Lebanon's UN Refugee Agency Chief Hopes at Least 200,000 Syrian Refugees Return under New Plan

In this Monday, April 23, 2018 photo, Syrian refugee children play outside their family tents at a Syrian refugee camp in the town of Bar Elias, in Lebanon's Bekaa Valley. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
In this Monday, April 23, 2018 photo, Syrian refugee children play outside their family tents at a Syrian refugee camp in the town of Bar Elias, in Lebanon's Bekaa Valley. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
TT

Lebanon's UN Refugee Agency Chief Hopes at Least 200,000 Syrian Refugees Return under New Plan

In this Monday, April 23, 2018 photo, Syrian refugee children play outside their family tents at a Syrian refugee camp in the town of Bar Elias, in Lebanon's Bekaa Valley. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
In this Monday, April 23, 2018 photo, Syrian refugee children play outside their family tents at a Syrian refugee camp in the town of Bar Elias, in Lebanon's Bekaa Valley. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)

The UN refugee agency's representative in Lebanon said Thursday he hopes that at least 200,000 Syrian refugees return from Lebanon by the end of the year under a new government-backed return plan.

Before former President Bashar Assad was ousted in a lightning insurgent offensive in December, only about 1% of the Syrian refugees in Lebanon said they were planning to return, UNHCR’s outgoing Lebanon Representative Ivo Freijsen said.

“That has now changed ... 24% of the Syrian refugee community in Lebanon is now thinking or planning about going back during the next 12 months. So that's a very positive shift," Freijsen told The Associated Press in an interview.

Syria’s uprising-turned-conflict displaced half of the country’s prewar population of 23 million over the last 14 years. Lebanon hosted an estimated 1.5 million refugees, making up roughly a quarter of Lebanon’s six million people at one point. Officials estimate that at least 1 million refugees are still in the country today.

Scaling up a new return plan

The UNHCR had said for years that Syria was not yet safe for return, despite mounting pressure from Lebanese authorities since the country plunged into an economic crisis in 2019.

That policy has changed since the Assad dynasty's decades-long autocratic rule came to an end. Many of the refugees in Lebanon had fled because they were political opponents of Assad or to avoid forced conscription into his army.

Freijsen said that the agency was able to confirm at least 120,000 Syrian refugees leaving Lebanon since Assad's fall without any help from UN groups or charities.

“But we now have this scheme available, and we hope to be able to scale up,” Freijsen said. “Collectively, we have now made it as easy as possible for Syrians to go back to Syria, to their home country.”

Under the plan, the UNHCR and International Organization for Migration will provide $100 for each family member and transportation by bus, while the Lebanese authorities would waive any outstanding fees or fines that they owe for violating residency requirements.

Once they cross the border, the UN agencies will help the returning refugees secure missing documents, offer legal and mental health support, and some aid.

At least 17,000 Syrians have signed up so far, with most opting to take their own vehicles. Freijsen observed a small test run on Tuesday of 72 Syrians leaving by bus through Lebanon's Masnaa border crossing with Syria. He said about a quarter of surveyed Syrian refugees want to return or plan to do so in the next year, a surge from almost none less than a year ago.

“We have a most ambitious target, objective and hope, of 400,000 (returns) by the end of this year. Again that's most optimistic,” he said. “But if we get a final figure by the year between 200,000 and 400,000, that would be very positive.”

Syria's economy still far from recovered

The UN estimates it will cost hundreds of billions of dollars to rebuild Syria and make its economy viable again, when 90% of its population lives in poverty. A new administration led by interim President Ahmad al-Sharaa has restored diplomatic ties with Arab Gulf nations and Western nations. US President Donald Trump recently announced that Washington would lift sanctions from Syria, which swiftly paved the way for large business deals with Türkiye, Qatar, Saudi Arabia.

But Syria will need to time for its economy to bounce back, and its new authorities are still struggling with exerting their authority across the entire country as they try to reach settlement with opposing groups that have at times led to violent conflict. UN agencies have also faced massive budget cuts which have scaled down the size of their teams and the amount of aid they can give. All that could hamper the sustainability of refugees returning home, Freijsen warned.

“People are prepared to go back with lots of issues and struggle and issues to overcome, provided that they can also earn a living. And that is still difficult,” said Freijsen.

Meanwhile, over 100,000 new Syrian refugees have fled to Lebanon since Assad's fall, mainly from the Shiite Muslim community fearful of revenge against them by the new authorities.

They were followed by tens of thousands of members of the Alawite religious minority from Syria's coastal province who fled after an insurgent attack on the new authorities by Assad loyalists turned into dayslong conflict and led to targeted sectarian revenge attacks that killed hundreds of mostly Alawite civilians.

The new refugees have arrived at a time when aid is shrinking for the refugees already present.

“We are most impressed by what local authorities and communities are doing to receive them. And we try to support them," Freijsen said. “But we think it’s going to take a little bit of time before these people can start to have the confidence to go back, because what they have gone through is quite atrocious."



Libya’s Ramadan Celebrations Tempered by Economic Woes

A family walks on their way to shop for Ramadan decorations ahead of the holy month of Ramadan in Benghazi, Libya, February 16, 2026. (Reuters)
A family walks on their way to shop for Ramadan decorations ahead of the holy month of Ramadan in Benghazi, Libya, February 16, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Libya’s Ramadan Celebrations Tempered by Economic Woes

A family walks on their way to shop for Ramadan decorations ahead of the holy month of Ramadan in Benghazi, Libya, February 16, 2026. (Reuters)
A family walks on their way to shop for Ramadan decorations ahead of the holy month of Ramadan in Benghazi, Libya, February 16, 2026. (Reuters)

Libyans have been enjoying Ramadan with feasts and fireworks -- but soaring prices, a devalued currency and political divisions have left many with little to celebrate.

Fifteen years on from the fall of longtime leader Moammar al-Gaddafi, the country remains split between east and west, while shortages of goods, including fuel, disrupt daily life, despite Libya sitting atop vast oil and gas reserves.

During the holy month of Ramadan, shoppers stock up on treats, as families gather for lavish meals before and after the daytime fast that stretches from sunrise to sunset.

But this year supermarkets have been rationing their goods, while many petrol stations are short of gas. In the capital Tripoli, most ATMs were out of cash this week.

Firas Zreeg, 37, told AFP while weaving through a crowded supermarket that the economy was deteriorating, blaming currency speculators for the fall in the dinar, "which has negative repercussions on our daily lives".

The price of cooking oil has doubled in recent weeks, while meat and poultry prices rose by half.

Refills of gas cylinders, officially priced at 1.5 dinars ($0.24) but often unavailable through state-run distributors, now sell for 75 dinars ($11.85) on the black market and at times more.

- 'Burden on citizens' -

Libya has struggled to recover from the chaos that erupted following the 2011 uprising that toppled Gaddafi.

It remains divided between the Government of National Unity (GNU) based in Tripoli and an eastern administration backed by Libyan National Army (LNA) commander Khalifa Haftar.

The country has largely been stable in recent years although there have been bouts of deadly violence, including the killing of Gaddafi's son and heir apparent Seif al-Islam this month.

With security holding, many Libyans are more focused on their livelihoods.

Last month, the central bank in the western territory devalued the dinar -- the second time in less than a year -- by nearly 15 percent, "aimed at preserving financial and monetary stability and ensuring the sustainability of public resources".

In an address this week, GNU leader Abdulhamid Dbeibah acknowledged that the devaluation had once again "put the burden on citizens".

Hanna Tetteh, head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya, warned on Wednesday that "poverty and pressure on society [are] increasing".

"The situation, in addition to the fragile security landscape, should be a matter for concern as such conditions can lead to unexpected political and security challenges," she told the UN Security Council.

Libya's other economic problems included the absence of a unified national budget, in light of its political divide, as well as uncoordinated public spending due to parallel state institutions, Tetteh said.

Revenues from the oil industry were also declining, she added, while the central bank has said public spending is growing at an unsustainable pace.

On Tuesday, Libya marked 15 years since the start of the uprising, with fireworks lighting up the sky in Tripoli, but for many Libyans life remains a struggle.

"Minor improvements in security were made over the past three years," Zreeg told AFP, but Libyans are still faced with huge economic challenges.


Libya PM Undergoes 'Successful' Treatment at Heart Hospital

Head of Libya's Government of National Unity (GNU) Abdulhamid Dbeibah. (GNU)
Head of Libya's Government of National Unity (GNU) Abdulhamid Dbeibah. (GNU)
TT

Libya PM Undergoes 'Successful' Treatment at Heart Hospital

Head of Libya's Government of National Unity (GNU) Abdulhamid Dbeibah. (GNU)
Head of Libya's Government of National Unity (GNU) Abdulhamid Dbeibah. (GNU)

Libya's Prime Minister Abdulhamid Dbeibah has undergone "successful" treatment at a heart hospital, his office said Saturday, but his specific ailment was not disclosed.

"I assure you that I am fine, by God's grace," said a statement posted on social media overnight.

The treatment was carried out at a facility in the northwestern Libyan city of Misrata on an undisclosed date, said AFP.

Dbeibah said he later travelled abroad for "additional medical checkups for reassurance", though this was not the primary reason for his trip.

Italian media outlets previously reported he had been admitted to a leading cardiac facility in Milan on Thursday for a general check-up.

"The matter is simply that I underwent some additional medical checkups for reassurance while I was abroad due to a prior external commitment," he said.

"The results confirmed the success of the treatment I received in Libya, praise be to God."

The prime minister leads a UN-recognized government based in Tripoli that controls western Libya, while the country's east is run by another administration backed by military strongman Khalifa Haftar.

Libya has remained divided since chaos erupted following the 2011 Arab Spring uprising that toppled longtime leader Muammar Gaddafi.


Eight Hezbollah Members Killed in Israel’s Friday Strikes on Lebanon

A bulldozer clears debris near heavily-damaged buildings in the village of Bednayel in Lebanon's eastern Bekaa Valley region on February 21, 2026, following Israeli strikes. (AFP)
A bulldozer clears debris near heavily-damaged buildings in the village of Bednayel in Lebanon's eastern Bekaa Valley region on February 21, 2026, following Israeli strikes. (AFP)
TT

Eight Hezbollah Members Killed in Israel’s Friday Strikes on Lebanon

A bulldozer clears debris near heavily-damaged buildings in the village of Bednayel in Lebanon's eastern Bekaa Valley region on February 21, 2026, following Israeli strikes. (AFP)
A bulldozer clears debris near heavily-damaged buildings in the village of Bednayel in Lebanon's eastern Bekaa Valley region on February 21, 2026, following Israeli strikes. (AFP)

Attacks carried out by Israel on Friday in eastern Lebanon killed eight members of Hezbollah, an official from the group told AFP on Saturday.

Lebanon's health ministry said Friday that a total of 10 people were killed in strikes that hit the eastern Bekaa region.

The Israeli military said it targeted "several terrorists of Hezbollah's missile array in three different command centers in the Baalbek area".

Lebanon's president on Saturday condemned the attacks, the latest despite a ceasefire with Hezbollah.

In a statement, Joseph Aoun called the attacks "a blatant act of aggression aimed at thwarting diplomatic efforts" by the United States and other nations to establish stability.

A lawmaker from Hezbollah called on Beirut to suspend meetings of a multinational committee tasked with monitoring the truce.

Washington is one of five members on the committee overseeing the ceasefire implemented in November 2024, with the body scheduled to meet again next week.

Israel has repeatedly bombed Lebanon despite the ceasefire, usually saying it is targeting Hezbollah but occasionally also the group's Palestinian ally Hamas.

The Friday attacks on southern and eastern Lebanon killed 12 people, according to the health ministry, 10 of them in the east of the country.

Israel's military said it struck "several terrorists of Hezbollah's missile array in three different command centers in the Baalbek area".

Hezbollah said a commander was killed in the raids. Its lawmaker Rami Abu Hamdan said on Saturday the group "will not accept the authorities acting as mere political analysts, dismissing these as Israeli strikes we have grown accustomed to before every meeting of the committee".

He called on Beirut to "suspend the committee's meetings until the enemy ceases its attacks".

Hezbollah, while weakened following war with Israel, remains a strong political force in Lebanon represented in parliament.

Lebanon's government last year committed to disarming the Iran-backed group, with the army saying last month it had completed the first phase of the plan covering the area near the Israeli border.

Israel, which accuses Hezbollah of rearming since the war, has called the Lebanese army's progress on disarming the group insufficient.