Secures French Support

French President Emmanuel Macron (R) greets Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam (L) upon his arrival at the Elysee Palace in Paris, France, 24 July 2025. (EPA)
French President Emmanuel Macron (R) greets Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam (L) upon his arrival at the Elysee Palace in Paris, France, 24 July 2025. (EPA)
TT

Lebanese PM Makes Brief Visit to Paris, Secures French Support

French President Emmanuel Macron (R) greets Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam (L) upon his arrival at the Elysee Palace in Paris, France, 24 July 2025. (EPA)
French President Emmanuel Macron (R) greets Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam (L) upon his arrival at the Elysee Palace in Paris, France, 24 July 2025. (EPA)

Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam concluded a short but significant visit to Paris this week, where he met with French President Emmanuel Macron for a working lunch focused on Lebanon’s internal situation and regional developments.

Contrary to earlier reports suggesting that Macron had summoned Salam to the Elysee, diplomatic sources clarified that the visit had been scheduled last month, prior to a cancelled French-hosted summit initially planned for June 17–18. This was the PM's first visit to France since his appointment to his post earlier this year.

The discussions touched on Lebanon’s political and economic challenges, as well as broader issues including Syria, the war in Gaza, and tensions with Iran.

Speaking to a small group of journalists at the Lebanese Embassy in Paris, Salam emphasized that Lebanon remains insulated from regional instability, referencing recent unrest in Syria’s Sweida province.

He credited local mediation efforts by political and religious figures, notably Druze leader Walid Jumblatt, with helping maintain internal calm.

On the future of the UN peacekeeping mission (UNIFIL) in southern Lebanon, Salam dismissed fears of its withdrawal amid reports of US and Israeli pressure.

While acknowledging concerns over potential US funding cuts to the peacekeeping operations, he said these are unlikely to threaten UNIFIL’s presence.

Salam affirmed Lebanon’s continued need for the force until the Lebanese Army is sufficiently supported, and highlighted France’s historical leadership role in shaping UNIFIL’s mandate.

He also addressed criticism of the armistice monitoring committee - of which France is a member - noting that while its performance may fall short of Lebanese expectations, it remains active as part of a broader Franco-American coordination.

Turning to the issue of Syrian refugees in Lebanon, Salam offered an optimistic outlook. He stated that his government had achieved tangible progress in cooperation with the UNHCR and Syrian authorities, aiming for the safe and dignified return of displaced Syrians.

According to Salam, over 120,000 refugees have returned since the beginning of the year, and many have been removed from both Lebanese and UNHCR records. He downplayed recent reports of a new influx from Syria, estimating the numbers at no more than 60,000.

Salam also revealed that Macron expressed support for Lebanon’s reform efforts, including financial reforms. However, he noted that France has not yet set a date for a proposed economic aid conference, pending concrete reform steps.

Upon returning to Beirut, Salam thanked France for its continued support for Lebanon’s security, sovereignty, and prosperity, and reaffirmed Macron’s commitment to strengthening bilateral ties across security, economic, and cultural sectors.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.